System Automation Effects Redux

Posted by: GraemeH on 04 October 2015

https://forums.naimaudio.com/to...sound-quality?page=2

This was sort of left hanging and again, after using system automation since the return of the NDX for streaming duties into a Hugo DAC, I find myself disabling and disconnecting it for sonic gains.

Anyone care to share similar experience or speculate further beyond our previous discussions above?

Thanks

G

Posted on: 04 October 2015 by Huge

I am only using a ND5 XS and Nait XS, but when I have ferrites on the cable I don't notice a change in SQ. 

Without the ferrites there may be a slight degradation of SQ, but it's so small I'm not sure if the effect is real or an 'expectation' effect occurring only in my head!

Posted on: 04 October 2015 by Mike-B

I have tried it all ways since Graeme raised this a while ago.

First I could not detect any change at all with the RC cable connected , then removed & with system automation both on & off.

I tried a battered old cable about 3m long that I had in the bits box, I normally have a good quality 0.5m. No difference.

I have since added a ring ferrite to the 0.5m cable & wrapped it 8 turns thru the ring, no difference, but a handy cable shorten-er. After that I gave up.

I am not doubting Graeme can hear a difference, & I thought we had concluded - with an input from David Dever – that integrated amps such as my SuperNait have a micro-controller to parse the incoming IR signal. Whereas preamp separates don't have this feature.

Posted on: 04 October 2015 by GraemeH

Thanks Mike.

For the record I don't think I was alone in this conjecture with DB & SiS reporting similar once the issue was raised.

G

Posted on: 04 October 2015 by Mike-B

Agreed G,  however DB & SiS have separates & if DavidDever is correct we have a distinct difference in the RC5 application & that will most likely account for the SQ changes reported.  Preamp separates do not have the modulated IR input on a 3.5mm socket as do integrated amps SuperNait (1). The preamp separates have de-modulated RC5 on an RCA socket. 

I am not aware if the SN2 has a modulated or de-modulated RC5 input.

I am completely satisfied that my wife & I cannot detect any difference in SQ with system automation connected or enabled or not.  I believe the modulated RC5 input most likely accounts for that.