AV2 sub and center channel dead?

Posted by: Fleisch on 14 June 2017

Dear forum members

My beloved AV2 is acting up lately - it stopped outputting any signals via sub/center channel (contraire to the last nine years). The main channels have no problem. No rears as I'm running it in a 3.1 configuration. What I have tried so far:

- n-SUB and n-CENT work properly (tested)

- all cables work properly (tested)

- Reset according to manual, reentering the speaker information: no test tone output via sub and center

- Hard power down, leaving it unplugged overnight - no luck

- Searched this forum, similar problems seem to predate the current firmware

Naim AV2 Firmware:
AVC0107 (naim PIC revision)
F658 (control DSP revision)

Maybe you guys have a hint or two for me how to bring my AV2 back to order - thank you! Richard, you even mentioned in one thread in 2013 that [..] I'll try to dig out my old AV2 troubleshooting documents and see if there's anything there to help [..] - I'm hoping for it

I already talked to my dealer and he is working on it - I just thought I give the universal wisdom of this great forum a try...

Best regards

Posted on: 14 June 2017 by Ardbeg10y

Hi, I've an AV2 too but am no expert on the configuration. Could it be that your source (tv / computer / dvd player etc ... ) got an update and is sending a signal which cannot be digested by the AV2? I remember that I did send a DTS HD signal, and it gave stereo instead since it does not understand DTS HD.

I'm happy with my AV2: use it with a Nait 5 for AV purposes.

Posted on: 14 June 2017 by Eloise
Ardbeg10y posted:

Hi, I've an AV2 too but am no expert on the configuration. Could it be that your source (tv / computer / dvd player etc ... ) got an update and is sending a signal which cannot be digested by the AV2? I remember that I did send a DTS HD signal, and it gave stereo instead since it does not understand DTS HD.

Surely in that case the test tones would still work?

Posted on: 14 June 2017 by Fleisch
Ardbeg10y posted:

Two things speak against it: The AV2 shows the used sound format correctly on its front display; and as Eloise mentioned the AV2 behaves like that in the initial setup when turning test tones on and switching through the configured speakers (left - center - right - sub).

Posted on: 15 June 2017 by Ardbeg10y

You're both right. The test tones ruled pretty much out my question. No further suggestions from my side.

Posted on: 15 June 2017 by Fleisch

[@mention:1566878603942595] Do you have any suggestions regarding my "aging" AV2? Any hints are highly appreciated!

Posted on: 15 June 2017 by Richard Dane

Fleish,

does the centre channel work in analogue pass-through?  If so then it sounds like the DSP board may have a problem. I don't know whether these can still be repaired or replaced by Naim.  It's probably worth getting in touch with them and finding out.

Posted on: 15 June 2017 by Fleisch

Richard, no - the center does not work in analogue pass-through. What could that mean? Thank you.

Posted on: 28 June 2017 by Richard Dane

Fleisch, apologies for delay in getting back to you.  Are you feeding with an analogue multichannel signal when trying the analogue pass through?  - I'm trying to establish if it's a fault with the analogue or digital (DSP) section.

Posted on: 28 June 2017 by Fleisch

Richard - no problem. I configured VI1 and VI2 as multichannel input and fed an analogue signal to the appropriate channels. Though it was no multichannel source, the signal was audible when feeding it via multi-cinch to DIN cable to the front left and right channel. Changing the cinch connector (at the source end) for the sub/centre channel on the AV2, the signal was gone.

Another bit that I noticed when testing the unit was that when I added the centre speaker to the configuration, the output level of the main speaker (SBLs) were immediately adjusted to a slightly lower level and vice versa.

I brought the AV2 to my dealer this morning - still, I will happily forward any suggestion you might have.

Posted on: 28 June 2017 by Richard Dane

Thanks Fleisch.  Sorry I can't really add anything useful.  Best left for a tech to look into what the problem might be.

Posted on: 29 June 2017 by Fleisch

Nevertheless, thank you for your input, Richard. I will get back to the forum with the results in case someone else will face the same problem as I do right now.

Posted on: 11 August 2017 by Fleisch

It's official now - my beloved AV2 is "half-dead". Nothing could be done to resurrect the center and the sub channels. It will continue to serve as stereo preamp with a DAC capabilities in my second system...

Posted on: 11 August 2017 by Super

Why can't it be fixed ? Is it because they can't get certain parts for it, or is just not worth the cost to repair an old AV Processor ?

Posted on: 12 August 2017 by Fleisch

The information I got was that there were no parts available anymore. Too bad, but it's probably time to move on...

Posted on: 12 August 2017 by Super

I find hard to believe that electronic components are hard to get hold of anymore. Anyway, i have an AV2 and (touch wood) it's still works fine. If you do replace it it would be interesting to know what you would replace it with.

Well, the AV2 has been discontinued in 2010 and I am wondering how many Naim has sold overall. So there are probably not much incentives for Naim to keep replacement parts around. I could still buy a preloved one for EUR 800 to 1'000. But as it stands right now I will audition an Linn Majik DSM/3 to reduce box count, to have HDMI inputs, to use Space Optimization and to go Exakt eventually (which itself is very tempting). The Majik only understands (Multi-channel) PCM, so the decoding needs to be done by the sources. So, to be fair, not a full replacement for the AV2...

Posted on: 12 August 2017 by Simon Frequency

Hi [@mention:1566878604031698],

Sorry to hear your AV2 is half dead, they are a great bit of kit.

Some times they come up on the internet auction sites, and there are some for sale by Naim dealers who sell 'pre-loved' kit. Might be worth a look to see if there is anything in your budget range.

Simon

Simon, that still is an option. As mentioned above, one could get a preloved AV2 for around EUR 800 to 1'000. But the next step is to audition an Linn Majik DSM. I am curious to hear what it sounds like with my SBLs and the n-SUB...

Posted on: 03 September 2017 by Ardbeg10y

I think I bought an AV2 for a bit over Euro 400, including all the cables and box. Besides a Nap 100, I can't think of any Naim product having higher value for money.

Posted on: 04 September 2017 by Fleisch

ARDBEG10Y, that's a decent deal! And you are right regarding the value for money - you can't beat that.

But I moved on: after auditioning I bought a Linn Majik DSM/3. Doesn't do multichannel decoding (so I downsized to 2.1 for now) but has all the other bells and whistles I wanted.