Soundbar advice

Posted by: Bodger on 05 October 2017

All, just had a quick search for this subject and came up blank. So the question stands, what sound bars are folks using and recommending these days.

I used to use an AV amp and external speakers but no longer due to the faff. I recently bought an LP OLED HDR 65 incher - the one with the built in soundbar at the bottom. It really is not up to the task. Hence the question, what is better and out there now.

The last "bar" I had was a Samsung (with Samsung tv) which also had a small sub. This was sufficient. I am looking for something similar and not looking for that immersive cinematic experience. Just to hear better in a pretty large room. Budget less than a grand. Input appreciated.

Dave 

Posted on: 05 October 2017 by tonym

If you've no easy way of utilising your stereo for the TV's audio output, then looking at "Which?" recommendations for soundbars their best buy is a Samsung HW-K850. It does come with a separate active subwoofer, but I suspect if you want best sound then this arrangement's more likely to produce superior results. For a soundbar without sub., their recommendation's a Sonos Playbar.

Posted on: 05 October 2017 by Bodger

Tony, thanks, that should be enough to get me started. No hifi upgraditis at the moment so this project will have to do.

Dave

Posted on: 05 October 2017 by Pcd

By coincidence I had a new Samsung TV delivered on Monday plus a Samsung HWMS750 Soundbar from John Lewis

The Soundbar attracted a special package price which made it only a few quid more than the lesser model.

As Bodger I do not want the full Cinematic experience just an improvement  on the TV sound and I must admit I am really impressed with this Soundbar. A separate wireless subwoofer can be added if required. 

The connection options ae pretty good at the moment I am using the wireless option which means I can use the TV optical out to the NDX for the times I listen to music programmes through the main system.

Posted on: 05 October 2017 by Emre

If your are looking for Atmos check the new Sony one..

Posted on: 05 October 2017 by dave marshall

Q Acoustics Q TV 2.

Hi Bodger,

I use one of these, and have recommended them previously here.

It clamps to the rear of the tv, using the set's wall mount fixings, and consists of 8 BMR drivers plus an amp/subwoofer.

A totally fuss free solution, virtually invisible, and .......... it sounds great, particularly when using the tv's optical out connection.

Not sure whether it's still a current model, but there's plenty of them out there on The River and Fleabay.

Posted on: 06 October 2017 by Bodger

Thanks all. Some good ideas here and just the right side of low spec that I was interested in.

PCD: I saw that on the Samsung website.Might work for me but that last Samsung bar I had came with a sub. This was a pretty good combo. So might go fro this plus sub.

Emre: I have not looked at Sony yet. The new tv has Atmos but I don't know what that is so it is not a priority for me at least. I am trying to avoid getting sidetracked by too much tech in such a simple search.

Dave M: my tv is on a stand/base so I have no such wall mount to fit these to.

Dave

Posted on: 06 October 2017 by Pcd
Bodger posted:

Thanks all. Some good ideas here and just the right side of low spec that I was interested in.

PCD: I saw that on the Samsung website.Might work for me but that last Samsung bar I had came with a sub. This was a pretty good combo. So might go fro this plus sub.

Emre: I have not looked at Sony yet. The new tv has Atmos but I don't know what that is so it is not a priority for me at least. I am trying to avoid getting sidetracked by too much tech in such a simple search.

Dave M: my tv is on a stand/base so I have no such wall mount to fit these to.

Dave

Bodger, if you are tempted by the Samsung try it first without the sub I watched a film last night and changed the setting to Movie Mode very good indeed I was pleasantly surprised.

Posted on: 20 October 2017 by Duncan Mann

Both 

tonym posted:

If you've no easy way of utilising your stereo for the TV's audio output, then looking at "Which?" recommendations for soundbars their best buy is a Samsung HW-K850. It does come with a separate active subwoofer, but I suspect if you want best sound then this arrangement's more likely to produce superior results. For a soundbar without sub., their recommendation's a Sonos Playbar.

I have the Sonos Playbar, and it's very good, in terms of creating an immersive effect - especially when teamed up with a couple of Play 1's for the rear channels - should (just) come into your £1000 budget. Even better when used with a Sonos sub - but that's not an inexpensive option.

Only issue with the Sonos Playbar (and indeed the newer Playbase) is that they only interface with an optical SP/DIF (no HDMI support) - this can be tricky as not all TVs pass Dolby Digital (the only surround format Sonos support) from their optical output - many only pass stereo PCM. If you're interested, Google "Sonos Home Cinema and Television Recommendations". I see that LG do generally tend to support Sonos Dolby Digital interface via optical out, but check it out with a dealer before you buy! Alternatively, you can invest in an HDMI switch for a relatively small sum.

I did look at other Soundbars, but went with Sonos as it fits in with other Sonos products I have around the house. 

Posted on: 20 October 2017 by Ravenswood10

I’ve used a Sonos Playbar for a while and works well with my New LG OLED although the sound from the LG is considerably better than the Panasonic plasma it replaced. Sonos customer service is also excellent. I managed to snap the door to the optical socket on mine and  out of warrantee. Sonos sent me a brand new Playbar in exchange for my old one for a modest replacement fee. Can’t say fairer than that. There’s also the Sky-Devialet sound box/bar which seems attractive for Sky customers although I think it needs to sit on a shelf under the TV. The latest Playbar has a room optimisation feature too.