5.1 add on for NAP200/NAC202 system?

Posted by: Daan on 22 September 2015

Hi all,

I occasionally play concert registrations on dvd or blueray disc and am thinking of adding a 5.1 device  to my NAP200/NAC202/NAPSC/HiCAPDR based system. Currently I feed the audio from the BD player through coaxial interlink into my NDX. This works fine for discs that have a stereo audio track available, but for some discs that only offer 5.1 audio, such as the Shine a light Scorcese film about a Stones concert, this leads to poor results. Hence my search for an alternative. I presume that ideally the add-on device would have a HDMI input and DACs of equal quality to the NDX, so the DA conversion takes place all in the same place and front and left can go via analogue pre-out to the NAC and my existing speakers, with the surround speakers being driven by the add-on. However, this presumption may be false. Comments and suggestions of what might sound good in conbination with my Naim system welcome.

Thanks, Daan

Posted on: 22 September 2015 by Dungassin
Originally Posted by Daan:

Hi all,

I occasionally play concert registrations on dvd or blueray disc and am thinking of adding a 5.1 device  to my NAP200/NAC202/NAPSC/HiCAPDR based system. Currently I feed the audio from the BD player through coaxial interlink into my NDX. This works fine for discs that have a stereo audio track available, but for some discs that only offer 5.1 audio, such as the Shine a light Scorcese film about a Stones concert, this leads to poor results. Hence my search for an alternative. I presume that ideally the add-on device would have a HDMI input and DACs of equal quality to the NDX, so the DA conversion takes place all in the same place and front and left can go via analogue pre-out to the NAC and my existing speakers, with the surround speakers being driven by the add-on. However, this presumption may be false. Comments and suggestions of what might sound good in conbination with my Naim system welcome.

Thanks, Daan

Does your bluray player have 5.1 analogue outputs?  If so I would suggest the simplest option with guaranteed quality equivalent to your current pre power is : (although it involves used rather than new) is Naim AV2 preamplifier and Naim NAP 175 3 channel power amp + suitable cable(s) from a company such as fastback.

Then refer to my Stereo/AV integration FAQ which you will find in the FAQ section of these Forums.

If your bluray player doesn't have the requisite analogue out sockets, then if you can stretch to it, then I have heard good reports about the Anthem MRX710 AV receiver (as used by Tonym of these forums)

Posted on: 23 September 2015 by Mr Underhill

Hi Daan,

A trip to your dealer to listen to what they can do may then be interesting.

My initial step, many moons ago, was to add a three channel Yamaha processor to my system ....plus the extra speakers, you don't mention or list what speakers you are currently using.

This gave me a baseline against which to decide how far I wanted to go with this AV thing. In the event I ended up with an all Naim AV system - which was great, with a bent towards music. I replaced the AV2/DVD5 a while ago with an Oppo105D, which was an upgrade.

The AV2 is a great processor, and particularly shines musically .....but, they are now very long in the tooth.

My personal suggestion would be to buy an older second hand Onkyo AV amp with the requisite HDMI connectivity and pre-ins and outs .......and play. This way you can gain some cheap insight into what is possible, and what you feel you need to scratch this itch.

IF you then want to upgrade from there you can retain the Onkyo for a while longer while you upgrade elements of its functionality

A couple of additional thoughts -

Centre Channel: v.important in AV terms, especially matching the tone of the centre to your main speakers. You can try and phantom the centre, and I always suggest doing this as a first step ....but, I have never found it to really work.

and

Bass: AV handles this in interesting ways. If you do not have full range speakers throughout it can set cut-offs. This will probably lead you into the world of sub-woofers.

Shine a Light is a great BR and gets a lot of play by me!!

M

Posted on: 23 September 2015 by Daan

A big thank you to both Dungassin and Mr Underhill. I will explore your suggestions. Reverting to used equipment has my preference, as the AV angle will always remain just a small portion of the time spent in my listening room, so I do not want to spend a lot on this. I have an Oppo103 with the various analogue out channels. Speakers are Harbeth Monitors 30.1.

Cheers, Daan

Hi Daan,

Assuming the 103 processing is on a par with the 105 then ......

You have a great processor.

You could buy a new / second hand multichannel power amp = perhaps even the V175 as suggested by Mr D.

Personally I use 250s for centre and rear, with Chord cables; and have a CB140 in the loft as backup!

If you look on AV Forums they have a 2nd hand section which I use periodically, just buying a replacement AV amp for the 2nd system. You see multichannel power amps coming up ....or you could look for something like an Onkyo as suggested above ....as long as it has the multichannel inputs.

...What are your thoughts wrt speakers?

M

Posted on: 23 September 2015 by Daan

Ah, I did not know that with the Oppo I already have part of the solution in place. Just shows my ignorance in the AV field :-). So am I right in thinking that with another Nap 100 or 200 plus a used Nap 175 3 way I could even go to 7.1? A 250 is a bit too much I fear for my rather small listening room. As to speakers, I would aim for something matching with my 30.1 monitors, so presumably a smaller Harbeth. However, I believe Harbeth does not make a center speaker. I use NAC A5 cable for stereo and am happy with it.

