Meridian S-VHS to US TV HDMI

Posted by: Skip on 04 September 2017

I have a wonderful, lightly used, Meridian F80 which I would be using to play DVD's except my TV has only HDMI inputs.  The Meridian has an S-VHS out which I used to excellent effect with a Nordost S-VHS cable into a Sony TV at one time.    No more.  That TV bit the dust.   Is there an adapter or device that could make playing the Meridian DVD player a possibility?

Thanks for the help.  I am all Naim except for the stray Meridian piece.

Posted on: 04 September 2017 by badknees51

You need an S-Video to HDMI Scaler. I use one to watch old video tapes on a JVC S-VHS deck. Scalers are not inexpensive, mine cost over $200. Keep in mind, maximum resolution for s-video is 480p and 576i, so even if you scale up to HDTV display resolutions, you're still watching an s-video picture.

Posted on: 05 September 2017 by Richard Dane

Skip, frankly you'd be much better off with even a very basic DVD/Blu-ray player.  A friend recently bought a tiny Sony unit and it gives a remarkably good picture considering the size and low cost.

Posted on: 05 September 2017 by Skip

Thanks, Richard.  Will the newer unit play both DVD and Blu Ray?

Posted on: 05 September 2017 by NickSeattle
Skip posted:

Thanks, Richard.  Will the newer unit play both DVD and Blu Ray?

Never heard of a BRD player that would not play DVD, and CD, as well -- and SACD, probably.

Posted on: 05 September 2017 by Richard Dane

Skip, yes I think any blu-ray player also plays DVDs as well - in fact, most likely very well.