nVi with Amazon Fire TV sound issue

Posted by: HT-Naimee on 08 August 2015

Hello all

I just hooked up an Amazon FireTV to my nVi using an optical cable. But the sound is off. I think it is either too slow or too fast. Could it be that the nVi is not properly recognizing the sample rate?

I cannot find an option to changing this in the menu or to check the setting but I recall from memory that there was once such an issue reported.

Is anybody else using a FireTV with an nVi? Downton Abbey is just no fun if the pitch of their voices are all messed up :-D

Thank you all!

Posted on: 08 August 2015 by Richard Dane

I don't know the Amazon Fire unit but a look at the specs shows it uses Dolby Digital Plus, so maybe an incompatibility? (you would need to check with Naim here). Either way, I see it will also do 2 channel PCM so you should be able to set it to output 2 channel PCM in the setup or service menu of the Fire.

Posted on: 08 August 2015 by HT-Naimee

Hi Richard,

I checked the FireTV. You can disable Dolby Digital Plus, but the content doesn't use it anyway. Still I disabled it, but the sound is still out of pitch. I think the voices are deeper and slower.

I also tried Kodi/XBMC and played a file with stereo sound and it was the same.

I think I once had to set the input to 44.1kHz for something and was told how to do so manually. Now I am guessing that the FireTV is set to output 48kHz, so the sound is distorted because the nVi is set to a different frequency/sample rate.

Does anybody recall how to change this?

I hope I don't need the display becasue I am one of the unlucky ones with a dead display and the power supply bug (standby for more than 24h requires a hard-off).

Thanks everybody

Posted on: 12 August 2015 by GreenAlex
Who would one contact about this? Is there still an "av@naim"?
Posted on: 12 August 2015 by Richard Dane

Best to e-mail Naim support directly.

Posted on: 12 August 2015 by Mike1380
Just checked on my n-Vi.

Set input to disc
Predd and hold ANGLE button on remote.
This gives access to Service Menu on front display.

3rd option down is PCM Freq

Going into this, if your nVi has been firmware updated to latest version, all three Digital inputs should be set to AUTO

You can manually adjust to 32kHz, 44.1kHz or 48kHz.

Exitin back to the Service menu, press SETUP on your remote to put the n-Vi back into regular operation.

Mine are on Auto and happily deal with an Oppo BluRay player and BT Youview

Also, do check your firmware is the most recent. I think there's an area in FAQ with the version numbers but with the remote in DVD mode, pressing and holding PROG will call up Software Versions

Hope this helps

Mike
Posted on: 13 August 2015 by HT-Naimee

Thank you Mike, that's the menu I was looking for. I think I had to set the input manually as the nVi did not recognize it by itself.

However, is the service menu solely dispalyed on the built-in display or also output via HDMI? My internal display has faded and is now dead

Posted on: 13 August 2015 by Mike1380
It's front panel display only. Sorry

When my original display failed, naim replaced it for free, but I don't know if the n-Vi is still supported in terms of parts availability anymore. Worth a question to your dealer/importer.

For what it's worth, a dead display can upset the workings of the n-Vi in my experience, so that might not be helping, and if you're running older firmware that could also be an issue.

I know I've hit a lucky spot with mine, and I do have a game plan for when it finally dies (Oppo105D and either 2xNap100 or used NAP-V175 to replace it, using the Oppo's built in processor), but I completely understand why you're hanging on as a great sounding n-Vi is hard to beat.

One other idea....
Don't take the optical feed straight from the Amazon unit.... let the audio run over HDMI to your TV and take the sound from your TV's optical out. Might work??? It's how I get both XBOX and Youview sound to my n-Vi as both have optical outs and I only have one optical in.

Hope this helps

Mike
Posted on: 14 August 2015 by GreenAlex
Unfortunately the TV only outputs stereo via optical. It does not pass Dolby.

May i bother you once more?
Does the service menu also have a reset function? Without the display I cannot see which setting the frequency is set to but if there is a reset, then I could try to blindly navigate there

To my knowledge a new display used to be free of charge for the parts, but labour ran about 250€.

P.S.: To get into the service menu, did you select AV or DVD on the remote?
Posted on: 15 August 2015 by Mike1380
Ok

First off, I ran my nVi with a broken display for a month a few years ago, but rapidly discovered that 'driving it with a flat tyre' was beginning to badly affect other aspects of it. A broken display apparently upsets the whole applecart.
I would strongly urge you to get it fixed, or to start looking to replace it.

Moving on, selecting the service menu was with the remote in DVD mode.

If you want to do a factory reset, blind, this is the sequence using the keys on the front of the unit, BUT FIRST make sure you've made a note of ALL of your speaker size, distance, level, lipsync settings from the Setup menu via your TV....

Put in DISC input first.

Press and hold MODE for about 2 seconds (if the buttons still illuminate, -vol, input, stop, play and prev should light up to form an up down left right and enter joypad configuration)

Press PREV four times (this would take you to Other Settings if the display worked)

Please PLAY once

Press PREV twice (would take you to System Reset)

Press PLAY once

Press PREV four times to go to Factory Reset

Press PLAY once

At this point you would have a warning notice on the screen

Press STOP to initiate the reset

Wait about a minute for the reset to go through

Power off at the switch on the back

Power back on after a minute, bring the unit out of standby, and keep your fingers crossed

Now go back into setup via a onscreen menus on your TV and bung your settings back in.

Good luck

Mike
Posted on: 16 August 2015 by GreenAlex
Wow!!!
Thank you, Mike! You are amazingly kind and helpful

The reset seems to have worked. All settings were reset. So your instructions were spot on!
Now the problem remains. So either the reset does not reset the  secret factory settings like the 48kHz or thr "auto" setting does not work with the FireTV. The pitch of all voices is still to low.

I am in contact with Naim about replacing the display. May I ask, did the new display fix the standby issue? Even before the display died thr nVi did not wake from standby if standby was longer than 24-36h.

Anyway, I guess adjusting the sampling frequency is the same procedure? Mode and then navigating to a different option?
Posted on: 16 August 2015 by Mike1380
Hi Alex

First off the sample frequency change will show up under a different menu structure to the one above. The setup menu can be accessed via the remote by a long press of the Setup button on the remote. Whereas sample freq is by the other set of instructions

As for standby.... don't know. I leave my nVi permanently on. It seems to keep it stable, and I've only had to do one hard power cycle on the nVi in the last 8 months.

Bottom line, if they can fix it, don't use standby mode. Hopefully that'll keep your nVi (and mine) working until the piggy banks are full for a replacement.

All the best

Mike
Posted on: 17 August 2015 by GreenAlex
I didn't think it would, but it did work!
I followed your first instructions and intuitivley just pressed play and stop and it seems that I somehow changed the sample frequency either to 48kHz or to Auto. cannot tell without the display. But one way or another, I have sound now

Now just waiting for info on how to proceed about getting the display fixed
But until then, finally, Downton Abbey :-D
Posted on: 04 September 2015 by GreenAlex
OK, first of, I am not sure why I have been posting under two names. Seems the old one was still stored in a cookie in my browser even though at one point when the forum changed, it didn't work an I re-registered.

Anyhow, I just heard back from my dealer and wanted to thank both Naim and MusicLine for their help and support.
My nVi will be returning to me with a new display soon

Unfortunately I have simultaniously lost my beloved AV2 :'(
After many years of service the digital inputs died on me so I returned it for repairs along with my nVi. However, the required spare parts are no longer available from Naim and so it cannot be repaired anymore

I never thought my AV2 would quit on me :'(