Which 4K TV?

Posted by: nickpeacock on 30 January 2017

Recent purchase of Oppo 203 and flat move in two weeks' time might justify upgrade to 4K TV. House-warming present to self if you will...

Richer Sounds told me current 4K models may come down in price between now and April, when new models and price increases are expected.

So, the question is - which TV?

(Looking at 40" max - I really baulk at oversized models...)

Posted on: 30 January 2017 by Finkfan

I have recently had a look at 4K TVs from Panasonic and Samsung. Whilst I felt the way Panasonic gave the most accurate picture I felt the Samsung sets had better motion control, very smooth. Ive always had Panasonic TVs and still use a 42" plasma of theirs. I find led TVs a bit in your face by comparison. But maybe with professional calibration this would be reduced. 

Posted on: 30 January 2017 by Ravenswood10

I went for one of the latest top specification LG OLEDs and had it professionally calibrated. Picture is sublime but at 55 inches could be too big for you. I thought that at first too but the screen is so thin that it's hardly opressive. In fact it's a lot less dominating than an old Sony 28 inch widescreen CRT I had many moons ago. Panasonic and Sony 2017 ranges could be worth a look too over the coming months.

How much was the calibration [@mention:43803620640512181]? 

Posted on: 30 January 2017 by Don Atkinson

The recommendations last summer, when I was considering replacing my Pioneer Kuro included

• LG OLED 65E6V
  • LG OLED 55B6V
  • Samsung 4k Quantum Dot HDR
  • Panasonic 902

I still have my Pioneer, but one day.....

Finkfan posted:

How much was the calibration [@mention:43803620640512181]? 

Calibration was £250 from a certified ISF calibrator. He calibrated my Pioneer Kuro and Panasonic Plasmas before. This might seem expensive but you're looking at 3 hours work and a stunning end result. The LG has two ISF settings which are a start but they need work to optimise the white balance and remove a slight green tinge from flesh tones otherwise some faces can look like the morning after the night before. I can send you the details.

When I get my next tv I'll be having it calibrated. I think it's money well spent to get a great picture. Trying to get the white balance right by eye is impossible! My Panasonic gt50 looked fantastic out of the box though 

Details would be great [@mention:43803620640512181]. Thanks 

The good news is that the calibration is locked so little fingers can screw things up

http://www.isftvcalibration.co.uk/

Thanks [@mention:43803620640512181]

Posted on: 30 January 2017 by TOBYJUG

Our last screen was a 32 Panasonic plasma on a wall mounted moveable job positioned near a corner in a small room. New Sony 60 4K instead almost seems smaller due to thinner chassis and bezel.   Try and be more open minded regarding size v distance given out from manufacturers a few years ago. 

I'll be 2.5m from my new screen, so I'm thinking 46" at least 

Posted on: 30 January 2017 by fatcat
TOBYJUG posted:

Our last screen was a 32 Panasonic plasma on a wall mounted moveable job positioned near a corner in a small room. New Sony 60 4K instead almost seems smaller due to thinner chassis and bezel.   Try and be more open minded regarding size v distance given out from manufacturers a few years ago. 

I'd suggest it looks smaller because you're probably sitting further away from it.

Posted on: 30 January 2017 by tonym
Don Atkinson posted:

The recommendations last summer, when I was considering replacing my Pioneer Kuro included

• LG OLED 65E6V
  • LG OLED 55B6V
  • Panasonic 902

After much research and comparison I (or rather, we) went for a 65" Samsung 9500 4K HDR set to replace our Panasonic plasma. I was originally convinced we'd be getting one of the OLED sets but to our eyes the Samsung had the better picture. 

Posted on: 30 January 2017 by TOBYJUG
fatcat posted:
TOBYJUG posted:

I'd suggest it looks smaller because you're probably sitting further away from it.

No the same distance.

Posted on: 30 January 2017 by IanG

I've just taken delivery of a Sony 65" XD9305 and it is stunning. We watched Life Of Pi on 4K Blu Ray on Saturday and the picture was nothing short of stunning.

