Dolby Atmos

Posted by: tonym on 23 August 2017

Has anyone else gone for this I wonder? I've owned a Denon AV receiver that's Atmos-equipped for a while, so I thought - why not utilise it properly? Just an extra four discreet ceiling speakers, the same colour as the emulsion so hardly visible at all (these thoughts shared with SWMBO before proceeding).

I planned how to run the cabling & where to position the speakers so a set of Monitor Audio speakers were ordered up, all to coincide for when SWMBO was away for a couple of days to avoid any unpleasantness. Alas, having cut four bloody great holes in our ceiling & offered the speakers up I realised they were too deep. Oh gosh! Further reassurances to SWMBO that the large holes would shortly be indiscernible, I awaited the shallower KEF replacements. A couple of days later these arrived, and very nice they are too - dead easy to install & they sit almost flush with the ceiling. The white grilles are held by magnets & really do blend in very well, even SWMBO was mollified.

So, I now run a 7.1.4 speaker system, and I must say, it sounds wonderful, even with 7.1/5.1 material. Roger Water’s live “The Wall”concert on BluRay has a Dolby Atmos soundtrack & it’s staggeringly good. Most of my 4K BluRays are also Atmos & the enveloping effect of this sound format is very effective.

I do appreciate that accommodating twelve wired speakers is a considerable challenge and not feasible for many folks, but if you can find ways of sneaking them in I can heartily recommend the end result.

Posted on: 24 August 2017 by Foot tapper

My goodness Tony, I've only just bought a decent telly, while you have to make do with a 12 speaker system!  The very idea sounds wonderful.  Mind you, we keep being shocked at  just how good a 4K HDR picture can be.

Best regards, FT

Posted on: 24 August 2017 by Simon-in-Suffolk

FT, a 4K screen can be really good can't it... what I have always found effective on TVs, and my 4K OLED TV is no exception is calibration.. and arguably the bigger, higher definition and wider the colour gamut of the  display the more potential benefit. I find things like gamma colour accuracy, colours in low light, shadow detail, skin tones etc take a step forward in accuracy and make the picture look more real and absorbing  and less processed.. if the media is accurate and permits of course... and just like audio however  we are also reliant on the master... and the video equivalent of the loudness wars is pushed contrast and clipped colours. But if you haven't perhaps do consider calibration... it should cost you no more than 300 to 350 pounds if you hire a pro.

Posted on: 25 August 2017 by Eloise

[@mention:1566878603998391] do you have a projector or "just" a 4K TV?

Posted on: 25 August 2017 by tonym

Hi Eloise, just a moudy old 4K TV I'm afraid. I used a projector for many years, but they're pretty inconvenient to use for normal TV watching.

Posted on: 25 August 2017 by Peter1480

10:2:2, Mission/AE, Marantz Atmos, Panasonic HD Bluray, LG OLED 3D

Just provide the popcorn