AV Tuning

Posted by: Mr Underhill on 11 June 2015

With the help of a friend I have been tuning my system and so thought I would post some notes.

I have made a few changes over the last year:

1. New Audio Physic Centre (tonally matches my Living Voice mains);

2. Focal Dome rears;

3. MJ Acoustics Pro 50 sub for the Domes;

4. Transferred my REL Strata III from the mains to the centre.

New Centre

I find tonal changes very distracting, great relief to find a matching centre - great deal of luck!

Focal Domes

I have been using my Linn Kans for MANY years as my rears, but they are not really suited to this, and positionally are not ideal. The domes are very flexible in terms of placement.

MJ Acoustics Pro 50

Great little sub, which sits behind my chair almost opposite the REL. Initially connected with just the Hi-Level in support of the Domes. I later also plugged in the LFE, which I later removed.

REL Moved to support the AP Centre

Good suggestion from my friend. The LV go down to 25Hz anyway. The Audio Physic cuts off at 40Hz.

Oppo 105D

Set all the speakers to FULL, which also removes a -10db step from the sub output.

My friend used a spectrum analyser on his phone plus a selection of well known film passages. The end result sounded great, but I have been doing further tuning since, mainly winding back the sub output! Reminds me of when I first bought the REL.

I downloaded and converted a selection of files to assist with the tuning, including stepped bass sweeps from 200Hz down to 5Hz and the DTS HD-Audio tests.

Warning: If you choose to download test files from YouTube be aware that whatever the poster describes them as YT do a further conversion, for instance reducing 5.1 to stereo.

I loaded up Android 'Spectrum Analyse', which I used in conjunction with the test files.

I have to say that I am revisiting LOTS of films at the moment - my system sounds GREAT, and I include films in glorious mono, for instance 'House of Games' that I reviewed yesterday. Moving the REL onto the centre was very good advice.

M

Posted on: 16 June 2015 by rackkit

Interesting reading Mr Underhill. Despite using a sound meter as the AV2 doesn't have room or speaker equalisatio, I often find the centre channel doesn't project enough. I've set all speakers to measure the same levels as well as the different distances from the sweet spot. Is the remedy simply to up the level of the centre speaker? 

Posted on: 17 June 2015 by Mr Underhill

Hi Rackkit,

In my system I set things up to get the volumes to sound the same using a SPL meter, as you do. I then use my ears using various test pieces; which now includes the spectrum analyser and test tones.

My personal experience, and I'll be interested in what others say, is that this can be less than straight-forward when using unmatched speakers, which has usually been my position with main and centre .....and so I would let your ears be the final arbiter.

M

Posted on: 17 June 2015 by rackkit

I'm using SL2s for main fronts, Axess for centre, N-Sats for rears. I'm guessing the front speakers are a fairly close match with the rears not needing to be as critical? I'll have a play with some test tones too. I'm guessing there'll be a few about on YouTube that I can use. 

Posted on: 17 June 2015 by rackkit

Will have to forget using the You Tube app on the Virgin TiVo box - it's been unavailable for a while it seems. Virgin really are useless and I wonder what I'm paying for. Discovered there are more HD channels available on FreeView than the M package I'm paying for. 

Im out of contract so I think it's time for another call to their retentions dept. 

Posted on: 18 June 2015 by Mr Underhill

Hi Rackkit,

That must be giving you some great results. I remember when the AV2 first came out and I borrowed one and immediately bought it - my whole system just felt as though it clicked. I never thought that the AV2 was brilliant at sound steering, but the soundfield and music were superb.

As I said above be careful about YT, it can transcribe what was uploaded. Some of the postings give other links to unmodified files ....as always, a degree of trust involved.

There are other sites that do have test tones, including frequency sweeps. I changed the file packaging to MKV so I could stream it through the Oppo.

Stereo files were fine for the Mains and rear. The DTS file helped me confirm I had the phasing right.

I tested using the tones based on: Main; Centre; and Rear. I would only have the channel being tested power amp turned on at the time.

