TV optical out into Naim NDX issue - clicks

Posted by: overprint on 24 November 2016

Anybody any ideas as to why recently (ie over the past 2-3 months), when listening to the TV via the NDX/Naim system, every couple of minutes or so I hear a click - like a "digital hiccup"?

It only happens when playing the TV as source so the hifi isn't the problem and it's most noticeable when watching via the Sky HD box (HDMI connection into TV). Doesn't seem to happen if watching a DVD or Blu Ray.

Is there some clocking issue with Sky/TV and optical out? Is a software upgrade to blame? [Optical cable runs from back of TV.]

If anyone has any ideas, they'd be gratefully received

Posted on: 24 November 2016 by Mike-B

I posted a reply to your thread over on the other "plaice"

I have a Sony TV connected over a 7.5m optical 'cable' to my NDX. It doesn't have any sound issues such as clicks, the SQ is really good. And I'm not judging the SQ on TV transmissions alone but on BR & DVD of live concerts for the likes of Clapton, Gilmour etc.. I have the TV set to send PCM.

Posted on: 24 November 2016 by james n

As per the PFM post - there is a setting in the NDX settings menu for the digital inputs which allows you to set an input to deal with an 'unstable' digital source. You might want to try setting this to on for your optical input on the NDX to see if this helps. See the Setup section (page 12) in the user manual. 

James

I found setting Unstable Source on the Optical Input (3) to Yes degraded the SQ,  its not that bad, but its not as good.   I have mine set to No & based on previous TV hook ups found the answer is in the TV.   I have PCM o my Sony but if your TV doesn't PCM then look for something like 2 channel or similar.

Posted on: 24 November 2016 by james n

It's a sticking plaster solution Mike not a fix - as you say the issue lies elsewhere but unless you can change something in the TV settings then you've not go a lot of choice. Out of interest to the OP, why don't you connect the various sources directly to the NDX rather than using the TV ?

PS - just connecting the Sky box straight to the NDX would tell you if the problem lies with TV or Sky box. 

Posted on: 24 November 2016 by Simon-in-Suffolk
overprint posted:

Anybody any ideas as to why recently (ie over the past 2-3 months), when listening to the TV via the NDX/Naim system, every couple of minutes or so I hear a click - like a "digital hiccup"?

It only happens when playing the TV as source so the hifi isn't the problem and it's most noticeable when watching via the Sky HD box (HDMI connection into TV). Doesn't seem to happen if watching a DVD or Blu Ray.

Is there some clocking issue with Sky/TV and optical out? Is a software upgrade to blame? [Optical cable runs from back of TV.]

If anyone has any ideas, they'd be gratefully received

Hi - i find the quality of the SkySTB - (my Sky+ DRX780 STB) to be quite mediocre - and I think Sky must be having issues with the drivers/hardware here - there are sync issues, loss of output all together and hiccups. It did improve - but seems to have deteriorated again recently - possibly with a more recent firmware update. 

In a previous life i was very much involved with testing builds on  Sky set top boxes and at best they were often temperamental.

I've just re-read your post (big laptop screen vs mini tablet screen makes all the difference)     " ......... noticeable when watching via the Sky HD box ......... Doesn't seem to happen if watching a DVD or Blu Ray ........ Optical cable runs from back of TV."    That actually answers the question & points the finger at the Sky box & whilst I know diddly squat about Sky boxes,  Simon's Sky experience thoughts confirms the same.      

Posted on: 24 November 2016 by overprint

Thanks folks for the responses. I'm using a Sony TV  and it's optical output is set to PCM. I'll try the setting within the NDX as was unaware of it but I agree with most of you, it's probably a Sky issue, again probably linked to a firmware update as the problem only arose couple of months ago and nothing else in the system or chain has changed.

I'll contact Sky and post anything constructive I receive back.