AV Passthrough - question...

Posted by: fernar on 26 February 2016

I just dont get it... I have just connected my AV Processor to my N272 in pass through mode and for some reason the sound quality of my AV front channel is better when it goes through the N272 vs if the front channel is connected directly to the AV processor...

I though when in AV pass through mode the input is directly connected to the output even by passing the volume control... so what gives why do I get better sound quality going via the N272 to Power amp vs direct out from the AV processor to Power amp?

Not complaining but really curious

Posted on: 27 February 2016 by Richard Dane

I don't know the answer but possibly would guess that it's a an impedance issue or there's something going on with the system signal grounds perhaps?

What is the rest of the kit?

Posted on: 27 February 2016 by Dungassin

Could it be something as simple as you using your AV processor's power amp when not using the 272, but using a Naim poweramp when the 272 is in circuit?

Posted on: 02 March 2016 by fernar

My AV processor is a (still good as new but getting on a bit) Tag Mclaren Av32R -  the front channels were driven by a Bryston 4BSST - the rear and centre driven by Tag Mclaren x100... Now I have the front channel going via the Naim N272 in pass-through mode - which now drives the Bryston 4BSST..

Richard - your suggestion that it could be the impedance difference might explain the difference - although the Tag processor is capable of driving two power amps successfully (a long time ago I had my speakers bi-amped and the Tag used to drive a pair of power amps without any issue..)

Still - I am very please to get an improvement in performance when watching films etc.... even when using my trusted Tag systems - if I know that I could get this level of improvement, I would changed the stereo front end years ago...