Has anyone got Sky Q yet?

Posted by: Consciousmess on 18 July 2016

I was just researching when 4k will be transmitted and noticed Sky are offering this with Sky Q.

Anyone have this yet?

Posted on: 19 July 2016 by tonym

Our ancient Sky HD box started misbehaving recently so I bought a new one to replace it, after first looking into Sky Q. But it's expensive, we've no use for it's multi-room or multi-simultaneous recording, and you don't actually own the equipment. The 4K material's going to be mostly sport, which we've no great interest in. We've a Samsung 4K TV & can get 4K through Netflix and Amazon; OK, it's potentially not as good as 4K via satellite, but still very good indeed.

I'll be waiting a bit for this, too early to dip into it IMO.

Posted on: 19 July 2016 by Eloise

If you have a full Sky package including Sports, Movies and had multi-room box, then the cost is marginal and for some people its actually a reduction.

The multi-room does work well, though in some cases the UI is less friendly than the Sky+HD interface - or at least takes some getting used to.

4K will be both movies and sports with (afaik) live sports being via satellite and movies via progressive download - so you'll need a reasonable speed internet connection if you're not going to wait overnight for the download.

Generally I would say it works as advertised...

Posted on: 20 July 2016 by Consciousmess

Ok cheers for feedback.  I read Sky details more clearly and - unsurprisingly - to get the full 4k capabilities you need their 'plus' version.

Their marketing nature always irks me, even though Sky is leagues ahead of Virgin.

Posted on: 20 July 2016 by Eloise

Yes you need the SkyQ Silver box.

Posted on: 21 July 2016 by GerryMcg

I was keen initially when this was released, however, I have 4 multi room boxes at the moment. This gives me (potentially) 8 recordings + 4 live. Very disappointed to find that maximum on Sky Q is  much reduced. Also it would appear that there is only one store and, therefore, all  recordings by the four of us will be presented as  a single library.