Mine are old 250's and owned for many years. No need to splash, you could buy an older Onkyo AV amp and some old well considered speakers - hopefully your dealer may have some suggestions wrt tonally matching the Harbeths, or the company themselves.

Just had a look at the 103 manual. The analogue outs do support 7.1 or 5.1.

You will need to configure the system to send the main left right signal to your current pre; does it offer unity-gain?

The other channels are then sent to the power amps you decide to use. The power required will depend on the main 200 (i.e. to allow power matching) and this will depend what speakers you are / will be using.

If you follow this path when you play a disc, or stream some media, you will use the 103 as your pre-amp.

.......I've got Shine a Light playing as I type!

M

Hi Daan,

Just been doing some research on the 103 vs the 105. On another forum I found a thread with the following email sent by Oppo:

If you will be using the player as the pre-amplifier, then you will want to use the BDP-105. The BDP-103 has 24-bit DACs and has a low signal to noise floor, so it will likely produce audio truncations if you use the player's built-in volume controls and a hum will always be present as the amplifier will always be amplifying the noise floor.

Worth doing some due diligence!

Anyone here using the 103 as their pre-amp??

M

Posted on: 24 September 2015 by Dungassin

NAC 202 does have a Unity Gain Input (Marked AV in/out in the manual).

I also own an Oppo 103, and am currently using it in conjunction with Naim AV2/NAC 552/NAP 250/200/145 and Naim n-System.  I use Chord Company red leads to connect the Oppo to the AV2 for those discs with 5.1 lossless audio, and coaxial digital for the run of the mill DVDs.

Alas, I run these in a small study (13 x 8.5 feet), so small speakers which perform well are essential for me.   The nSats are easily capable of showing the benefit of moving from 282 to 552, but I can't quite bring myself to get a NAP500 (SWMBO would disown me, I think).

If you go down the route of using an AV2, you will, of course, need the 'reversed' din lead to connect from the AV2 to your 202.  Can't recall the part number of that lead, but the AV2 comes supplied with it (IIRC).

Posted on: 25 September 2015 by Mr Underhill

Hi Dun,

Have you taken the AV2 out of the equation and used the 103 as a pre-amp?

M

Posted on: 25 September 2015 by 337GUS

I use an Oppo 103 into an Onkyo 905 used purely as a power amp, the Onkyo can be had around the £250 mark, it was well regarded for it's power amp section when it came out.   Speakers are LS50 F/C/R with MA SFx rears, REL Sub and an Epson PJ.   Sound setup is the old way - pressure meter and a tape measure.

Don't use the room much for music through the Oppo but it sounded pretty good when I spun a couple of CD's out of curiosity, I have a few different amps and speakers in there and tend to swap things in//out when I fancy a music night or a play around with some kit.    The main rig is in a different house.

The 105 is supposed to be a good step up on the 103 due to the much better DACs.

I'd go with running the front L & R via unity gain on the 202 and get an old receiver like the Onkyo or try and find a V175, I've been looking for one on and off for a while, they do come up now and then but not seen one recently.   Another option is a used 3 or 5 channel amp from the likes of Rotel or NAD. 

Gus

Posted on: 25 September 2015 by Mr Underhill

Thx Gus.

Posted on: 25 September 2015 by Daan

Thank you all for responding, really appreciate it. Seems I have enough options to explore over the next few months. I did some initial internet research and there do not seem to be many used NAPV175s out there currently, but may try the cheaper Onkyo option first anyway. Will report back in due course. 

Posted on: 25 September 2015 by Dungassin
Originally Posted by Mr Underhill:

Hi Dun,

Have you taken the AV2 out of the equation and used the 103 as a pre-amp?

M

Nope.  When/if the AV2 decides to give up the ghost, I will probably try that, but in the meantime life is too short.  I suspect, though, that Iwould end up buying asomething like the Anthem AV Receiver, mainly for the HDMI switching facilities.  

Posted on: 26 September 2015 by Mr Underhill

I suspect, though, that I would end up buying asomething like the Anthem AV Receiver

I look forward to your review!

M

Posted on: 26 September 2015 by Bert Schurink
Originally Posted by Daan:

Hi all,

Thanks, Daan

Just get an AV receiver from Nad and you are forever in business. Or ensure you have a Opo blue ray with a NAP100 to feed the other speakers.

Posted on: 05 November 2015 by Stephanie Gelder

I have an arcam AV amp, they are slightly overpriced but sound nice. 

Posted on: 06 November 2015 by karlosTT

To Daan the OP,

I dunno if you're still looking but I noticed there's currently a 175 going on the well known auction site.  Just as a disclaimer, I'm not the seller !  But as you say, its quite a rare event so thought it worth mentioning.....