How to get sound from my TVs through my unity

Posted by: Kev Peel on 17 October 2015

Do anyone know how to get sound from my tv to unity?
I have connected phono leads from my sky box to my unity but no joy!
Posted on: 17 October 2015 by Kev Peel
Any advice tech boys or girls out there I am useless with this sort of thing!
Posted on: 17 October 2015 by Mike-B

It would be better the use the TV audio output rather than the Sky box,  that way the audio is only what's on the screen.   Depending on your TV & what the outputs are,  I would go for a digital feed & ideally optical to avoid any possibility of ground loop hum.   

Posted on: 17 October 2015 by ragman

doesn't your TV has an digital Out?

Posted on: 17 October 2015 by Penarth Blues
Originally Posted by ragman:

doesn't your TV has an digital Out?

This is the right answer. I use the Digital Optical Out from my TV into a Uniti 2 and it sounds as good as a TV signal could produce to my ears

Posted on: 17 October 2015 by Kev Peel
The issue I have is that I have HDMI from sky box to the Tv in the wall.
So won't be able to run leads from the TV, only from sky box! ??
Posted on: 18 October 2015 by ragman
Originally Posted by Kev Peel:
The issue I have is that I have HDMI from sky box to the Tv in the wall.
So won't be able to run leads from the TV, only from sky box! ??

Output's?

Posted on: 18 October 2015 by Richard Dane

The Sky box should have a pair of RCA phonos for analogue audio output and coaxial and optical outputs for digital output.  You may well need to switch these on in the setup menu of the SKY box (I don't know for sure as I'm not a SKY user) and, in the case of the digital outputs, you may need to set the output to 2 channel PCM rather than multichannel bitstream.  This is because the DAC in the Uniti is a 2 channel PCM DAC.

Posted on: 18 October 2015 by Kev Peel
I will try that for sure when I get home cheers
Posted on: 18 October 2015 by David Hendon

If it's a Sky HD box, you don't need to switch the analogue audio feed on because it is on all the time.  But you will almost certainly find that the picture is delayed compared to the sound and there is nothing you can do about that using the analogue outputs from the Sky box.

If you take a digital feed from the TV, then the sound and video will probably be in sync, but I understand why that isn't convenient for your installation.

There is another option, which is to take a digital feed from the Sky box.  You may find this is out of sync with the video too, because of video processing time delays in your TV.  Sky make provision for you to adjust the time delay on the digital sound output. This is accessible through the Services - Setup - Audio on your Sky box.

finally I vaguely remember that you need to enable the input in the Uniti, but I could be wrong and I haven't checked this.  Since your straight analogue connection didn't work and it won't be an issue at the Sky box end, I sugliest you check that in the Uniti manual first.

best

David

Posted on: 18 October 2015 by David Hendon

The stuff about input socket set up is on p10 of the Uniti 2 reference manual on Naim's website.

best

David

Posted on: 18 October 2015 by Kev Peel
No joy.
Posted on: 19 October 2015 by Richard Dane

Kev, how are you connecting (from which sockets to which sockets and with what cable) between the SKY box and the Uniti?

Posted on: 19 October 2015 by Kev Peel
Hi,
I am connecting two red & white from sky box "av output  L&R"
To Naim "analog 1 red & white"
Sorry if I don't get back straight away its bit crazy at work!
Posted on: 19 October 2015 by Richard Dane

OK, assuming you also get nothing through Uniti inputs AN 2 and AN 3 (do make sure they are enabled in the Uniti setup menu) then I can only think that either the cable is faulty or the SKY box is faulty.  Have you tried connection another source (CD player, iPod etc.) to check that the Uniti inputs are OK?

None of the other analogs work on the name either.
I have put the unity into analog 1 & still nothing.
On my Unity i can only put it into Analog 1!
They are new red & white phono leads so no problem there!
Sky box is 2 year old.

Do I need another lead as well as the phono leads
Posted on: 19 October 2015 by David Hendon

Kev

i think you still need to make sure that the Analog 1 input on your Uniti is enabled.  I don't mean selected on the front panel, obviously that too, but the circuitry inside also has to be told to connect to the socket on the outside.

Your Uniti 1 may be slightly different to the following, but this will give you the idea what you have to do.

You start by pressing the setup (wrench/spanner) button on the Uniti remote, scroll down to Inputs, select that with the OK button, then scroll down to Analogue 1, press ok again, then the top option should be "Enabled" and it should say "Yes". If it doesn't say yes then you need to press ok again and change no to yes. Then you can back out of setup by pressing the exit button on the remote until you are back at your normal display.

If the input did say no to enabled then you will probably find it works now. If the input already said yes to enabled, then we need to think some more.

best

David

Posted on: 19 October 2015 by David Hendon

And no you don't need another lead as well as the red and white photos lead.

Many thanks David. I will try that as soon as I get home!!
Posted on: 20 October 2015 by Kev Peel
Thanks for your help guys!!
I have SOUND
Posted on: 20 October 2015 by David Hendon

Good! Always great to know a problem is solved.

Best

David

Posted on: 21 October 2015 by Richard Dane

Good news. Pleased that the problem is solved.

Posted on: 21 October 2015 by Kev Peel
Cheers Dane.