Hauptwerk

Posted by: Ardbeg10y on 30 March 2016

Hi,

Being newby on this site...

Happy user of a Supernait 1, CD5i(talic), Chromecast Audio and a set of B&W CM1's in my living room.

I'm also an organ player and will move somewhere in the next year from a standard electronic organ to a Hauptwerk based organ.

This stuff will be in my study / working room.

Since I'm almost daily enjoying my Naim setup I was thinking to use Naim amplification together with the Hauptwerk stuff.

A requirement is that the Naim amplification should not only be used for the Hauptwerk organ, but also for listening during daytime (I'm IT consultant, frequently working from home).

Are there any best practices in this area, suggestions, pitfalls etc ...?

By the way, it suprised me how little information can be found on the internet regarding Naim + Hauptwerk. Are these different planets?

Ardbeg10y

Posted on: 30 March 2016 by Jan-Erik Nordoen

Since Hauptwerk runs on a computer, you will be limited by the computer's DAC. The SN1 has a DAC, but no USB input, so you'll need a USB to S/PDIF converter to get you started. Alternatively, if you have a Mac, you can use a Toslink cable to connect it to the SN1.

On the speaker side (and depending on your neighbours), you might want to move to a full range design, or supplement the CM1s with a pair of subwoofers to get the really low notes that allow full expression of the pipe organ software.

And if you really want to go crazy, you could always adopt Cameron Carpenter's approach...

Posted on: 30 March 2016 by Ardbeg10y

Hi Jan-Erik - and others

I'm planning to buy 'new' new or second hand stuff, but it will be my second system. I intend to keep my Supernait in the living room.

You made a good point about the USB connection. I wasn't aware of the possibility to use an external DAC for hauptwerk.

This means it does make sense to go for the more digital Naim solutions like the Uniti series or the Dac (v1).

Would the USB connection on these devices digest the signal from Hauptwerk?

On Cameron C, I prefer 17th century north-german organ style. I would never prefer the digital stuff above only a single stop of a good build organ :-)

Thanks

Ardbeg10y

Posted on: 30 March 2016 by Ardbeg10y

Hi Jan-Erik - and others

I'm planning to buy 'new' new or second hand stuff, but it will be my second system. I intend to keep my Supernait in the living room.

You made a good point about the USB connection. I wasn't aware of the possibility to use an external DAC for hauptwerk.

This means it does make sense to go for the more digital Naim solutions like the Uniti series or the Dac (v1).

Would the USB connection on these devices digest the signal from Hauptwerk?

On Cameron C, I prefer 17th century north-german organ style. I would never prefer the digital stuff above only a single stop of a good build organ :-)

Thanks

Ardbeg10y

Posted on: 30 March 2016 by Jan-Erik Nordoen
Ardbeg10y posted:

Within Naim, the only standalone DAC with a USB input is the V1. The Uniti series do not have USB inputs, so you would still need to use either a USB to S/PDIF adapter, or connect a Mac via an optical cable. 

Jan

Posted on: 30 March 2016 by Massimo Bertola

Curiously enough, a student of mine mentioned Hauptwerk to me last week, while we were discussing tunings and temperaments. I knew nothing about it. He is an organ player and is moving to Hauptwerk for his 'homework'. I'd be very curious to hear the various options regarding temperaments, because the subject of our discussion was a very chromatic piece by Frescobaldi and how it would have sounded on a tentatively 'open' tuning of the beginning of the 17th century...

I understand this is completely off-topic in the HiFi Corner, but I'll be curious to know more about your experiments with Hauptwerk and Naim.

Best

M

Posted on: 31 March 2016 by Ardbeg10y

@Jan Erik

I see quite a lot of Naim devices having USB input, but is the difference between them and the Dac V1 that the Dac V1 has a Asynchronous USB port and the others not? That's the difference I could find.

If so, the Dac V1 will be high on my list since I could connect another Chromecast Audio to it which caters for the streaming part and the USB would cater for Hauptwerk.

@Massimo

Don't expect a quick decision, I need to save some more money first :-) But, patience is a nice thing and implies an interesting journey.

On the topic of music: one of the reasons for Hauptwerk is to be able to load different samplesets in different tunings. Chromatic fantasies sound way to mild on modern instruments. If eg the Chromatic Fantasy of Sweelinck (which I prefer to the Frescobaldi one) gets played on mean-tone, it is connecting 17th century and now together since it is still very modern and a life glimpse of the past.

In case you play the Harpsichord, it should not be that different to tune your instrument differently? I know my fellow Harpsichord fanatics did this in almost no time.

