Blu-ray and DVD storage

Posted by: Loki on 07 December 2016

What's the best storage you've come across? It's time to upgrade our cheap IKEA open and 'garage' utility shelves upon which they are stacked. Wood preferred especially oak or Maple.

Posted on: 07 December 2016 by winkyincanada

We don't buy many discs these days, either streaming from Netflix or iTunes or buying the downloads. Have you considered ripping the movies and playing from a NAS via a media PC/Mac? I'l admit Blu-ray has the edge in terms of quality, but the other sources are fine for 99% of things.

Posted on: 07 December 2016 by Guy007

It depends on whether you want 3 ft or 6ft high cabinets.  Doors ?  How many DVD/Blu do you have ? Do you 'double' back them ?  At what rate are you adding to the collection ? Fixed or moveable shelves ?

My collection is in 3 half height IKEA Billy units, double backed, holds about 5oo films per unit, doesn't look as nice as Oak or Maple, but does the job.

Posted on: 08 December 2016 by Loki

Good questions. We've probably got about 200 titles. I really notice the sound and visual quality of blu ray over streaming, so probably investing in 10-15 discs a year. Oak Billy could be an idea, but was trying to look for something a little less utilitarian.