Nac252 Supercap Subwoofer crossover help please!

Posted by: GMHR on 03 June 2015

HI,

I have a nac252, nap250, supercap with an AV2 going through the unity gain on the 252 for surround.

I also have a set of M&K satelight speakers and a M&K MX 7000SF Sub woofer.

Before I bought the nac252, nap250, supercap I had the crossover on the AV2 set to 80 and the subwoofer set to bypass and everything was fine.

Now I have both the supercap and the AV2 connected to the sub through RCA cables, as the NAC252/SUPERCAP doesn't have a crossover setting, what setting should I have the subwoofer crossover set to? should it still be set to bypass? or should I set it to 80? Many thanks 

Posted on: 03 June 2015 by Richard Dane

For the 2 channel connection from the Supercap you should have the sub set for cut-off. 80Hz sounds like it should be fine.  For the AV2 LFE connection You can do either - i.e. cut off at AV2 or at Sub (presumably the subwoofer allows this).

Posted on: 04 June 2015 by GMHR

Many thanks for your reply Richard, so I imagine that if I have the AV2 set to crossover at 80 and the sub set to crossover at 80 that would be a smooth crossover, as the satelights go down to 80?

Thanks

Posted on: 04 June 2015 by Richard Dane

Yes, just don't have both AV2 and sub set for a crossover on the same input - you are then applying two filters on the signal where only one is needed.  Also don't be afraid to experiment a bit with different crossover points, the effect of the room can mean that some points work better than others, and the sats won't be hitting a brick wall at 80Hz. 

Posted on: 04 June 2015 by GMHR

Thanks, I think thats where I  might run into problems as with the supercap there is no crossover so it has be be set at the sub. but then the the AV2 is running into the same sub that is now crossing over at 80 for the supercap, but the AV2 is also set to 80. Is is possible to bypass the crossover at the AV2 so it just happens at the sub for both? Thanks

Posted on: 04 June 2015 by rackkit

I let the my AV2 do crossover duties for surround as but have a separate (RCA) connection from the Supercap so let the n-Sub perform it for 2 channel use if that's any help. Not sure if your MK Sub has multiple inputs though.