Ardbeg10y

Posted on: 31 March 2016 by ChrisSU
Ardbeg10y posted:

@Jan Erik

I see quite a lot of Naim devices having USB input, but is the difference between them and the Dac V1 that the Dac V1 has a Asynchronous USB port and the others not? That's the difference I could find.

The USB inputs on most Naim devices (streamers and Unitis) have limited functionality, and can play from memory sticks or iPhones, but that's about it. The V1 was designed to play from a computer, so really is the right tool for the job. Alternatives to consider might be a Chord USB DAC (eg Hugo or 2Qute) or Naim N-DAC/SPDIF converter. 

Posted on: 31 March 2016 by Ardbeg10y

I will put the Dac V1 as my first option on the list. It looks as a good option to me since I could use it to listen Spotify via Chromecast Audio during daytime, and during evenings I could use the Dac for my Hauptwerk setup. Very good option.

As far as I see, the primary candidate amplifier to the Dac V1 is the Nap 100.

I have some doubts here. When I bought my Supernait + CM1's I had high expectations of listening to organ music (did not bring this to the audition - don't ask me why). It was a bit of a disappointment. Maybe because I know very well how real beautiful instruments sound. Then I started to go through my cd libary and I was greatly surprised that I finally started to like the Symphonies from Rachmaninoff and even more impressive Tchaikovski. What a stunning experience to hear a full orchestra building up a long crescendo to a brilliant fortissimo. So, happy on my current setup, but I feel quite uncertain which Poweramp + Speakers would work nicely with the Dac V1 to 'present' organ music. I assume here that Hauptwerk requires the same from the amplification + speakers as a normal organ cd recording.

Since it's going to be my second system, I'm fine to have a complete different type of sound. My Supernait + CD5i(talic) + CM1's are quite warm (which is great in the Romantic Symphonies), but a more analytical sound would not be a problem.

Posted on: 31 March 2016 by Jan-Erik Nordoen
Ardbeg10y posted:

I feel quite uncertain which Poweramp + Speakers would work nicely with the Dac V1 to 'present' organ music. I assume here that Hauptwerk requires the same from the amplification + speakers as a normal organ cd recording.

Have a look at the site pcorgan dot com. The second page under 'Requirements' provides useful guidance for active or passive speakers, and the need for a good subwoofer, since, for the full effect, you will want to clearly reproduce a 16 Hz note. That's low !

Reading through that site, I wonder if a two-channel DAC such as the V1 is the best idea. It seems that to fully exploit the possibilities of Hauptwerk, you would be better off using a multi-channel MIDI interface / sound card (DAC), and then active speakers. Unless you have the option in the software to mix down to two-channels.

Is there a particular reason for wanting to use a Naim DAC with Hauptwerk ?

Jan 

Posted on: 31 March 2016 by ChrisSU

I didn't realise you were considering the DAC purchase for a second system....not a bad thing, though, as I wouldn't have thought your current speakers were the ideal choice for organ music. If you can stretch to a NAP200 rather than a 100, I think that would be better - a good used one would be fine, don't worry about the new DR version if you use it with the V1. I agree with Jan that a sub would be worth considering too, for obvious reasons.

Posted on: 02 April 2016 by Massimo Bertola
Ardbeg10y posted:

In case you play the Harpsichord, it should not be that different to tune your instrument differently? I know my fellow Harpsichord fanatics did this in almost no time.

Hi,

no I don't play the Harpsichord.. My interest in temperaments and tunings comes out regularly with some students during lessons of harmony or counterpoint, when the complex origin of harmony must be traced back to acoustics, physics and perception.. 

Best

M

Posted on: 15 April 2016 by Ardbeg10y

Hi,

An update from my side. The journey continues and I have a few new ideas. The plan to get a Dac V1 is getting stronger. I've read quite a lot about it and I've not been able to find serious negative comments. Also, I got aware of the good Headphone Amp which is included. However I have a detached house, my familiy would appreciate a headphone when I do real study (repeating the same phrase over and over again).

I got another idea. I do have currently a Supernait and I have the idea to bring in something quite different. Therefore I consider getting an older NAP to pair with the Dac V1. Something like a CB or Olive NAP 180 / 250. Just to have a system which could potentially bring different aspects in music audible compared to my SN. Has anybody experience in pairing a Dac V1 with an older amp?

The obvious missing part in this post is about the Speakers. I really don't have a clue yet. In a month time I will bring my SN + Speakers to my organ and do some tests. I would not be surprise if my CM1's go deeper than the build in speakers of my Johannus. The 16 feet stops sound quite ugly and only 16 feet stops having a lot of overtones sound reasonable.

Ardbeg10y