TV Series

Posted by: Mr Underhill on 22 August 2015

What have you been watching? What would you recommend, what would you avoid??

M

Posted on: 23 August 2015 by Mr Underhill

The Flash

The Superhero genre is interesting, frequently relying on the delivery of god-like powers to someone who has a accident; and this is repeated in The Flash .....or is it?

I have to say that by episode three I was ready to give up on the series, but then it just kept getting better. Yes, there is a standard structure - and this week's villain is ...., but there is a larger plot that envelops this, and the whole is very competently delivered.

A well written pop-corn series that is internally consistent and doesn't leave major logical issues .....until the last episode, but hopefully that will be covered in series 2.

The Arrow

The same team that bought us The Flash, but a series I really can't get too enthused by. Having arrows against bullets just leaves me cold, especially when they then continue with the standards bullet tropes ...such as bullet proof cars, wood, walls etc. A darker tone combined with cartoon violence just leaves me somewhat cold. This is one that I have parked and feel no incentive to return to.

M

Posted on: 23 August 2015 by BigH47

We have enjoyed Murder in the First, Person of Interest and Aquarius recently.

Ray Donovan continues to entertain.

On the superhero front, we did watch Flash and The Arrow as they were sort of linked, Gotham and Marvel's Agent Carter.

Posted on: 23 August 2015 by DrMark

I watch the Italian series "Don Matteo" - but mainly to practice my listening comprehension.  (It is subtitled.)

Posted on: 24 August 2015 by Mr Underhill

Hi Mark,

Having just got back from Naples I should have tried the same trick ......fortunately my pigeon Italian got me through!

M

Posted on: 25 August 2015 by Mike1380

Courtesy of Netflix I've done all 8 series of Dexter over the last two months - thoroughly enjoyed.

Me & Mrs 1380 are halfway through watching all 8 seasons of House on DVD, and I think it's probably my favourite TV show of all time.

Big fan of the Marvel Comics Universe and the interlacing of the Iron Man/Hulk/Captain America/Thor/Avengers/Agents of Shield

I did check out DareDevil on Netflix and really enjoyed it.

I've also been know to spend a rainy morning off indulging in some Yes Minister (& Prime Minister), with a dollop of BlackAdder and a light seasoning of Red Dwarf.

Posted on: 25 August 2015 by Bert Schurink

I am kind of a series fan. The ones which I would recommend:

Game of Thrones (known)

The Shield (challenges your values and moral - you start to love the bad guys)

The Unit (great action series, with psychological aspects)

Spartacus (pure blood and fighting)

Rome...

and many more...

I also watched Merlin, was in the first series and didn't want to step out, good for family...less for a adult only....

Posted on: 26 August 2015 by fatcat

Goodness Geacious Me. Tonight 10pm BBC2.

If it's half as good as the original series, it will definatly be worth watching.

Posted on: 26 August 2015 by Sneaky SNAIC

My wife watched 2,000 NCIS episodes in a row, and I grew to like it.  There are some neat acronyms, words, techniques and military stuff in it.

I love when they hack into computers and stuff, and use basic networking / security language like its really the level of hardcore the NSA uses, etc.

Of course the NCIS has visits by CIA, NSA, DIA, etc...so its fun if you like that crap like I do.

Posted on: 26 August 2015 by karlosTT

I really enjoyed 'Humans' and am looking fwd to S2.  Preferred it to the movie Ex Machina for example, as it had more heart & soul.....

Posted on: 26 August 2015 by marcusman
Originally Posted by Bert Schurink:

I am kind of a series fan. The ones which I would recommend:

Game of Thrones (known)

The Shield (challenges your values and moral - you start to love the bad guys)

The Unit (great action series, with psychological aspects)

Spartacus (pure blood and fighting)

Rome...

and many more...

I also watched Merlin, was in the first series and didn't want to step out, good for family...less for a adult only....

I miss The Unit :-( wish it was renewed.  

Posted on: 26 August 2015 by TOBYJUG

Have been enjoying "The Strain " repeats of first series leading up to new second series..

Zombie/ Vampire apocalypse from Guillermo del toro has all the thrills and spills of big blockbusters, whilst having a something' that keeps me interested......probably be disappointed though in the end.

Posted on: 27 August 2015 by BigH47
Originally Posted by fatcat:

Goodness Gracious Me. Tonight 10pm BBC2.

If it's half as good as the original series, it will definatly be worth watching.

We enjoyed it, some really silly humour. Loved the various Ghandi movies and Brown Adder, and of course the Red fort!

Posted on: 28 August 2015 by Sniper

Master of Sex - class

Ray Donovon - Always delivers

The Strain - complete nonsense but strangely watchable

Sense8 - intriguing

Mr.Robot - interesting

Posted on: 28 August 2015 by Kevin-W

This. On Blu-ray or true HD is is beautiful. Requires commitment though, as the pace is often glacial, and there are seven seasons in all. But it's worth it.

Posted on: 28 August 2015 by Kevin-W

People Just Do Nothing, which has just finished its second series on BBC3. A mockumentary about a terrible pirate radio station in Brentford, West London, it's Spinal Tap-esque in its hilarity, attention to detail, accuracy and the superlative quality of the writing and acting. It is painfully funny and the characters, whose ignorance and delusion know no bounds, are for the most part sympathetic and likeable. Still on iPlayer for those interested.

The best UK comedy since The Thick of It IMO, and even better than the wonderful Detectorists.

Posted on: 29 August 2015 by joerand
Originally Posted by Sneaky SNAIC:

My wife watched 2,000 NCIS episodes in a row, and I grew to like it.  There are some neat acronyms, words, techniques and military stuff in it.

... so its fun if you like that crap like I do.

Not picking on you in particular SS, but my god! Throw an acronymed tile on a well-funded, major network production with popular, attractive actors, sprinkle in some sexual tension and put it in a prime-time slot and the throngs will suck it up. My wife watches that stuff night after night, falls asleep on the couch, replays it the next night and falls asleep again. I don't get it. Maybe if you're into TV series PRaT this works. Each episode is the same basic derivative, only with a different villain. Time much better spent listening to some music that posses some creativity and artistry AFAIC.

Give me something akin to 'Breaking Bad' with a dark side, unpredictability as to where it's heading, need to absorb the details to stay on top, and an emphasis on acting, character development, and cinematography.

Posted on: 29 August 2015 by Bananahead

Banshee. An ex-con falls into being a small town sheriff. 18 certificate.