New TV audio output.

Posted by: Mike1951 on 19 July 2017

Hello Everybodypeeps.

I'm about to purchase an enormo Samsung curved-screen telly. It's got an "optical" audio out.

Am I right in thinking that the appropriate cable will plug into the back of my NDX5s digital input for TV audio from thence to the Preamp?

Posted on: 19 July 2017 by David Hendon

Yes. You may need to adjust the TV in settings to output the right digital format, "PCM" was the way it was described on one TV I played with recently but "digital stereo" or similar, not Dolby anything or surround sound....

best

David

Posted on: 19 July 2017 by Mike1951

Happy happy joy joy.

Posted on: 19 July 2017 by Huge

Didn't work from my Toshiba TV (ironic because they invented the Toslink standard!), but it does work on the Blue-Ray player (Sony) and the PVR (Huuwei).

Posted on: 19 July 2017 by David Hendon

Works fine on my Sony TV, with good lip sync too....

Posted on: 20 July 2017 by Eloise

A curved telly ... really?  Be sure you want a curved telly and you're not just falling for gimmicks: living with one is different than falling for one in the store - remember you will be viewing at home from a much greater distance than you probably see it in the store.

(Sorry off topic)

Posted on: 20 July 2017 by Gavin B

Is there a maximum length for an optical cable to make this kind of connection? I'd need one 5-7m to connect my TV to my DAC.

Posted on: 20 July 2017 by Eloise

5m is the recommended length, up to 10 can work but are variable reliability.

Posted on: 20 July 2017 by Huge

I use 10m no problem, simple plastic step index fibre.

Posted on: 20 July 2017 by David Hendon

Yes I use 10m no problem as well. Two 5m lengths with a simple coupler in the middle.

best

David

Posted on: 20 July 2017 by Brubacca

Make sure the TV can do 2Ch PCM output. My Panasonic TV only does Dolby Digital so will not work with Naim DACs (I use a Qute). Even if I set to 2Ch it does 2 Channel Dolby Digital. 

Posted on: 20 July 2017 by tonym

I've got an enormo (65") curved screen Samsung TV & the optical output works just fine. Can't remember exactly how I initially set it up but it's all very straightforward.

Posted on: 20 July 2017 by ChrisSU

I've found some optical cables to have 'plugs' of variable fit, some tight, others loose and floppy with a tendency to fall out. Worth getting one from a seller who accepts returns in case you get one that's a poor fit. I'm currently using one from Flashback which fits well and seems to be of decent quality - it's glass fibre as opposed to POF, and very stiff, kind of a NACA5 of optical cables.

Posted on: 21 July 2017 by steve95775
Brubacca posted:

Make sure the TV can do 2Ch PCM output. My Panasonic TV only does Dolby Digital so will not work with Naim DACs (I use a Qute). Even if I set to 2Ch it does 2 Channel Dolby Digital. 

You can get either HDMI to toslink converters or HDMI to STEREO only converters. I have a Panasonic also going into my NAC N172, and on Netflix get the Dolby "chatter", even when I select stereo PCM on the TV and Stereo on the Netflix options. Tried one of the HDMI converters/adaptors and it worked! Cost me $89 here in Perth Australia

Posted on: 21 July 2017 by Simon-in-Suffolk
David Hendon posted:

Indeed it works well with my LG TV too (optical into my NDX)... with regard to the point on lip sync on many quality modern TVs it's best to get the PCM SPDIF stream from the TV itself as the TV will adjust the delay in the sound to suit the video processing thereby providing the possibility of good AV synchronisation... 

Posted on: 21 July 2017 by David Hendon
Simon-in-Suffolk posted:
David Hendon posted:

Indeed it works well with my LG TV too (optical into my NDX)... with regard to the point on lip sync on many quality modern TVs it's best to get the PCM SPDIF stream from the TV itself as the TV will adjust the delay in the sound to suit the video processing thereby providing the possibility of good AV synchronisation... 

Yes indeed. That is also my experience. Taking the feed from the sky box or DVD gives terrible lip sync with my Sony but taking it from the TV itself is fine.

best

David

Posted on: 22 July 2017 by nickpeacock

My lip sync issues from LG were improved by running optical from the tv straight into my hugo tt, which is better than it was when into my ndx...

Posted on: 22 July 2017 by winkyincanada
Simon-in-Suffolk posted:
David Hendon posted:

Yep, that fits with our experience.

Posted on: 22 July 2017 by Tamarin

TV video processing always takes longer than TV audio processing. Some TVs have a lip sync adjustment setting, but others only have a built-in, non-adjustable delay (like my Panasonic Plasma). The hard-coded delay on my Panasonic toslink output was okay with a Sonos Playbar (who's DSP processing contributes to the audio delay, which helped in my case). At least, I never noticed a problem. But when I swapped out the Playbar for a UQ2, I had to add a Felston DD740 digital delay box (to the tune of an extra 100ms of delay).