How to Integrate NAC202 and NAP200 into my HT system? Help with wiring!

Posted by: After_Shock on 04 December 2015

Good morning, I recently took delivery of a NAC202 and NAP200 to go with some new front channel speakers.

The idea being to run the new units for Audio listening directly from my CD player (already set up) and to connect it to my HT amplifier for movie uses using the AV pass through.

As its a public holiday where I live I cant contact the dealer today but having read the instruction booklet it appears the only way to use the AV pass through is from connecting to the AV input on the back of the NAC 202, which funnily enough my Marantz SR6009 doesn't have the required connection on the back to hook up to the NAC.

Is the AV in on the back of the NAC the only way to use this pass through function? If so it looks as if the Naim may have to go back as it wont do what I need.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Posted on: 04 December 2015 by Dungassin

Look in the FAQ section of these forums and you will find my FAQ on integrating Stereo and AV.  Here's the link :

https://forums.naimaudio.com/to...o-and-av-integration

Basically you take the front channel preamp outs (I assume your AV amp has them?), and plug them (using a suitable lead, usually RCA>Phono), into an analogue input on you preamp.  Look in the 202 manual to see which one this is.  Then you need to adjust various channel levels, preferably using a sound level meter.  There are multiple SPL meter apps available for iPhone, and I assume also for Android phones.

Posted on: 04 December 2015 by After_Shock

Thanks for the reply and the link.

The AV amp has a full suite of preamp outs but they are located on the back of the AV receiver not the front.

I have read the manual and honestly cannot see a dedicated analogue input, the 202 has two inputs using phono cables either CD or AUX 2?

From your response I need to connect a 2 phono to 2 phone from the AV receiver to the analogue input on the pre amp?

The link to the FAQ seems to suggest I would need to use a 2 phono to DIN connection?

Thanks

Just had a look at my copy of the Naim amplifier manual.  Input 4 (DIN) is called AV.  Manual does not say whether it is a Unity Gain input, you would have to ask Naim info for that information (they usually reply within 24 hours), and also how you configure that input to be Unity Gain.  If it isn't a Unity Gain input, then just pick an easily recalled setting on the 202 volume control, and always set the 202 to that level when using with your HT (I assume HT is Home Theatre?) unit.

Yes, you need a 2 phono to 4 pin lead to connect from your AV amp to the 202.

Posted on: 04 December 2015 by Richard Dane

The av input on the NAC202 is the one you want - a DIN5.  Then  set it for unity gain.  You want to take signal from the Front Pre Out on your SR6009 to the AV input on the Naim - you will need an appropriate RCA-DIN5 interconnect to do this.  Make sure your AV amp is configured correctly for this in its setup menu.

Sorry, my mistake, you're quite right - I didn't look at the picture in the manual that closely.   

Could have been embarrassing, especially in view of my likely near future change of AV2 to Anthem MRX 710.

It that NAC202 AV input already set to Unity Gain?  Not really clear from the manual if this is the case

Posted on: 05 December 2015 by After_Shock

Heading to collect a Din5 to phono connection from the dealer this evening. Will have to work out the unity gain setting as cant remember reading that.

Now my Marantz doesn't have a pre out on the front panel which everyone mentions its only for inputs, it does have a multi channel pre out on the reverse of the unit though so im assuming I connect to the Front L/R on that pre out section then into the AV input on the Naim?

Posted on: 05 December 2015 by After_Shock

Success, got the cable, NAC in unity gain setting, all working great.

Now to get it all wired in and tidy.

Posted on: 05 December 2015 by Richard Dane

Good news.