What BluRay Have You Just Watched?

Posted by: Mr Underhill on 08 January 2016

My habit has been to buy BluRay for blockbusters and otherwise DVD; so over Christmas I bought a number of films including MI Rogue Nation and Fury. There is no doubt the picture quality is a step up, but not one I find essential. However, last week I was watching 'The Phantom of the Opera - Stage', I was distinctly unimpressed by the DVD SQ, so much so I switched to the movie DVD, this was better but had an issue. I therefore bought the Stage version on BluRay, which I will report on tomorrow. At the same time I bought:

Jeff Lynne's ELO: Live in Hyde Park

The soundtrack is 24/48 and is excellent, as is the musicianship. The PQ is HiDef. The only shame is the age and static nature of many of the performers. When I think back to watching ELO on Top of the Pops with the zany string players it is a shame to see such sober string players.

A BR that I will be listening to again ....but probably not watching!

M

Posted on: 08 January 2016 by intothevoid

Interesting; I found watching a blu ray on a 48" tv little different to DVD, but mightily different to my 120" cinema screen.

i only buy blu Ray now, never DVD, as it's just unwatchable at that scale.

latest acquisitions are guardians of the galaxy, last vegas, kingsman. All great fun

Posted on: 09 January 2016 by Mr Underhill

Hi ITV,

I still use a TV, and although I do anticipate getting a larger 60" screen at some point I won't be going to a projector ....as much as I enjoy that cinematic feel; it is impractical in my house.

The thing that is attracting me to BluRay, outside of blockbusters, is sound quality. I bought the BluRay of the Stage Version of Into The Woods. This ripped to some ridiculous size, but the PQ was nothing to write home about. The soundtrack is LPCM. If you like this musical, which I do, then this is a FAR better version than the movie; although that does have some stand out moments, and the new song for Meryl Streep.

M

Posted on: 09 January 2016 by Innocent Bystander

Having changed from a 50" Plasma to a projector, with a screen that is 3.6m wide (approx 160" diagonal, depending on film format) I now have movies that are better than being in a cinema, the screen size in terms of width from viewing position is like a proper large screen cinema, not the small ones of typical provincial multi-screen cinemas. And even with a low cost very middling quality surround sound system the experience is so much better than going to the cinema, except perhaps to a full size IMAX. (

But I do have a 32" in another room that does for standard TV purposes.

Posted on: 09 January 2016 by MDS
Mr Underhill posted:

The thing that is attracting me to BluRay, outside of blockbusters, is sound quality. 

M

Must agree with that, M.  I think the improved sound quality with BluRay discs is very underrated. Most folk think it is simply higher picture resolution. Maybe one needs a decent HT set-up to appreciate the difference on sound and many think that's just achieved by adding a sound-bar!

Mike

Posted on: 09 January 2016 by intothevoid
Mr Underhill posted:

Hi ITV,

I still use a TV, and although I do anticipate getting a larger 60" screen at some point I won't be going to a projector ....as much as I enjoy that cinematic feel; it is impractical in my house.

The thing that is attracting me to BluRay, outside of blockbusters, is sound quality. I bought the BluRay of the Stage Version of Into The Woods. This ripped to some ridiculous size, but the PQ was nothing to write home about. The soundtrack is LPCM. If you like this musical, which I do, then this is a FAR better version than the movie; although that does have some stand out moments, and the new song for Meryl Streep.

M

If you like Meryl Streep singing you want to get a copy of the Mama Mia! movie. The blu ray picture quality is stunning and, embarrassingly,  I quite enjoy the sing along too 

To my mind, blu ray is only worthwhile watching at the large scale. It beats me why they now produce UHD tv's starting at 40".

I've not tried any audio blu ray, but they're supposed to be worthwhile as you've suggested.

Posted on: 09 January 2016 by Innocent Bystander

Yes - and I creased up when James Bond stareted singing!

Posted on: 12 January 2016 by Mr Underhill

I've decided to replace all the musicals I have with the BluRay if they include a Master Audio or LPCM soundtrack. I watched the Phantom Stage BR over the last two evenings, they include a DTS-MA, but the stereo soundtrack is DD!!!!??

M

Posted on: 12 January 2016 by tonym

Probably the best-sounding music BluRay we have (note, we...) is Celine Dionne live at Las Vegas. It's truly stunning in both sound and picture quality.

Posted on: 13 January 2016 by Mr Underhill

(note, we...) 

Posted on: 13 January 2016 by intothevoid

It's ok Tony, you're safe here, we understand 

Posted on: 13 January 2016 by BigH47

Last Sealion dion song I heard made my ears bleed. Not ever repeated the experience.