Anthem MRX 710

Posted by: Dungassin on 01 December 2015

Well, I finally wore SWMBO down, and have arranged an audition of the MRX 710 as potential replacement of my ageing Naim AV2.  I finally bit the bullet and asked her if 'she would mind' (stupid question!), and she said OK.   Alas, can't get to hear it at the Derby Naim Dealer for a couple of weeks (he's very busy in the runup to Christmas, apparently).

Funnily enough, when I was talking to him on the phone, it turned out that I sold him my old Nait1 years ago, and now he's a Naim dealer!   I debated the merits of the Anthem AV preamps, but probably would cost more than SWMBO would happily tolerate, and wouldn't help to reduce the box count.

When/if I buy it, and he comes to install it, I am initially going to remove the NAP 145 and 200 from the system, and run the centre/rear channels from the new toy, to see if I still need them.   As a result, I will be asking him to make me up a pair of 3.5m lengths of NACA5 and supply a couple of banana plug female/female (or should that be male/male?) adapters so that I can temporarily extend the rear speaker cables.  The Anthem will be about 6 ft away from where  the 200 is placed, so a little extra length is required. The centre speaker lead will not need extending. This is as I don't see how I could plug the Naim plugs into the back of the Anthem.

I don't want to go to the trouble (at least initially) of feeding longer NACA5 through the conduits (yes, the cables are hidden) until I know whether I will be keeping/losing the 145 and 200.  My son-in-law has  already said he will take them off my hands if don't want to keep them.  I should add that he's recently bought a Naim Axent, but has no intention of using it until his youngest is rather older (she'll be 2 on December 5th).  She's already pushed in the dome on his B&W centre speaker several times, and I don't think it will be cured by the usual 'vacuum cleaner' trick.

As I would no longer need to use the analogue outputs of the Oppo 103, I assume that I can use one of the Chord company Phono/DIN leads currently in use for that, and transfer it to use as the cable running from the front channel pre-outs of the Anthem to the AV input on my 552?   My Chord leads are both of the 'TAPE' variety, so I assume the little arrows on the RCA end tell me the directionality of the particular RCA pair?

The Derby dealer suggested that I seriously consider keeping the 145 and 200 and just use the Anthem as a preamp.  Still, it would be nice to reduce the box count.

Posted on: 01 December 2015 by spurrier sucks
If using as a preamp why not get the 310? I think it has preouts. I know the 300 does. I use a 500 myself. Seen the x20 models have been announced but not if they are available yet. However it may help you get a better deal knowing a new model is coming out.
Posted on: 01 December 2015 by Brubacca

The 310 does have pre-outs and it is only a 5.1 channel receiver. I have been considering this as an upgrade to my TV system. How do thenew Anthem receivers sound?

Posted on: 01 December 2015 by rackkit
Originally Posted by Dungassin:

The Derby dealer suggested that I seriously consider keeping the 145 and 200 and just use the Anthem as a preamp.  Still, it would be nice to reduce the box count.

Will be interesting to hear how the Anthem's amps compare to 145 & 200 especially if you're dealer thinks it's a good idea to keep them. Funnily enough, i run my Centre and rears from my Av2 using the same same amps as you. A 300 does the main L/R. I think it sounds epic especially after a recent visit to the cinema left me feeling i get a better sound at home.

I'm hanging on to my AV2 for as long as possible!

Posted on: 02 December 2015 by tonym

Hi Dungassin,

I went down a very similar path; originally AV2 with two modified NAP 150s driving the four surrounds, a 145 for the Axess centre, & then used the unity gain AV input on the 552 for L & R.

With the help of my dealer, I went for an Anthem 700, the 710's predecessor. I use the latter's preamp outs for the L & R speakers and the Anthem's internal amps to drive the four surrounds (for a 7.1 system). The amps in the Anthem, whilst maybe not up to the Naim ones, are nevertheless extremely good & I don't miss the latter. The big plus with the Anthem, apart from losing lots of boxes, is the ARC room correction, which with the 710 is even better than the 700's version. I've since moved to a MiniDSP unit for room correction, which is better again, and anyone who would like to come and listen you'd be very welcome!

The Anthem unit does lots of clever things, radio and stuff, that I don't use, and it's also very nicely made, and easy to program (although the instructions leave something to be desired).

