HDTV with my NAC52?

Posted by: Gavin L on 24 October 2015

Can anyone offer advice on using my NAIM setup as the audio for a new HDTV?

I have an old NAC52/NAP250 that I have been using for hifi in the living room.  I am just about to buy a 4K hdtv and was rather hoping that I could hook the NAIM equipment up to provide the audio.  What is the best way to do this as I notice most no longer support a phono out?  Many have HDMI, but I am suspecting that most converters will undermine the benefit of using the NAIM in the first place.

I see a sony that has a Sony Bravia X9 that has an audio jack.  This would work to some degree, but am I likely to be disappointed compared to purchasing the sound bar etc.

Thank you for you help!

Posted on: 24 October 2015 by BigH47

Headphone socket?

Posted on: 25 October 2015 by Gavin L

Yes.

Posted on: 25 October 2015 by BigH47

In my system I have the optical output from my TV into one input of my DAC, then audio out of that to NAC 52. That way anything that I view on the TV (BRP, DVDDR, SKY+) can be heard through the main system.

I've used this system with DACMagic and 2Qute and it gives good results.

Obviously the head phone socket on TV could give you direct analogue output from TV but not sure what sort of quality that would give.

Posted on: 25 October 2015 by Gavin L
Thank you, it sounds like I do need a DAC. How much do I need to pay to get a reasonable result?

I see you have a TeraDac (x2?), is this recommended?  Other good suggestions welcome!
Posted on: 25 October 2015 by BigH47

I got the Cambridge DAC Magic for £100 a very capable unit for the price.

Posted on: 26 October 2015 by Richard Dane

On my Sony Bravia KDL50W829 set I discovered that there is an analogue audio out - it's the 3.5mm headphone socket and you then toggle within the setup menu whether you want it a fixed or variable output.  There's also a digital out as well, however, you need to be careful here to ensure that any latency is minimised otherwise you can get annoying lip-sync issues.

Posted on: 26 October 2015 by Karl

I use the headphone out put on my Samsung into my 282 and then use the tv remote to control the volume,to my ears it sounds fine and far better than a sound bar.

Karl

Posted on: 26 October 2015 by Gavin L

The last two posts raise a good point.  I would ideally like the convenience of using the TV volume control and not something on the amp.  (In fact this would be critical for the rest of the family).  Is this at all accommodated by any of the digital outs?

If not - then I think I need a volume controlled audio out (headphone jack) - for regular use.  Then I could switch to a better quality output to a separate DAC on occasions when the sound is important.

My thinking is that I should also get something that would work with my Apple AirPort Express and could be also used occasionally for the HDTV.  Someone like the Cambridge DAC Magic (other suggestions welcome).

Gavin