Naim Sound Bar

Posted by: staffy on 18 November 2015

Do Naim have a sound bar for home cinema,if not anything on the horizon.

Posted on: 18 November 2015 by dayjay

Sadly not, if they did I would buy one straight away.  I have even considered getting a Muso to do it but seems like a waste

Posted on: 18 November 2015 by Tony2011

Actually, not quite true. Here is a prototype of Naim's soundbar  and heater combo. It's work in progress  but I think the compromise seems promising. Think of those long winter nights, sipping  a hot toddy and listening to your favourite Engelbert Humperdinck album . 

Posted on: 18 November 2015 by Mr Underhill

Shame this isn't 1st April.

Posted on: 18 November 2015 by joerand
Originally Posted by Tony2011:

Actually, not quite true. Here is a prototype of Naim's soundbar  and heater combo. It's work in progress  but I think the compromise seems promising. 

I heard the project was abandoned when the heat sink required to keep the amp from overheating began to look like a perpetual motion machine.

Posted on: 19 November 2015 by Derek Wright

I have a Naim based soundbar, just read my profile. The speakers are either side of the screen - does not sound too bad either

Posted on: 19 November 2015 by fred40
Originally Posted by dayjay:

Sadly not, if they did I would buy one straight away.  I have even considered getting a Muso to do it but seems like a waste

It is. Bought one recently. Only to discover Muso has no HDMI input. IMHO a great loss.

Posted on: 19 November 2015 by rackkit
Originally Posted by fred40:

It is. Bought one recently. Only to discover Muso has no HDMI input. IMHO a great loss.

You could try a converter that takes the audio from the HDMI and outputs it into optical which i'm guessing the Muso does have? 

Posted on: 19 November 2015 by dayjay

Actually, not quite true. Here is a prototype of Naim's soundbar  and heater combo. It's work in progress  but I think the compromise seems promising. Think of those long winter nights, sipping  a hot toddy and listening to your favourite Engelbert Humperdinck album . 

Brilliant, I assume I can use power lines with it?

Originally Posted by Derek Wright:

I have a Naim based soundbar, just read my profile. The speakers are either side of the screen - does not sound too bad either

The ideal solution Derek, my room, sadly dictates my speakers are firing at right angles to my TV otherwise I'd be doing something similar

Posted on: 19 November 2015 by Tony2011

No, but Naim is  also currently working on a upgrade called the "Super-Shifter"  or SuShi for short

. Please note that, at the moment, this is pure speculation.

No, but Naim is  also currently working on a upgrade called the "Super-Shifter"  or SuShi for short

. Please note that, at the moment, this is pure speculation.

Sounds very fishy to me!

Posted on: 19 November 2015 by staffy

I notice that the  Naim Soundbar/Heater has two flat legs.  Would this not entail some sort of resonance through the system.  I like the idea of heat from the system, but I do now want a warm sound from my music.

Can this new Naim  Audio Unityheat 1 be purchased in a Lidl Suoermarket.

Posted on: 10 January 2016 by Eloise
fred40 posted:

The problem is for a small company like Naim, the cost of the HDMI license along with all the associated essential licenses (HDCP, Dolby, DTS, etc) would be prohibitive.  As I recall a few years back; the cost for HDMI was quoted as being in the order of $10,000 a year and HDCP another $15,000. In addition there are per unit costs which are greatly biased to larger manufacturers (5x the cost gets 100x the per unit licenses).

This is one reason very few DACs have HDMI input and that smaller manufacturers are getting out of the AV business.

Posted on: 02 February 2016 by uniti

you can always use optical out from the telly, then all the switching happens tv side and audio for whatever content is on screen is passed. simple. 

the Muso is actually very good as a sound bar