Covers, in the reverse, which one is better?

Posted by: notnaim man on 22 October 2017

As an opposite to my other post. My Way is a song that I don't particularly enjoy, whichever rendition is played. Then there are some songs are bettered, for me Joe Cocker was a singer who could bring out the best in a song. The entire album Sheffield Steel stands out.

Way above this, for me, is his version of With a Little Help From My Friends.

What would be anyone else's suggestion?

Posted on: 23 October 2017 by joerand

Is there anyone who prefers Joni Mitchell's original of "Woodstock" to CSN&Y's cover? Not me.

Posted on: 23 October 2017 by ChrisSU
notnaim man posted:

My Way is a song that I don't particularly enjoy, whichever rendition is played.

Anything sung by Sinatra makes me cringe, and I'd prefer more or less any cover of his hits to the original (in this case, with the exception of the Elvis version, he makes me cringe too!) I'd rather listen to the Pistols ripping the **** out of it....or Nina Simone's version, nobody can deny that she did everything 'her way.'

Posted on: 23 October 2017 by Christopher_M

I've been taken with Clapton's cover of Dylan's I Dreamed I Saw St Augustine.

Posted on: 23 October 2017 by Eoink

It's probably a bit obvious, but Hendrix's version of All Along The Watchtower is an amazing thing, I love the Dylan, but Jimi's version is almost a totally different song.

Posted on: 23 October 2017 by Dozey

John Cale's Heartbreak Hotel.

Posted on: 23 October 2017 by winkyincanada
joerand posted:

Is there anyone who prefers Joni Mitchell's original of "Woodstock" to CSN&Y's cover? Not me.

Me neither, and I'm a big Joni fan.

In the opposite direction, no-one has ever done a cover of Helpless better than the the original on Deja Vu. Neil's "Last Waltz" version is special, too, but not really a cover. Joni's Coyote on the same record is also spectacular - and no-one has ever covered that at all (that I am aware of - someone here will prove me wrong).

Posted on: 23 October 2017 by kevin J Carden

John Mayer's cover of XO for me trumps Beyonce's . Nothing wrong with the original, but the scaled back version works better for me. A real favourite track in fact. 

Posted on: 24 October 2017 by ChrisSU

Last year I went through a bit of an Americana/Blues/female vocals discovery phase, and discovered a genre where covers are pretty widespread, and not only from within the same genre. (There was an Americana thread on here a while back which had some good recommendations.) I made a little playlist of some that tickled my fancy - not always to be taken seriously - but in the unlikely event that anyone is interested, here it is. Despite my earlier slating of Sinatra and Elvis, there are covers here of (NOT by) both of them!

Posted on: 24 October 2017 by winkyincanada

I think that Joe Bonamassa's version of Leon Russell's "Hummingbird" is outstanding. 

Posted on: 24 October 2017 by joerand

While NINs original "Hurt" is extremely powerful, Johnny Cash's simple cover hits me as emotionally more poignant.

Either way, it's a masterpiece of lyrics set to song.

Posted on: 25 October 2017 by dayjay

Hurts, as listed above, Manfred Mann, Blinded by the light, not better but damned good is The Sound of Silence by Disturbed

Posted on: 25 October 2017 by Pev

The Grateful Dead covered a lot of Dylan numbers and his Bobness liked them so much he joined the band for a tour resulting the album Dylan and the Dead. There are bootlegs of shows that are much better than those chosen for the official release.

Posted on: 25 October 2017 by joerand

"I Need A Lover". I originally heard Pat Benetar's cover and while good, it's a less-inspired regurgitation of Mellencamp's superior original. That said, Benetar's rendition got a lot of air play at the time and likely helped bolster Mellencamp's career which was struggling at the time.

Posted on: 27 October 2017 by Pev

William Shatner's version of Pulp's Common People is strangely enjoyable (to me, anyway)

Posted on: 27 October 2017 by Paper Plane

The Strangler's version of Walk On By is, to my ears anyway, by far the best.

And, who can deny Quo's definitive take on Rocking A ll Over The World...

steve

Posted on: 27 October 2017 by TOBYJUG

Al Green. How can you mend a broken heart-.  Bee Gees version is great, but Al's version is definitive.

I'd rather go blind......  so many great versions

Posted on: 27 October 2017 by Clive B
Pev posted:

William Shatner's version of Pulp's Common People is strangely enjoyable (to me, anyway)

What about his version of 'Rocket Man'? He's recorded it a number of times (and there are some great versions on YouTube), but I especially like the version he recorded with the Steve Hillage band.

Posted on: 27 October 2017 by nickpeacock

The cover of Ziggy Stardust by Bauhaus trumps Bowie’s original. Heretical, but true.

Posted on: 27 October 2017 by kevin J Carden
TOBYJUG posted:

Al Green. How can you mend a broken heart-.  Bee Gees version is great, but Al's version is definitive.

I'd rather go blind......  so many great versions

Al Green's version for sure TJ. Such a compelling performer. 

Posted on: 27 October 2017 by kevin J Carden

I listened to Tim Buckley's 'Song to the Siren' last night. Great, powerful song, but I have in my record collection (sadly unplayed for decades as I no longer have a record player) the spine-chilling version by This Mortal Coil. No contest for me that TMC and Elizabeth Fraser's stunning vocal wins hands down..

Posted on: 27 October 2017 by Bf56

Thought provoking and fun topic. 

New York New York by Cat Power. 

You've lost that loving feeling , Long John Baldry.

God only Knows David Bowie

Somewhere, Tom Waits 

I'm sure I'll find a few more, and I agree with most of the above

Bob F

Posted on: 27 October 2017 by Bob the Builder

The Man Who Sold The World - Nirvana

Posted on: 30 October 2017 by Gianluigi Mazzorana

Believe it or not......

Posted on: 30 October 2017 by Eoink
winkyincanada posted:
joerand posted:

Me neither, and I'm a big Joni fan.

Snip

Another big Joni fan, and CSNY for me as well. I’d put the Matthews Southern Comfort version above Joni’s as well, I love Ian’s vocals on that,. I can’t think of another Joni song where she wasn’t mt definitive version.

Posted on: 30 October 2017 by blythe

Beth Hart - "I'd Rather Go Blind". Sorry to Etta James, but Beth nails it totally.
https://youtu.be/QYUO-9ZW_uE