SuperUniti versions?

Posted by: Javi A. on 29 June 2016

Hi to all from Spain!

I am seriously thinking about to get a SU to replace my almost new UQ2. Looking at the second hand market I see at least two version of the SU. One with bluetooth and another without. Are there any other specs that also changer, like sampling rate, radio... between other versions? Any idea about when these versions appear (in terms of serial numbers)? Is it possible to update all to the last firmware (tidal is a must)?

Thanks for all you help.

...Javi

Posted on: 29 June 2016 by joerand

Javi,

There are three useful resources to find information on the SuperUniti:

1) search the Naim Knowledge base here . You may find some limited information on the SuperUniti versions.

2) email the same question you posted above to "support@naimaudio.com". Get a technical answer straight from the horse's mouth.

3) Use succeeding answers you get to your topic post as insight from folks that are actually using the SuperUniti in the real world.

Best wishes!

Posted on: 29 June 2016 by Richard Dane

Javi, I think that the only major hardware change was the addition of bluetooth, but as Joe recommends above, if you want accurate chapter and verse your best bet is to e-mail Naim directly.

Posted on: 29 June 2016 by Javi A.

Ok. I will email them to see what they say.

Thanks

Posted on: 29 June 2016 by hungryhalibut

The only difference is the Bluetooth. 

Posted on: 29 June 2016 by Javi A.

And what do you think about 2000 GBP for a 2012 unit?

Posted on: 30 June 2016 by hungryhalibut

If it's from a dealer with a warranty it seems ok. If it's a private sale it seems a little expensive.  

Posted on: 30 June 2016 by Javi A.
Hungryhalibut posted:

The only difference is the Bluetooth. 

People from Naim reply me really quickly (thanks Phil Harris!)! The diference is as you say the bluetooth but also the DAB module was updated to DAB+.

...Javi

Posted on: 30 June 2016 by Drewy

I've never tried out the dab on mine. I just use Internet radio. 

This is not an issue in Spain, as we do not have DAB (well... theoretically we have it but only in some zones of Madrid and Barcelona).

Posted on: 30 June 2016 by PeterJ

As I say whenever this crops up, I bought an S/H earlier version on a well known auction site a year ago and am delighted with it. I paid £2300 for a late 2013 version.

Posted on: 30 June 2016 by ChrisSU

I can't remember weather the earliest Superunitis had 24/192 boards in them. You will want this to get multiroom, Tidal and HLS radio streams as well as playing 24/192 Hi-res audio, so make sure the unit has it. 

Posted on: 30 June 2016 by hungryhalibut

They did. 

This is the reply from Naim service.

The Bluetooth versions of the SuperUniti can be identified by them having a Bluetooth antenna connector on the rear panel. The only other change implemented at that time was that the DAB/FM tuner module in the SuperUniti was updated from DAB to DAB+ capable.

Both variants can be updated to the latest firmware and will support Spotify Connect and TIDAL.

ChrisSU posted:

I can't remember weather the earliest Superunitis had 24/192 boards in them. You will want this to get multiroom, Tidal and HLS radio streams as well as playing 24/192 Hi-res audio, so make sure the unit has it. 

It looks that you are confusing with the Qute or other Uniti device. I am sure that first UQ reach "only" to 96 kHz.

...Javi

Posted on: 30 June 2016 by Dan.S

feeling a bit stupid for paying 3500GBP for a brand new unit, 3 months ago...

Dan.S posted:

feeling a bit stupid for paying 3500GBP for a brand new unit, 3 months ago...

Of course having a brand new one has its advantages. New product, only one user, guaranty...