DVD 5

Posted by: Harwell on 27 March 2016

DVD 5, will not play DVD's. Any ideas why, anyone? RGB displaying. AUTO displaying. 'STOP' stays lite up. Sounds like it trying to read/play then goes back to 'STOP'.

Connected to Nait 3. Playing music beautifully, TV booming through speakers.

Much appreciated

Posted on: 27 March 2016 by Richard Dane

Has it just started to happen? habe you changed anything?

Do you get the dvd5 setup menu? I.e are you getting a picture signal from the player? 

What region is it set to and are the discs  from that region?

Posted on: 28 March 2016 by Harwell

Hi Richard,

Not watched a DVD since I was gifted it a week or so ago. Don't think I've changed anything. I followed the set up instructions from the manual.

Display screen shows CD times, 'OSD', 'AUTO' 'PAL' etc Also done 'RESET' a few times. Restarted player. No Joy. Tried different cables, including red, blue n green and SCRAT

No signal is being received and DVD is not reading/playing at all.

Region 2 which played on previous Sony DVD player

As I say music plays beautifully.

Posted on: 28 March 2016 by Dungassin

I was going to post a comment, but re-read your original post, and it was not necessary.  How do I CANCEL a post before posting it when I decide not to post after all?

Posted on: 28 March 2016 by hungryhalibut

You just swipe it off the screen to the right. 

Posted on: 28 March 2016 by Harwell

Sorry, don't know Dungassin.

Posted on: 29 March 2016 by Super

I guess it's showing it' age now. Mine has 3 or 4 attempts to eject open from switch on and then sometimes it's struggles to play some DVD's, so far it does get there.... eventually !

Posted on: 29 March 2016 by Harwell

Could be the age. I'm told it was a demo model. Looking at it, you wouldn't know. Even the instruction manual is prestine, so its been well cared for I would say.

Just a shame, I was looking, still look forward to experiencing the much talked about visual quality

We'll just plough on and see we get to.

Posted on: 29 March 2016 by Richard Dane

It sounds as though it may well need a replacement laser mechanism.  I'm not sure what the availability is on these - I think Arcam and Meridian used the same one for a time.

Thanks. Will look into it

I do have a Meridian CD 506 player which jumps occasionally when playing. Nice piece of kit

Posted on: 29 March 2016 by Richard Dane

Check with Naim first on whether they can replace the mechanism. I don't know what their spare stock is like - maybe exhausted after so many years.  However, you may be able to source one independently - I think there were at least two different versions used of the DVS mechanism - pre and post ROHS - so you need to know which one you have.  It was also a mechanism used by Linn as well as Arcam and others.

Posted on: 29 March 2016 by Dungassin
Hungryhalibut posted:

You just swipe it off the screen to the right. 

I assume that's for iPad, iPhone etc.  Don't know HOW to swipe it off screen to the right on my iMac.