Your local Cinema sound v your AV set up

Posted by: rackkit on 20 November 2015

Been a while since we last went to the cinema, been happy to buy Blu-Rays and watch them at home though my own set up. i admit i was a bit nervous that the cinema's sound system would make my own sound 'broken' and i'd be left wondering why i'd invested so much time & money into it.

Happily, i came out of the cinema after the viewing of the latest Jame Bond film (Spectre) knowing that my own set up doesn't lose out at all and if anything, i probably preferred it (as you would)!

Anyone else have similar experiences? 

Posted on: 20 November 2015 by tonym

Indeed Mr rakkit. Although I enjoy cinema sound when it's done well, I still find it tiresome after a while and much prefer my own system. 

Posted on: 20 November 2015 by Mr Underhill

I think that the picture quality took a massive leap upwards with the move to digital, and the sound quality and steering has improved ...not as good as home.

I love going to the cinema, although the experience is lessoned by people eating popcorn, especially my wife who unfortunately sits next to me, others using their smartphones and others who chose to comment on the movie. During Crimson Peak I had to ask two girls sitting next to me to refrain from providing a running commentary.

.....still love the BIG screen.

M

Posted on: 21 November 2015 by tonym

Have you considered asking your wife to sit in another part of the auditorium Mr Underhill? Or perhaps that might not be a good idea...I agree it can be really irritating when people make a noise around you. The cinema at Workington  we go to when in Cumbria is independently owned and as well as being very comfortable they've got a very strict policy around the noisy crew, who are summarily ejected as soon as they become a nuisance.

Mentioning large screens; for convenience' sake I moved from my projector system to a large Plasma display, and good though the latter is, I'm missing the larger picture and the special quality that only projectors bring to the picture. When the TV's suitably old I'll go back I think.

Posted on: 21 November 2015 by Mr Underhill

Hi Tony,

I am trying to persuade her to put the box on its side and remove the popcorn from the top, rather than diving in with her hand and taking several tries at grabbing a handful.

Sitting in another part of the auditorium? As much as I love cinema I love my wife more ......slightly!

M

Posted on: 21 November 2015 by rackkit

I wish this room was big enough to take a projector as i think i'd would really do the audio side proud. I'm keeping my eye on the next ten OLED 4k tv and will probably just go for the biggest screen i can afford in a few years time when prices drop to 'sensible' levels. I think a screen about 75" would be a nice upgrade to the 50 plasma. Can't fault the picture quality from the current set though. 

Posted on: 21 November 2015 by joerand
Originally Posted by Mr Underhill:

picture quality took a massive leap upwards with the move to digital 

I much prefer analog films to digital. Analog has an unmistakable, genuine look to me. Current CGI seems to be trending more and more towards a virtual look, something akin to gaming images. I just don't buy it and appreciate a real stunt to the engrossed, improbable CGI feats. Granted, CGI done right has its merits for continuity and portraying characters or images that could not otherwise be presented. For many directors, GCI seems the focus of the film rather than a judicious embellishment. Many films I see these days appear to have more budget dedicated to the virtual graphics than the story at hand. Makes no sense to me.

As far as SQ, the theater is much better than my lowly 2.1 soundbar/wireless sub, though the theater sound can be ridiculously loud at times. At least at home I can control the volume. And yeah, no one sitting behind me drinking soda and belching popcorn fumes.

Posted on: 22 November 2015 by Mr Underhill

Hi Joe,

I can understand the points you are making, however, in the UK the only place you got to see new film stock was Leicester Sqr, I always found the blemishes on the second hand stock very distracting ...and, for me, digital was a great step forward.

M

Posted on: 22 November 2015 by rackkit
Originally Posted by Mr Underhill:

Hi Joe,

I can understand the points you are making, however, in the UK the only place you got to see new film stock was Leicester Sqr, I always found the blemishes on the second hand stock very distracting ...and, for me, digital was a great step forward.

M

Same here and it applies as a photographer too!