New AV Receiver For 4K

Posted by: IanG on 30 October 2016

I've just added Sky Q to my system and am contemplating getting the new Oppo 203 when it's released.

With the potential for watching 4K material, I'm now going to have to replace my current AV receiver (Rotel RSX-1550) as it does not support 4K pass through.

Does anyone have any recommendations ? I'd be looking at a budget up to £1.5K, something fairly simple to set up and I'd still be looking to use my Naim amp to drive the front speakers.

Posted on: 30 October 2016 by BPou

I am also interested on the same issue.  let see what the people in the forum say.

Posted on: 30 October 2016 by Eloise

You don't need to swap your receiver ... you should be able to add a 4K capable switch with separate audio out (if you need to)

Certainly with Sky just run HDMI to the TV direct and use Optical for audio to your receiver.  The Oppo 203 run HDMI to the TV from HDMI1 on the 203 and connect HDMI2 to your receiver.  Makes controlling the AV system a little more complicated but saves buying a new receiver which isn't likely to improve sound quality.

If you do decide to go for a new receiver, something like Arcam AVR390 would be ideal though above your stated budget at around £2000.

I have a 272/300 DR that I use for music.  I want to add AV for movies/surround by adding a receiver that can handle 4K.  But, I want to to main channels to continue be driven by the 272/300.  For movies, the AV receiver would do the decoding and pass the two main channels to the 272/300.  How do I do that?  I don't want to have two separate set of speakers driven separated systems.  I want to integrate as transparently as possible.  

Posted on: 30 October 2016 by Eloise
BPou posted:

I have a 272/300 DR that I use for music.  I want to add AV for movies/surround by adding a receiver that can handle 4K.  But, I want to to main channels to continue be driven by the 272/300.  For movies, the AV receiver would do the decoding and pass the two main channels to the 272/300.  How do I do that?  I don't want to have two separate set of speakers driven separated systems.  I want to integrate as transparently as possible.  

You need to buy a AV receiver which has pre-outs for the front two channels.  The base level models don't but from mid-range Uk they do.  Then run a pair of RCA cables from the pre-out to one of the analogue inputs of the 272; for that input set it to "AV Fixed Volume" (within the Setup / Inputs menu). 

Now balance the channel volumes / set distance delays (or run auto setup) as normal.  The front channels will be amplified by your Naim the rest amplified by the AV Receiver.

Many thanks, Eloise.   I am just beginning to explore options.  Excellent.

Posted on: 31 October 2016 by Adam Zielinski

Any of the Yamaha (Aventage series) or Denon will do a good job.

Posted on: 25 November 2016 by Bouba

hey all, 

Any news regarding the chosen AVR to integrate a Naim kit (the upcoming Atom for instance)? 

I'm also interested in buying a receiver that would has pre-amp outputs (brand new or second-hand) and I've been browsing the internet lately and figured out that actually entry or even mid level receivers don't often comes out with such outputs and even the Denon ones barely proposes a Zone 2 outputs. I don't want to amplify another room, just something that would allow to integrate the Naim in a HT set up 

Any suggestion is welcome

Posted on: 25 November 2016 by NickSeattle

Hi, Brouba.

Do you have a short list started?  What are your requirements? 

Nick

Posted on: 25 November 2016 by NickSeattle

Iang,

I have run a number of different AV setups over the years, and have come to the conclusion that the Naim AV2 is a particularly wonderful AV-pre precisely because it is video-agnostic -- it does not get involved with video at all.  There is something delightfully "hair-shirt/manual turntable" about keeping all of the video duties between the sources and display, while letting Naim focus on the sound.

The AV2 begins to fall apart if distributing AV is a requirement, which I have done before, and plan to do again, someday.  If that is not your requirement, my advice would adjust accordingly.

Nick

Posted on: 26 November 2016 by Eloise

If there's no special requirements, the Marantz NR1506 / Nr1607 are slim models with full 4K compatibility and have pre-out for the front channels. Beyond that all the current Marantz models have at least 7.1 pre out.

Posted on: 09 December 2016 by Wals79
IanG posted:

I've just added Sky Q to my system and am contemplating getting the new Oppo 203 when it's released.

With the potential for watching 4K material, I'm now going to have to replace my current AV receiver (Rotel RSX-1550) as it does not support 4K pass through.

Does anyone have any recommendations ? I'd be looking at a budget up to £1.5K, something fairly simple to set up and I'd still be looking to use my Naim amp to drive the front speakers.

I currently have a Marantz AV 8802a connected to my Naim system for home cinema admittedly its a little above your stated budget but is available seconhand for a bit less 4k capable and has everything you could ever need including hdcp 2.2 for 4k broadcast decoding cannot recommend it enough

Posted on: 09 December 2016 by Eloise

Going back to the OP ... of course if you have an Oppo 203 there may be no need for any replacement AVR.

The Oppo 203 has (will have) a HDMI input from your Sky Q.  The analogue outputs of the Oppo can then pass to your Rotel receiver (or sell the Rotel and get a NAP V175).

Posted on: 09 December 2016 by Bert Schurink

I would suggest that you take an NAD Receiver. Good sound and upgradeable through modules to the latest technologies....

Posted on: 25 December 2016 by IanG

Well, I've now got the OPPO 203 and jolly fine it is too.

They've thought of everything...there is an audio only HDMI out so, when I do go 4K I can put the Sky Q box into the OPPO, an HDMI out from the OPPO to the TV for pictures and one to the Rotel for audio. Therefore, no need to replace the trusty Rotel just yet.