Naim Nait XS-2 in home theatre setup

Posted by: RossT on 01 January 2017

Does anybody here can share their expience with using Naim Nait XS-2 (70W) integrated into a home cinema setup? I am currently using one along with Denon 3313 AVR and I am really struggling to understand why the Naim XS-2 seem largely underpowered by comparision to both Nait 5si and my earlier Creek Evolution 5350 amplifiers. Somehow the XS-2 is extremely powerful in stereo mode but when switched to AV bypass mode my front speakers seem undepowered and the Audissey calibration of the Denon receiver pushes them by +3.5 dB while lowering the other speakers in the room. This is the exact opposite of what happens with the other 2 amplifiers I had, where the front 2 speakers get approx.  -4 dB after calibaration all else being equal. The front speakers I am using are large 25 kg floor standers @ 8 Ohm, 75 W, 90 dB/W/m sensitivity, while the rest are from the Monitor Audio RX series. Thanks for your help.    

Posted on: 02 January 2017 by Adam Zielinski

I use my SN2 with Yamaha Aventage 5000 series. Tried the automatic calibration - disaster. I resorted to manual calibration and have set the following:

* Front left: 0 dB

* Front right: 0 dB

* Centre: - 3.5 db

* Rear left: - 3.5 dB

* Rear right: - 3.5 dB

* Sub: 0 dB

It's always better to attenuate, with the quietest speaker ar 0 dB, rather than boost.

As to why such a difference - most likely down to a sheer 'power amp output' between the two devices.

Adam

Posted on: 02 January 2017 by RossT

Hi Adam,

Thanks for sharing. For me the problem is that front speakers do genuinely sound quieter during calibration. I doubt this can be considered a calibration error as such. This only happens with the XS-2 amp and not with the other two amps (conversely Naim Nait 5si gets -6dB on the front speakers and they sound really loud during calibration) so I am not likely to blame either the Denon AVR or the Audissey calibration.        

Posted on: 02 January 2017 by Adam Zielinski

I had a similar issue - that is why I calibrated it manually with the settings I found to work to my satisfaction. 

It's all relative anyway - set it the way you like it and just enjoy

Adam