Posted on: 02 December 2015 by Felty99

I'd also be keen to know how your auditioning pans out. I use a NAP 175 for centre and surround channels (Nap250 for front L/R)  with an Audiolab AV processor and have thought about replacing this with a 145 to even out the front 3 channels and new AV receiver such as the Anthem or maybe the new Arcam AVRs with onboard Dirac eq (similar to TonyM's MiniDSP box, I think). So the Anthem/Arcam would drive the surrounds. 

Posted on: 02 December 2015 by Dungassin
Originally Posted by tonym:

Hi Dungassin,

I went down a very similar path; originally AV2 with two modified NAP 150s driving the four surrounds, a 145 for the Axess centre, & then used the unity gain AV input on the 552 for L & R.

With the help of my dealer, I went for an Anthem 700, the 710's predecessor. I use the latter's preamp outs for the L & R speakers and the Anthem's internal amps to drive the four surrounds (for a 7.1 system). The amps in the Anthem, whilst maybe not up to the Naim ones, are nevertheless extremely good & I don't miss the latter. The big plus with the Anthem, apart from losing lots of boxes, is the ARC room correction, which with the 710 is even better than the 700's version. I've since moved to a MiniDSP unit for room correction, which is better again, and anyone who would like to come and listen you'd be very welcome!

The Anthem unit does lots of clever things, radio and stuff, that I don't use, and it's also very nicely made, and easy to program (although the instructions leave something to be desired).

I'm a little unclear, Tony.  Are you still using the 145 for your Axess?   Still waiting for the dealer to ring me back to book an appointment.  If I don't hear from him today, I'll chase him tomorrow.

Originally Posted by spurrier sucks:
If using as a preamp why not get the 310? I think it has preouts. I know the 300 does. I use a 500 myself. Seen the x20 models have been announced but not if they are available yet. However it may help you get a better deal knowing a new model is coming out.

That's an interesting thought, but I still have this niggling desire to reduce the box count in my tiny study.  After all, I've got to fit in my guitar amp (I remove it when listening to music), and my games machines, PVR etc etc.

Must check on when the 20 series are coming out (didn't know they were imminent)

Originally Posted by Felty99:

I'd also be keen to know how your auditioning pans out. I use a NAP 175 for centre and surround channels (Nap250 for front L/R)  with an Audiolab AV processor and have thought about replacing this with a 145 to even out the front 3 channels and new AV receiver such as the Anthem or maybe the new Arcam AVRs with onboard Dirac eq (similar to TonyM's MiniDSP box, I think). So the Anthem/Arcam would drive the surrounds. 

I'm not planning on doing that comparison at the dealer, especially as it might induce me to get an Anthem AV processor (not receiver) at considerably more expense.  However, I'll probably try it at home when/if I get the Anthem.

Originally Posted by rackkit:

That was what I originally thought, but I'm looking at the collection of optical switcher box, HDMI switcher box and manual RCA phono switch box (it was designed for stereo, but I just use one channel to switch between 2 coax digital feeds), and the rats' nest of cables.  This and the added facts that : 

1. My grandkids are known to pull on any exposed lead (well, the toddler does), leading to loss of sound/video etc and then I finish up partially dismantling the system to trace the fault.

This especially applies to the Sony 710 DVD/Hard Disc recorder, which has a broken optical port - it stll works, but the cable keeps falling out, and I have taken to moulding blutak around it to hopefully keep it in position.

2. The AV2 has to be powered off/on at least once a week when it seems stop producing any sound from digital sources.

These made me decide the time has come to make the change.

Posted on: 02 December 2015 by tonym
Originally Posted by tonym:

Hi Dungassin,

I'm a little unclear, Tony.  Are you still using the 145 for your Axess?   Still waiting for the dealer to ring me back to book an appointment.  If I don't hear from him today, I'll chase him tomorrow.

Whoops, sorry Dungassin. Yes, I'm using the Anthem for the centre channel amplification too.

Thanks, I thought you said that in my earlier thread re. replacing my Oppo 83 (the 103 is working very well, BTW)

I'm not particularly interested in listening to 5.1 music, and tend to regard the centre and rear/surround channels as being more for effects, hence the Anthem will probably be adequate for my purposes.  After all, how 'hifi' does dialogue have to be?  I find that what I want from the centre speaker is good, easily intelligible, voice.   Pity that so many actors mumble their lines these days.  I do find that I sometimes have to put on the subtitles to decipher what they are saying.  Incidentally, my former ENT colleague tells me that my hearing is excellent, especially for my age.

