Can you have too much of a good thing?

Posted by: Mr Underhill on 23 March 2017

Just bought my third sub.

1. BK XLS400DF Central Front
Hi - to my Focal 1008be II. Fast enough to work REALLY well with them.
Lo - Yes
Phase: 0

2. MJ Acoustics Pro 50 II Rear Corner (ish)
Hi - To rear Focal Domes
Lo - Yes
Phase: 180

NEW
3. MJ Acoustics Pro 50 II Front Corner (Diametrically opposite No 2)
Hi - To Audio Physic Centre
Lo - No
Phase: 0

This allows me to run with all my speakers set to LARGE on the Oppo 105.

Certainly LOADS the room. Have had to re-arrange the ornaments for certain bass heavy soundtracks, such as Lucy.

For those of you who know him ......I blame Mike!

M

Posted on: 23 March 2017 by Mike1380

Mwuhahahahahaha...

One more, then you can run the current ones as  speaker level only, and dedicate one sub to pure LFE......

Posted on: 23 March 2017 by Mr Underhill

And have a small cabinet in the corner of the room .......but I've got no corners left!

Posted on: 23 March 2017 by james n

You're not trying hard enough Mr Underhill. A real enthusiast would have built a horn loaded sub under the floor 

Posted on: 23 March 2017 by count.d

Mr. Underhill, where did you buy the MJ Acoustics from? They make great subs and I was looking to buy another recently, but they seemed to have become a bit elusive. I rang one of the the places that listed them and they sounded a bit vague  about when the last time they sold one.

MJ Acoustics website seems very dated and nothing seems to have changed for years.

A well known auction site for one, and a well known AV forum for the other.

Seem pretty robust little boxes.

M

Posted on: 23 March 2017 by Eloise

Now you need a second BK400 so you can have dedicated left, centre and right subs as well as a shared one for the two rears...

Posted on: 23 March 2017 by count.d

Yes they've very robust. I've had the Reference 100 for 10 years connected to my tv, but was looking for another. Never had a problem with mine and the driver is still in perfect condition after daily use. They have an old school over engineered build quality that makes me want another, instead of researching a more modern alternative.

Eloise posted:

Now you need a second BK400 so you can have dedicated left, centre and right subs as well as a shared one for the two rears...

If only I had the space I would, great sub at an amazing price. But the MJs are not at all tardy.

count.d posted:

Yes they've very robust. I've had the Reference 100 for 10 years connected to my tv, but was looking for another. Never had a problem with mine and the driver is still in perfect condition after daily use. They have an old school over engineered build quality that makes me want another, instead of researching a more modern alternative.

Mike uses a brace of Reference 200s, but they seem to be like Rocking Horse manure.

Posted on: 14 April 2017 by count.d

I rang MJ Acoustics and they were extremely helpful. I now have a new MK3 Reference 100 in Walnut connected to my tv. They do make great products. Funny thing is, they export most of their line to China, whilst us Brits import the cheap stuff from China.

The other bonus is, I bought an 8m Audioquest Golden Gate cable from Future Shop for this sub for £119, but as it turned out they didn't have it in stock. They rang back and upgraded it to the Big Sur for free (this is £280). 

Some very good customer service this week.