BluRay Sound Quality & Recommendations

Posted by: Mr Underhill on 10 January 2016

Phantom of the Opera

I bought both the movie (DTS 5.1) and the stage (DD 5.1) version on DVD, the later provides half the data of the former. My preference is the stage version as the singing voices and music are clearly better, although the movie has its advantages in the manner of telling the story. However, the soprano voices in the stage DVD are so poor that I just HAD to turn it off.

On checking I found that the stage version BluRay includes a DTS-HA Master Audio soundtrack in 5.1, my understanding is that this is lossless audio. On watching this disc and streaming the DVD version I found that the sound levels are the same, but where I felt compelled to turn the DVD rip down, to escape the audio flaws, the BluRay has a clean and transparent soundtrack; this is definitely my primary recommendation if the music is your priority.

Posted on: 15 January 2016 by rackkit

Blu-ray audio really is a clear step up from DVD. DVD sounds about MP3 level compared to me. 

Posted on: 18 January 2016 by Mr Underhill

The Rocky Horror Picture Show (35th Anniversary)

A marmite film if ever there was one, but I enjoy it thoroughly. The DVD soundtrack and PQ is OK. The BluRay includes:

DTS-HA Master Audio 7.1 soundtrack; and

DD 2-channel Mono.

Both the SQ & PQ are a big step up.

A standard gripe - trying to get accurate information about WHAT is on any disc. The site I bought it from had no detailed soundtrack data. One review stated that it included a PCM stereo track, which is does NOT. There is a 40th Anniversary BR that, perhaps, does.

M

Posted on: 18 January 2016 by Mr Underhill

The Jungle Book

One of my favourite Disney soundtracks. This does include a DTS-HA Master Audio soundtrack.

My view is that any gains in SQ and PQ are marginal.

M

Posted on: 20 January 2016 by Mr Underhill

Into The Woods

I had never heard the Sondheim musical until a couple of years ago, and I love it; I can appreciate why a parody called 'Into the Words' was produced.

I bought the BlueRay of a US Stage production. This I still think is the best of the productions that I have, however the soundtrack is a DTS Stereo 48khz. The PQ is 1080p, but it is just OK. As a production it is first rate. The children are the correct age to sing the songs, that is they are pre-pubescent, not too young as in the film. There is more humour here, I think the movie made a mistake in removing the narrator.

Both the DVD and the BlueRay have excellent SQ and PQ. The BlueRay is undoubtedly a step up. In terms of the sound the difference is in the detail. With the DVD the lower registers are delivered as an amorphous whole, with the BlueRay you can define and hear the instruments far more clearly and hear the bowing, for instance, the sort of detail that audiophiles crave - as long as they don't overtake the music.

Movie BlueRay recommended as the best SQ & PQ.

Stage BlueRay recommended as the best version of the musical.

M

Posted on: 20 January 2016 by Bert Schurink

Concerts are also quite enjoyable, I like the Sting concert a lot...

Posted on: 20 January 2016 by Musicraft (Derby)

Melancholia Euphoria A (Emika)

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

Posted on: 21 January 2016 by Mr Underhill
Mr Underhill posted:

Into The Woods

....As a production it is first rate. The children are the correct age to sing the songs, that is they are pre-pubescent, not too young as in the film. There is more humour here, I think the movie made a mistake in removing the narrator.

Funny how you can edit a post hours later ...that should have read:

....As a production it is first rate. The children are the correct age to sing the songs, that is they are pubescent, not too young as in the film. There is more humour here, I think the movie made a mistake in removing the narrator.

M

Posted on: 25 January 2016 by Mr Underhill

West Side Street

I do wonder whether this would get made today, and certainly doubt that the level of preparation would be the same. This film is probably as good as it gets when it comes to movie musicals.

The BlueRay PQ is a massive step up on the DVD. The DVD is full of nicks and picture issues, the BR is clean and vibrant.

Yet again there is no LPCM soundtrack. The 7.1 is DTS-HA Master Audio. In the opening there is a high level of surround processing, which I find distracting. Once you get into the film proper the audio is predominantly stereo, and all the better for that.

Recommended.

M

Posted on: 18 March 2016 by Mr Underhill

My Fair Lady - 50th Anniversary Edition

Soundtrack = DD TrueHD 7.1.

This version has an updated and the restored film stock further polished and restored to a 4k from an 8k scan. The Region B disc fits in a range of languages by dropping all the extras.

The DVD I already owned, from the same source restoration, boasts an excellent picture and sound quality, however the BR moves it up a further notch. When listening to the DVD after the BR you can hear how the sound is softened; not poor, but a definite step backwards.

M

Posted on: 19 March 2016 by R.K
Mr Underhill posted:

Into The Woods

I had never heard the Sondheim musical until a couple of years ago, and I love it; I can appreciate why a parody called 'Into the Words' was produced.

I bought the BlueRay of a US Stage production. This I still think is the best of the productions that I have, however the soundtrack is a DTS Stereo 48khz. The PQ is 1080p, but it is just OK. As a production it is first rate. The children are the correct age to sing the songs, that is they are pre-pubescent, not too young as in the film. There is more humour here, I think the movie made a mistake in removing the narrator.

Both the DVD and the BlueRay have excellent SQ and PQ. The BlueRay is undoubtedly a step up. In terms of the sound the difference is in the detail. With the DVD the lower registers are delivered as an amorphous whole, with the BlueRay you can define and hear the instruments far more clearly and hear the bowing, for instance, the sort of detail that audiophiles crave - as long as they don't overtake the music.

Movie BlueRay recommended as the best SQ & PQ.

Stage BlueRay recommended as the best version of the musical.

M

My favourite Sondheim. Which stage version have you got on BluRay?  I have the Bernadette Peters Broadway on DVD and would go for the BluRay if the sound was markedly better must I can only find a region1 version 

Posted on: 19 March 2016 by tonym
Mr Underhill posted:

West Side Street

I do wonder whether this would get made today, and certainly doubt that the level of preparation would be the same. This film is probably as good as it gets when it comes to movie musicals.

The BlueRay PQ is a massive step up on the DVD. The DVD is full of nicks and picture issues, the BR is clean and vibrant.

Yet again there is no LPCM soundtrack. The 7.1 is DTS-HA Master Audio. In the opening there is a high level of surround processing, which I find distracting. Once you get into the film proper the audio is predominantly stereo, and all the better for that.

Recommended.

M

I think you mean West Side Story Mr Underhill. I've got the DVD so on your recommendation, the BluRay is ordered!

Posted on: 19 March 2016 by Mr Underhill

Hi Tony,

Yes. I wish I could claim it was a spolling correction by my phone!

I don't think you will be disappointed.

Hi RK,

Yes my BluRay is the Bernadette Peters Broadway  production. It is excellent ....but the PQ and SQ are no better than a DVD (DTS 48k).

M

Posted on: 20 March 2016 by R.K

Thanks Mr Underhill. You've saved me a fortune

Posted on: 21 March 2016 by tonym

Many thanks for the West Side Story recommendation Mr Underhill, I've just finished watching it. Lovely. Great sound and that lovely lush colour you only seem to get from older films.