The dealer rang me this afternoon, but I still don't have a definite date.  He wanted to come to me (I hadn't asked him to!) on Monday 18th December for a home demo, but, alas, I had to say no, as Mondays are when we babysit the toddler while the older siblings go to gymnastics (girl) and swimming (boy).

He did suggest trying the comparison with my current poweramps (145, 200) against the Anthem, but I've thought about this, and  note that 200 has what seems to be a 4pin DIN socket for the input from the preamp, but the 145 has the 3 pin jobby.  Don't really want to pay him to make up a special lead just for a demo!

Posted on: 02 December 2015 by rackkit
Dungassin posted:
Originally Posted by rackkit:

That was what I originally thought, but I'm looking at the collection of optical switcher box, HDMI switcher box and manual RCA phono switch box (it was designed for stereo, but I just use one channel to switch between 2 coax digital feeds), and the rats' nest of cables.  This and the added facts that : 

1. My grandkids are known to pull on any exposed lead (well, the toddler does), leading to loss of sound/video etc and then I finish up partially dismantling the system to trace the fault.

This especially applies to the Sony 710 DVD/Hard Disc recorder, which has a broken optical port - it stll works, but the cable keeps falling out, and I have taken to moulding blutak around it to hopefully keep it in position.

2. The AV2 has to be powered off/on at least once a week when it seems stop producing any sound from digital sources.

These made me decide the time has come to make the change.

Ah, i see. I'd be doing the same thing if my AV2 was behaving like that. Yeah, time to move on in your case. 

Meanwhile, i'm thinking of ugrading the rears from the current NAP 200 to a NAP250.2 

With all the talk of the 250 DR, i'm sure it'll have a big effect on the used prices of the 250.2! 

Posted on: 03 December 2015 by tonym

Gentlemen, please do not underestimate the profound effect digital room correction can have on your multi-speaker A/V system; I now really wouldn't be without it. This is a significant plus for Anthem processors/receivers (other brands may be available with similar) and is a much beter bet than improving ampification.

Posted on: 03 December 2015 by rackkit

Thanks for the heads up on amp situation. I just remember how much of a difference the 200 made on the rears compared to the 150 before it. I wasn't expecting such a leap forward so obviously i was thinking the 250.2 would be another step again. 

When or if my AV2 does go, then the likes of Anthem will definitely be on the cards as a processor as i'd still like to keep my amps for driving the speakers. 

Posted on: 04 December 2015 by Dungassin

Patiently waiting until 8th January, which is the earliest date the dealer can come to do the home demo (sigh)

Posted on: 08 December 2015 by Dungassin

TonyM, what lead are you using to connect your Anthem to your 552?  I currently have two Chord Crimson 4RCA>DIN leads which I use to connect my Oppo to the Naim AV2 analogue inputs (for bluray audio tracks).  I am wondering whether to use one of these 2 connect the 710 to my 552, (assuming I buy it), or perhaps replace it with a Chord Cobra VEE3 2RCA>DIN lead.

Posted on: 08 December 2015 by tonym

Hi Dungassin, my A/V units dwell on the other side of the room to the stereo ones. Mine's a DIY, approx. 6 metre-long cable, phono to DIN. IMO, you don't require anything too fancy for this application, just good quality cabling.

Posted on: 09 December 2015 by Dungassin

Thanks.  So I think I'll stick to using one of the Chord Crimson cables (well, of course I will only use the 2 RCA phonos on one of the 4 RCA phono leads, of course!).  They are 3m versions, and it will save the expense of a new cable, which will make SWMBO a little happier.   Why do I own 2 of these leads and not a 4 RCA and a 2 RCA version?  Well, it was the only way I could be certain that I wouldn't order a 2 RCA lead that was incorrectly wired for use with the multi inputs using 5.1 into the AV2.  Even then, there was a little bit of trial and error until I got the channels sorted out properly!

I had a minor 'panic' yesterday, when I downloaded the MRX 710 manual, and realised that it said something about the US model accepting Banana plugs for speaker output, thus implying that the UK version didn't.  Contacted the dealer who reassured me that the Anthem DID accept 4mm plugs (phew ... I have no great faith in screwed terminal connections)