System Pics 2017

Posted by: hungryhalibut on 17 December 2016

Welcome to System Pics 2017. To get us started here is a picture of my setup: other than longer legs on the rack and some new wires, it's just the same as last year. 

Posted on: 17 December 2016 by Kermit

Nigel, what camera did you use to take the photo if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks

I should explain why I asked. Is your left speaker lighter in colour than the right one? I know when speakers are exposed to extended and continuous sun light this can fade the wood. Apologies, but just curious to know.

Many thanks.

Posted on: 17 December 2016 by hungryhalibut

It's just the light; they are the same colour. I used my Fujifilm X10. But enough questions - post a picture. 

Posted on: 17 December 2016 by Bodger

Some recent changes to get to the end game. The 552 in place, but with old 300 as the first games changer:

Then the big boy 500 arrives - lots of faffing with shelves ahead:

Final installment from a few weeks ago:

That's all folks.

Dave

Oh, ok, thanks for that, I thought it was a bad case of the sun bleaching the left hand speaker, phew. One of my friends had a pair of oak Wharfdale Diamond (I think) and he had one placed in a bay window, in the end it looked as though he had one oak speaker and one maple speaker!!

it might be an idea to put the camera on a tripod, or something sturdy, and manually set the camera for a longer exposure, this will even up the shadows that your equipment is in, and balance the speaker colour up. No offence intended but I did do a part time course on photography and really found that this helps. Happy 2017 to everyone, when it comes.

Posted on: 17 December 2016 by Finkfan

Temperary location in the bay window of the lounge. Will post another when it's moved into the office in the new year. 

Posted on: 17 December 2016 by wenger2015

Love the speakers,  great set up, must come round for a listen, sometime soon.

Posted on: 17 December 2016 by wenger2015
wenger2015 posted:

Meant to say love the Revel speakers...

Finkfan, be VERY careful! Please read my post above to Hungryhalibut.

Many thanks

Posted on: 17 December 2016 by intothevoid

wenger2015 posted:
wenger2015 posted:

Meant to say love the Revel speakers...

You're always welcome [@mention:50422349809511500]

Kermit posted:

Finkfan, be VERY careful! Please read my post above to Hungryhalibut.

Many thanks

Thanks [@mention:49577348705879576]. This is only a very temp position.  No direct sunlight and most of the time the curtains are slightly drawn to guarantee this! My good lady wife isn't thrilled about this, but it is a very temporary compromise for the next month or so till my office is ready. 

Posted on: 17 December 2016 by rjstaines

Doing a bit of ripping...

The system as at December 2016

System as at 1965  (that's fifty something years ago, before I discovered Naim)

Posted on: 17 December 2016 by MDS
rjstaines posted:

Goodness me. That's one impressive system you have there sir. 

Posted on: 17 December 2016 by u77033103172058601

Posted on: 17 December 2016 by Emre
MDS posted:
rjstaines posted:

Nothing missing front the Naim Catalog and some more.... i can not fallow what is what  Enjoy it!

If the average person would be like you sir naim was far better than apple financially! 

What do you have there as a headphone rig? Stax? 

Posted on: 17 December 2016 by DrMark
rjstaines posted:

"Staggering"...in more than one sense!

Posted on: 17 December 2016 by Adam Zielinski

Main change this year: NDS and a pre-loved 252

Posted on: 17 December 2016 by Pcd
I bet the Wharfdale Dentons sound nice ??
Emre posted:
MDS posted:
rjstaines posted:

Nothing missing front the Naim Catalog and some more.... i can not fallow what is what  Enjoy it!

If the average person would be like you sir naim was far better than apple financially! 

Yes Emre, Stax.  The cans are SR009s and the energiser is the (4 valve) SRM-007tII Kimik.   The sound is rather special but comes nowhere near what the Diamond 802s deliver.

rjstaines posted:

System as at 1965  (that's fifty something years ago, before I discovered Naim)

I just realised... note the similarity... two turntables in 1965,  two turntables in 2016.  Just not the same two turntables. 

Oh, and the record collection's grown since then too, from a few 7"  to a few more than that LPs.

Posted on: 17 December 2016 by MDS
rjstaines posted:
Emre posted:
MDS posted:
rjstaines posted:

Yes Emre, Stax.  The cans are SR009s and the energiser is the (4 valve) SRM-007tII Kimik.   The sound is rather special but comes nowhere near what the Diamond 802s deliver.

Much as a I like good quality headphones I've yet to hear a pair that can match the wonderful feeling through your feet and chest that a decent set of floor standing speakers can deliver.  

MDS posted:
rjstaines posted:

Much as a I like good quality headphones I've yet to hear a pair that can match the wonderful feeling through your feet and chest that a decent set of floor standing speakers can deliver.  

You're absolutely on the button, MDS