Blu Ray Player

Posted by: IanG on 16 September 2016

Currently my home cinema 5.1 system comprises a cheap Sony blu ray player into a surround sound receiver (Rotel RSX 1550) via HDMI. The front left/right channels are run via my Naim 252/300 with the 252 in AV bypass mode. All other channels are run by the Rotel.

My question is this, in the above set up, would replacing the Sony blu ray with a premium player (e.g. Oppo etc) would I benefit with improved picture and audio or are these processed in the Rotel and hence would be the same quality regardless of which blu ray player I use ?

Apologies if this is a very basic question but I'm not sure which part of the chain is responsible for what as far as the audio and image processing is concerned.

Posted on: 16 September 2016 by Paul@HiFi Lounge

Hi IANG,

In your setup you should most definitely benefit on the picture front, especially if you go for one of the OPPO D models like the 103D as these have Darbee picture processing built in which can make a real difference.

If you have your Blu Ray player set to output Bitstream then your receiver will be doing the decoding so you probably won't notice much difference on the audio front, you could try setting to PCM though so that the player does the decoding and outputs it to the receiver but overall it is never a bad idea to use a quality player but it may be prudent to just wait a little longer as the new models are just round the corner from OPPO to cater for 4K etc.

Regards,

Paul.

Posted on: 17 September 2016 by Adam Zielinski

I would recommend Oppo 105d. 

Much better DACs and has analogue mutlichannel outputs so you coukd even play SACD or BlurRay audio discs in 5.1. 

Posted on: 17 September 2016 by Finkfan

I hear lots of good things about the Oppo range. Not seen or heard any yet. Think I'll wait and see their new 4K player before I upgrade my pioneer player. 

Posted on: 17 September 2016 by tonym

Oppo are truly excellent. Still got my ancient old Oppo DVD player, & I've currently got a 103D (don't need the DAC processing, since I either send through my Denon processor via HDMI or to my Chord DAC via optical). I'm waiting with great anticipation for their 4K model.

Posted on: 17 September 2016 by Adam Zielinski

Good point from Tony. 

If you don't intend to use your Oppo's internal DAC than 103D is sufficient. It has the same video processor as 105D. 

105D adds analogue multi-channel outputs with a separate DAC and balanced L/R with a dedicated DAC. 

Posted on: 17 September 2016 by Mr Underhill

Hi Iang,

I replaced my AV2 using the Oppo 105D analogue outputs, which you could do with your Rotel. If you have a nearby dealer I would see if you can borrow the 105D and compare the Oppo processing to the Rotel, be interested in what you find. Works brilliantly with my Audio videos, as well as normal movies. The Oppo is surprisingly capable as a network streamer, although it obviously won't threaten your NDS.

M

Posted on: 19 September 2016 by KRM

Apparently Sony are bringing out a 4K player which can play DVD-Audio, which might be interesting.

Keith

Posted on: 20 September 2016 by tonym

No, I'll be holding out for the Oppo one. Lots of reasons I like them, one of which is the excellent product support available, should you need it.

Posted on: 20 September 2016 by Adam Zielinski

I'm with Tony on that - Oppo has been a great source and offers a very flexible platform.

Posted on: 20 September 2016 by Ardbeg10y

This is a great topic which addresses a question many of us must have. We're all looking for the 4K Blu Ray players to come.

Personally, I do like the Cambridge Audio stuff as well, and they have also no 4K Blu Ray player yet.

Has anybody heared any news on Cambridge Audio 4K BR players?

Posted on: 20 September 2016 by Mike1380

Given that the current Cambridge Audio Azur is based on the Oppo, and is a hybrid placed somewhere between the 103 & 105 spec list, I'd be surprised if Cambridge offer a 4k player before Oppo do.

I've seen images of the new Oppo 203, which appears to have lost one of the HDMI inputs compared to the pair fitted to the outgoing 103.

As I don't have a 4k screen, have oodles of DVDs and a handfull of regular blurays, and as I aim to use the new player like Mr Underhill as a processor either when (or better still, before) my AV2 decides to shuffle off, if the forthcoming 205 premium model (that's an intelligent guess, not a known fact) doesn't offer a serious step up on the DAC front then I may very well grab an end of line 105D.

Posted on: 20 September 2016 by Finkfan

Cant wait to see how it performs. I shall be getting in touch with my dealer for a demo when they become available 

Posted on: 20 September 2016 by IanG

Are we likely to see the end of line current models discounted ? I'm not too interested in 4K.

Posted on: 20 September 2016 by Eloise
Mike1380 posted:

I've seen images of the new Oppo 203, which appears to have lost one of the HDMI inputs compared to the pair fitted to the outgoing 103.

According to CNet the 203 has twin HDMI outputs.

Posted on: 21 September 2016 by Mike1380
Eloise posted:
Mike1380 posted:

According to CNet the 203 has twin HDMI outputs.

Yep, I saw that in the images too.... but the 103/105 also have two HDMI INputs each (one front, one back).

The images of the 203 clearly show a single HDMI INput and 2 x HDMI output on the rear, but the front panel only seems to have a USB in, no HDMI in.

Posted on: 21 September 2016 by Eloise
Mike1380 posted:

Yep, I saw that in the images too.... but the 103/105 also have two HDMI INputs each (one front, one back).

One of these days I will learn to read... :-)

Posted on: 22 September 2016 by Kevin-W

Looks like the 203 wil be priced at £599 and it will be available here by Xmas. Two HDMI outputs, 7.1-channel surround sound speaker outputs, three USB 3.0 outputs, built in wi-fi and optical and coaxial digital outputs.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/new...y-playing-powerhouse

Posted on: 22 September 2016 by Eloise

$499 becomes £599!

Posted on: 14 October 2016 by NickSeattle

Never heard anybody beats Oppo,at any price.  105D is THE safe buy.  Are there any real challengers?

Nick

Posted on: 15 October 2016 by Adam Zielinski
NickSeattle posted:

Never heard anybody beats Oppo,at any price.  105D is THE safe buy.  Are there any real challengers?

Nick

I don't beat my Oppo... tend to use it though 

It is probably the best universal player, irrespective of the price.

Posted on: 15 October 2016 by tonym
Kevin-W posted:

Looks like the 203 wil be priced at £599 and it will be available here by Xmas. Two HDMI outputs, 7.1-channel surround sound speaker outputs, three USB 3.0 outputs, built in wi-fi and optical and coaxial digital outputs.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/new...y-playing-powerhouse

Oh God, I really, really want one of these! I guess it'll also have an HDMI input, which until I got 4K I put all my video sources through to take advantage of the Darbee processing in my 103D. For what you get the price is a bargain.

Posted on: 13 December 2016 by tonym

I received notification yesterday that the new Oppo UDP-203 4K disc player is available to pre-order, with despatch in two days. But only for the USA at the moment. Booo!!!

Posted on: 14 December 2016 by Foot tapper

Easy tiger!

Posted on: 14 December 2016 by count.d

I was getting excited about the Oppo arriving too, until it sunk in that's there's nothing to play in it.

Posted on: 14 December 2016 by T38.45

I was in the biggest electronic store around here (TV, trash audio, etc...the usual stuff) and chatted with a sales person ....He told me, that they will remove their offerings of BlueRay recorder/players because of streaming provider (netflix and co). Young folks will not buy disk-player he says, they subscribe and move to the internet ;-)