HDTV Antenna

Posted by: Sneaky SNAIC on 05 September 2015

I snagged an Antennas Direct Clearstream 2V and I'm about to crawl up into the attic and try it.

If its good, I want to get a preamp and send another coaxial to a 2nd room for the MIL.

Not the cheapest, or biggest, but compared to what I'm using it should be pretty good.  It's VHF + UHF.

P.S. The other day I was playing with the HD antenna ($19.99 from the local dept store), listening to vinyl and I released how history repeats itself...aluminum foil on the rabbit ears anyone?

P.S.S. Next is FM.

Posted on: 06 September 2015 by Sneaky SNAIC

Really good for $99...put it on roof today and ran a 50ft coax down the wall drilled a hole and pushed it through.  Great reception, and the sound is killer through the Naim system.

I saved more than $99 in one month getting rid of cable...and the picture/sound is way better.

In comes the Oppo with Netflix, youtube, Blu-ray, DVD, CD.  Best I can do, I do miss all the football, but oh well...I could go to a pub or something.  I'll be on the sideline with two cameras several weekends this year so I don't need to watch it on TV.

Posted on: 07 September 2015 by Adam Meredith

Adding to your own posts may be an indication that you are posting more often than anyone can be bothered to read.

Posted on: 07 September 2015 by Adam Meredith

I agree.

Posted on: 07 September 2015 by Mike-B

Hi Sneaky SNAIC, I guess you didn't get any responses to your posts because that antenna is only available & suitable for USA. The spec's are not ideal for Europe & (I believe) most of the rest including Canada, plus its not clear if the antenna polarization(s) are H or V

The ClearStream 2V shows ..............

VHF 174 - 216 MHz (Channels 7-13)

Globally (outside USA)  this is part of Band-III & used for DAB.

Band-III covers 174 - 230MHz  but many countries don't use all the band for DAB - in UK for example DAB broadcasts (at the moment) are 210 – 230MHz.

The added problem is all DAB is vertically polarised & a horizontal antenna doesn't do much.

Your channel numbers are completely different

UHF 470 - 806 MHz (Channels 14-69)

Many countries use VHF bands with TV, some together with this UHF band,  UK as it happens uses only this UHF band for TV between 474 – 786MHz.

(again) the channel numbers are different.

Anyhow,  whatever, all this is technobabble

------  enjoy your new gateway to the airwaves

Posted on: 07 September 2015 by Sneaky SNAIC

Yeah I was just posting in case someone else was looking for one.  It's decent.

Posted on: 07 September 2015 by Sneaky SNAIC

You can't edit posts after 15 minutes, so if you want to post updates to the original thread you can't...so reply is required.

Posted on: 07 September 2015 by joerand

Posted on: 08 September 2015 by Mike-B
Originally Posted by Sneaky SNAIC:

You can't edit posts after 15 minutes, so if you want to post updates to the original thread you can't...so reply is required.

If your post was not the first in the thread (which it was) , you can copy & delete the post you want to add/edit, then Post Reply,  paste the copied post & add/edit.

Posted on: 08 September 2015 by BigH47

Yes Mike I found that out too, although your reply might not get back in the correct sequence.

Good tip though.   Always remembering to copy before cutting though.

Posted on: 15 September 2015 by Sneaky SNAIC

Simon et al,

I'm ready to try a 4-way distribution amplifier for my antennae...I notice its powered by a 40" coax that's included...can I extend this with a longer coax (for power)? 

If so is there a special type of coax I need?  Never used coax for power before that I can remember...but its slick.

Posted on: 16 September 2015 by Mr Underhill

Hi Sneaky,

I am reading your posts, even if I don't reply!

M

Posted on: 16 September 2015 by Mike-B

Hi Sneaky,  head/dist amp power over coax is very common & a special cable is not required,  however  as with any coax its best to get the best - I always use satellite grade, & in audio cable terms it costs nothing. 

Coax cable designation is different in USA vs the rest of the world so not sure what you guys normally use in typical home satellite TV installs   

Two types are most common in Europe,  CT100 is air spaced insulation,  but I always go for WF100 which has polythene foam insulation.  In my book its better as its able to take a bend better without crushing & it does not have water issues (rare but possible)

The 100 number is the overall diameter & that is 6.5 to 6.8mm which works out a touch over 1/4 inch.

The core is solid (single) 1mm annealed copper, screen is double copper foil & overlaid braid.

In USA that will be 18AWG core - same double foil & braid screen, but be sure its copper , not aluminium.

Posted on: 16 September 2015 by Sneaky SNAIC

We use RG6...there is also RG59 I think which is a Siamese bundle of RG6 and AWG20 I think.  (I could be off on the numbers).  But all the coax looks the same.

I'm assuming I need to put the preamp close to the antennae, but I'm not sure if 10-15' is too far away...I want to make a short run into the attic from the roof...so I can split with my preamp in dry safety.

Posted on: 16 September 2015 by Mike-B

RG-6 is what everyone in US seems to use,  so it can't be that bad.  The problem I found with it when I lived in US was there is a difference between brands, different shielding, core sizes dielectrics & jacket size.  That I did not like with the stuff I bought was it had a mix of ally foil screen overlaid with copper braid - a real bad no-no in my world.

15' is not a problem to carry coax power.