Powering a centre speaker

Posted by: Oldgit99 on 05 June 2017

Hi all

I am looking for some advice, I have an oppo BDP and a Unitiqute 2, the oppo has a 7.1 output capability and at present I am just using the the left and right outputs into the qute. I am think of adding a centre and was thinking about using a Nap100 to power it. Now as the oppo has understandably only one phono out for the centre how do I connect it up to the Nap100? Do I buy a Y splitter and plug that into the single centre output and  then plug the other two ends of the Y splitter into the left and right inputs of the Nap 100. Or is there a better way. Thanks

Posted on: 05 June 2017 by Slim68

Hi, I assume you have the L&R outputs connected to a stereo? If so I believe you won't be able to just connect the nap100 as there will not be a volume control.

it would help if you put your full system info on your profile.

ATB, Simon.

Posted on: 05 June 2017 by Eloise

Which Oppo?  The later (10x and 20x) models have a volume control built in, the earlier ones didn't.

if you have the later models, then set the Oppo to use its own volume control and set the analogue input of your UnitiQute to fixed volume.  You can then connect one channel from the Oppo to a NAP100 to power a centre.  

Alternatively if you are planning to add a pair of rear speakers too, see if you can find a second hand NAP V175 which is a 3 channel amplifier (and do the same).

Posted on: 05 June 2017 by Oldgit99

Hi folks, thanks for the replies.

Currently my system consists of an Oppo BDP101CI, a short lived but excellent model from last year.

A unitiqute2 and a pair of ATC7 speakers.  I intend to as suggested configure the analogue input to fixed and use the volume control facility on the Oppo. So what I still not clear on is, do I take the single centre channel phono output from the Oppo and just use say the right input on the Nap 100 and only connect to the centre speaker using the right output of the Nap100. Will I damage the amp doing this or will using a Y splitter on the oppo centre to feed both input channels on the Nap 100 and then bi-wire the centre be better.

Cheers

Posted on: 06 June 2017 by Eloise
Oldgit99 posted:

Will I damage the amp doing this or will using a Y splitter on the oppo centre to feed both input channels on the Nap 100 and then bi-wire the centre be better.

You won't damage the amp.  As for will the Y-splitter and bi-amping the centre be better ... you will have to try with your speaker as all react differently (IMO).

Posted on: 11 June 2017 by trans

Hello,

I've been using a Nap 100 with one channel powering my centre speaker for a while and without any issues.

I agree that bi-amping the speaker would be interesting to try if supported. I'd like to read your observations if you do!

Regards,

db 

Posted on: 11 June 2017 by Oldgit99

Thanks for your input, if I do go down the road of buying a centre speaker I will try both options and report back.

Thanks again everybody who replied.