Bluray/skyhd/tv Mains cable upgrades

Posted by: Finkfan on 09 January 2017

I'm curious to find out what mains cables people are using on their AV boxes. When I set up my "office" next month I'll have space to install my own TV, Sky and Blu-ray . These will be powered by their own 6mm ring main. In the rest of the house I currently only use the supplied cables. I did spend an evening a few months ago trying my TQ mains cables on my Sky box and TV and I felt there was an improvement in Colour, contrast and image sharpness. However I'm not sure I want to spent that kind of money and I feel they are probably an overkill here.

What cables do you use? What improvements were there? Do you use the same manufacturers HDMI cables, if they make them?

Posted on: 09 January 2017 by intothevoid

I put a black rhodium power cable that I had lying around on my projector and noticed an immediate improvement, but putting a spare power line on my AV amp made no difference.

unfortunately me blu ray has a captive lead so no tweaking there.

Posted on: 09 January 2017 by Finkfan

Which BR cable is it [@mention:1566878603979181]?

Posted on: 09 January 2017 by intothevoid

Supermains 25 if I remember correctly. It noticeably changed the way the projector handled reds, all for the better. Skin tones looked like people were embarrassed or flushed, now they look much more natural.

Posted on: 09 January 2017 by Finkfan

Thanks for the info. 

Posted on: 09 January 2017 by Adam Zielinski

I use predominantly two types of power cables on non-Naim boxes:

MIT Magnum on sources like Oppo.

Enerr Violet on Yamaha pre-power for AV.

HDMI cables - a mixture of MIT and Wireworld.

Posted on: 10 January 2017 by Finkfan

Those MIT cables look impressive Adam. Not sure we have them in the UK though.

Posted on: 10 January 2017 by Adam Zielinski
Finkfan posted:

Those MIT cables look impressive Adam. Not sure we have them in the UK though.

They seem to be reducing their presence recently. My deale has worked with them for many years and is not really continuing anymore.

Magnum is a good cable. I think I still use it on my SuperUniti.

Enerr is a Polish company - very good wires too, competitively priced.

Posted on: 10 January 2017 by count.d

I use Monster MV2A aerial cable, Monster Black Platinum HDMI cables and Furtech G320 Ag mains cable. All very good quality, make perfect solid long term connection and subtle difference to the picture/sound quality. It's the combination of using all these cables that makes a difference i.e. they're not interring with each other, nor picking up interference.

The mains cable from my LG old has a wired in mains cable, which I haven't got round to cutting the plug off and fitting a MK or Crabtree plug.

Posted on: 10 January 2017 by Finkfan

I like the Furutech cables. They look well made and seem to work well. Their plugs are superb quality. I did wonder if that level of cable would be an overkill for a tv and skyhd box, but maybe this is the price point I need to look at to get a good result. 

Posted on: 11 January 2017 by TOBYJUG

I use Nordost where I can. Purple flare fig 8 on the skybox and blue heaven digital 75 ohm and adapter to NDac with the new Heimdall 2 uhd hdmi. Our new Sony 4K screen has a captive mains cable but plasma before I used the excellent Van Den Hul The Mainstream.

Posted on: 11 January 2017 by Finkfan

What improvements did u notice with the Purple flare on the sky box [@mention:31133010812284286] ? 

Posted on: 11 January 2017 by TOBYJUG

Quite a bit.   Example when scrolling through Tv Guide, when last watched channel was non hd the resolution was ropey compared to when last watched channel was hd - this not so noticeable with the Purple flare. Also some content with heavy contrast between light and dark - take the average scene from Game of Thrones. With stock cable there was some flutter in the shadows, which again with the Flare is less noticeable with more resolution. Also of course the audio sounds more of a piece.

cheers.

Great result [@mention:31133010812284286]. I'll have to try one on my sky box and maybe on my Tv too. 

Posted on: 11 January 2017 by Adam Zielinski
Finkfan posted:

on my Tv too. 

Forgot to mention - upgrading a TV power supply lead is definitely a good idea. Been doing this for years.

Contrary to Naim, AV equipment seems to benefit from using filtered power distribution blocks - I currently use one of Enerr products.

Thanks Adam. I have tried a filtered mains block before with little effect. Maybe I need to try a better one and a better Tv power cable at the same time. 

Anyone tried a dc blocker on sky box or Tv? 

Posted on: 11 January 2017 by Mike-B
Finkfan posted:

Anyone tried a dc blocker on sky box or Tv? 

I doubt a DC filter will do much if anything because Sky boxes & TV's are all powered by SMPS's & these are not so affected by asymmetric wave forms as are transformers.

Thanks [@mention:1566878603907884]

Posted on: 11 January 2017 by pete T15
Finkfan posted:

I like the Furutech cables. They look well made and seem to work well. Their plugs are superb quality. I did wonder if that level of cable would be an overkill for a tv and skyhd box, but maybe this is the price point I need to look at to get a good result. 

You've probably seen it but MCRU  have a reasonably priced cable for a Sky box , I've often wondered myself ...

Posted on: 11 January 2017 by james n

I'm sure a chap called Russ (based in Kendal) will happily take your money for these sort of 'tweaks' - i think he even does upgraded sky boxes. 

pete T15 posted:
Finkfan posted:

You've probably seen it but MCRU  have a reasonably priced cable for a Sky box , I've often wondered myself ...

Yeah there are a few figure 8 cables available from  MCRU. Also alternatives from RA and Mark Grant. It's a shame it's so hard to find any reviews on this subject. 

james n posted:

I'm sure a chap called Russ (based in Kendal) will happily take your money for these sort of 'tweaks' - i think he even does upgraded sky boxes. 

Yeah I've seen that box 'upgrade' offer. Not sure about that.