Ive routed my Sky Q box via the HDMI in of my OPPO 203 so everything is upscaled to 4K. Happy days.

I was going to get a 55" LG OLED but I couldn't resist the extra screen size for just £100 more. Side by side in the shop I could see little difference between them.

I'll consider getting it professionally calibrated in due course but for now I've got day, night and HDR settings recommended by AV Forums.

tonym posted:
Don Atkinson posted:

• LG OLED 65E6V
  • LG OLED 55B6V
  • Panasonic 902

After much research and comparison I (or rather, we) went for a 65" Samsung 9500 4K HDR set to replace our Panasonic plasma. I was originally convinced we'd be getting one of the OLED sets but to our eyes the Samsung had the better picture. 

Is that a curved screen? 

Posted on: 30 January 2017 by tonym

Yes, it's got a curved screen. Pretty pointless as far as I can see, but there wasn't the option for a flat screen.

I went for a flat screen as we watch off axis quite often - something the OLEDs excel at.

Mine will be mounted on the wall and I'll be sat looking straight on at the screen. I guess flat or curved will be fine, although my preference would be flat. What are the pros and cons of curved?

Posted on: 30 January 2017 by fatcat

Nick

You might struggle to find a top quality screen at 40” or below. The state of the art screens are usually reserved for the larger TV’s.

Having said that Sony do a 43” XD8 with a Triluminos screen. Four years ago the Sony W905 HD with Triluminos screen was their flagship TV, I certainly won’t be swapping it for a 4K model any time soon. Superb picture quality, with top notch upscaling capabilities.

Posted on: 30 January 2017 by Foot tapper

Samsung does a 49KS8000 which is a 49", flat screen HDR TV, essentially the best 49" flat screen that they make.  This is what I plan to pair with an Oppo 203 for my entry into the world of 4K HDR TV.

The LG OLED TVs are also excellent but currently start at 55", so are too large for the space that we have.

Hope this helps, FT

Posted on: 30 January 2017 by Don Atkinson
tonym posted:
Don Atkinson posted:

• LG OLED 65E6V
  • LG OLED 55B6V
  • Panasonic 902

Hi Tony,

Yes, the Samsung 4K Quantum Dot HDR model mentioned above was copied from your post in the Kuro Replacement thread. You might have subsequently mentioned the size and model number, but in my haste to compile the list above, I must have missed it, apologies.

Posted on: 30 January 2017 by Adam Zielinski
Finkfan posted:

When I get my next tv I'll be having it calibrated. I think it's money well spent to get a great picture. Trying to get the white balance right by eye is impossible! My Panasonic gt50 looked fantastic out of the box though 

Professional calibration takes around 3 hours or so. Cost in Poland was approximately Eur 150 for a 60" Panasonic reference plasma. Sticking with this one as there are no plans for commercial 4K broadcats here.

Posted on: 31 January 2017 by count.d

I had one of the last Pioneer plasmas and never saw anything as good as it until recently, when I bought a LG oled55b6v. I looked at the last (and best) plasma Panasonic 55" they made, nearly bought it, but decided not to. The 55" was bigger than my Pioneer, but the picture was far from good enough. Usual grainy, poor blacks, flat and not sharp.

My LGoled55b6v is absolutely superb. The best picture I've ever seen. The 100% black takes a little getting used to, as I've never experienced an image this rich. I can't help but notice the cinemas's flaws now. The oled image is very sharp, rich but beautifully graduated tones, especially in faces. Virtually unlimited settings to perfect the balances, but surprisingly enough, it wasn't that far out from the manufacture calibration. A few tweeks to "expert dark room" mode.

Professional calibration? Hmmm, that's like saying I've booked myself a professional photographer, so the pics are going to great, right? No. I've read a lot about tv calibration on the internet and I don't agree with a fair amount of what's written and I've seen calibrated tvs and seen obvious flaws in those.