What movie sections do you use for testing?

M

Posted on: 18 June 2015 by rackkit
Originally Posted by Mr Underhill:

Hi Rackkit,

That must be giving you some great results. I remember when the AV2 first came out and I borrowed one and immediately bought it - my whole system just felt as though it clicked. I never thought that the AV2 was brilliant at sound steering, but the soundfield and music were superb.

As I said above be careful about YT, it can transcribe what was uploaded. Some of the postings give other links to unmodified files ....as always, a degree of trust involved.

There are other sites that do have test tones, including frequency sweeps. I changed the file packaging to MKV so I could stream it through the Oppo.

Stereo files were fine for the Mains and rear. The DTS file helped me confirm I had the phasing right.

I tested using the tones based on: Main; Centre; and Rear. I would only have the channel being tested power amp turned on at the time.

What movie sections do you use for testing?

M

I use analogue outputs from a Denon 3800 Blu-Ray player into the AV2 for movies, so i guess that it takes of steering effects. 

I've only used the AV2 & Denon's speaker set up so far & used a RadioShack sound meter to get the levels the same from each speaker, so whether that's the best way to do it I'm not sure. Not really found much info on level setting when I've searched. Seems to be a bit of a grey area. 

Some films seem to project the centre better than others, so maybe what I'm hearing is correct but do winder at times given that the Axess is driven by a NAP V145 amp (200 on the rears, 300 the fronts, n-Sub obviously has it's own amp. Not really done testing with any particular films but the opening scene from Saving Private Ryan is a good test of any system. It can actually found pretty frightening if you let the volume loose! 

Posted on: 20 June 2015 by Mr Underhill

As you say there is variability across films. Personally I have tried to use what are considered to be great soundtracks to test how well I have things tuned, hence me asking in another thread what other people use.

I asked my friend over to tune the setup, and to get an independent set of ears to check what I was hearing. Ultimately I think that the test is whether you are enjoying what you are hearing .....and I would hope that with your system it is excellent. I use a CB 250 for my centre, but that is obviously only one channel.

I have found that adding the second sub has been interesting, and will be playing with it further over the next few months.

M

Posted on: 20 June 2015 by rackkit
Originally Posted by Mr Underhill:

As you say there is variability across films. Personally I have tried to use what are considered to be great soundtracks to test how well I have things tuned, hence me asking in another thread what other people use.

I asked my friend over to tune the setup, and to get an independent set of ears to check what I was hearing. Ultimately I think that the test is whether you are enjoying what you are hearing .....and I would hope that with your system it is excellent. I use a CB 250 for my centre, but that is obviously only one channel.

I have found that adding the second sub has been interesting, and will be playing with it further over the next few months.

M

I might get hold of a test disc & run it through the Denon 3800. Just tried doing it via YouTube, going to the trouble hooking up a Mac Mini to the AV2 & tv (Pioneer Kuro - great picture quality!) but Apple have now disabled 5.1 in their latest OS X, 2 channel only available now (thanks for that Apple). Guessing Apple TV has 5.1 but i don't own one. 

I'll give another film a whirl tonight and have play with the centre channel levels. 

Posted on: 19 July 2015 by Felty99

Rackkit, interested to know if you drew any final conclusions from your testing?

Posted on: 25 July 2015 by rackkit
Originally Posted by Felty99:

Rackkit, interested to know if you drew any final conclusions from your testing?

Hi Felty.

We've not got round to watching a film for the last few weeks but will let you know how the tests play out when we do.

Cheers,

Rack.

Posted on: 02 August 2015 by rackkit
Originally Posted by rackkit:
Originally Posted by Felty99:

Hi Felty.

We've not got round to watching a film for the last few weeks but will let you know how the tests play out when we do.

Cheers,

Rack.

We watched 'Fury' last night & the dialogue sounded fine. I think it just comes down to how the sound engineer has mixed the centre channel balance, so I'll leave the settings as they are.