In praise Of Old Vinyl

Posted by: tonym on 28 October 2017

Earlier in the year I met up with an old friend and colleague at an old boy's reunion. Back in the sixties and seventies we were both heavily into the same types of music, usually rock and progressive. He'd not played his vinyl collection for a while,  so I suggested he might like to pop along to my place, bring his old LPs along, & we could have a good listening session.

My friend brought a goodly supply of classic albums along yesterday, so we settled down for a good loud blast of oldies. First up, an original copy of The Yes Album, which sounded magnificent; the various digital versions I have sound rather underwhelming in comparison. Then swiftly on to his copy of The Who Live at Leeds. He's managed to keep all the bits of paper, copies of old receipts, bills, and other interesting memorabilia from the times that came with the album. Again, absolutely stonking sound quality, leaving my recent copy in the dust. On to Wishbone Ash Argus, a real favourite. Oh, so good! At my friend's request, I dug out my old copy of Genesis Seconds Out, to play Cinema Show, Dance on a Volcano and Los Endos. My old pal's been a drummer all his life and knows every beat of these tracks. We had the volume up UNFEASIBLY LOUD and, boy, did it ever sound good! the DBLs just sat there impassively and dished it out, pinning us back in the chair. More oldies from The Beatles, Johhny Winter, then we ran out of time. 

A great day indeed, that left us wondering just why the process that gave us the excellence of these old albums - no fancy heavyweight pressings, some looking distinctly the worse for wear - seems to have largely eluded modern producers, and manufacturers. Still, we can take comfort in the fact that there is still so much good vinyl still around to play and enjoy. Time to steer my original first pressing mono copy of The Jimi Hendrix Experience "Are You Experienced" back onto the turntable!

Posted on: 28 October 2017 by Happy Listener

Tony, I did the same recently (more 1980's vinyl than '70's), with recent 180g re-mastered issues compared back to the original lighter-weight pressings and in most cases the 4 ears in play thought the originals were better/at least as good as the re-masters. In some cases, it would seem on the remasters the gain had been turned up as there was more surface noise apparent from the tapes - perhaps to overcome some fading over time.

My experiences with standard vinyl issuances over the last few years has been very hit and miss. One disadvantage of internet ordering is that it's a real faff when having to return sub-standard goods e.g. LPs which are kinda bowl-shaped or have a free Mexican wave pressed in them!

Posted on: 28 October 2017 by Dungassin

Some time in the 90s I decided that my original LP of Simon And Garfunkel's 'Bridge Over Troubled Water' bought while I was a medical student, was becoming very worn and bought a new reissued LP.  Guess which copy I actually play? 

Yup, it's the old, battered one.  Even though it was abused on my 'steam age', definitely not hifi, student record player, it is still MUCH better than the new copy.

Having ventured into some of the new 180g pressings of Eddie Cochran etc, I find myself totally unimpressed, and am glad I still have the originals.

Posted on: 28 October 2017 by Shep

Yes, me too.  My old copy of "Who's Next"  got badly scratched at a party but with the vinyl revival I thought "let's get a brand new remastered, all singing, all dancing replacement".  What a disappointment.  It's flat, uninvolving, lacking punch in the drums, definition in the bass and not up to the CDs available.  It came from HMV too.  It's strange because AC/DC's Highway To Hell is entirely punchy and dynamic.  Different era, I know but I would just like to know how to get some inkling of the quality of an album's sound before parting with the, er, bread, man.

Posted on: 28 October 2017 by Clive B

I absolutely agree with your findings, Tony. I wonder why we need to have 180g vinyl. The thinner vinyl copies of old were fine and, I believe, no more prone to warping than the heavyweight copies.

As for increased tape hiss apparent on remastered copies, I suspect this is due to compression applied in the mastering. This raises the level of the quieter passages, reducing the dynamic range, which may be owing to mastering for radio or for MP3, I don't know.

At least for those albums ordered from Amazon it's possible to order a replacement before sending back the first imperfect item. The only problem is that usually this means the replacement is from the same batch, but at least you can select to keep the best of those received or simply return them both. Furthermore, it's possible to return faulty items by dropping off at local collection points. It might also be possible to have it collected, but this might only be for Prime customers.

Posted on: 28 October 2017 by Innocent Bystander

It must have been a wonderful day! And sessions with music played like that are always better with a friend remembering from the day and reminiscing over it all!

Many of the list of albums, and the playing level are things that are heard fairly frequently in my house...  the difference is mine have only been digital for some time now, yet I believe I get every bit of the sound I used to with vinyl, and more. But of course, that is not a side-by side comparison, and nothing will ever replace the magic of the physical albums 40-50 years ago.

Posted on: 28 October 2017 by Eoink

Sounds like a great session was had ????

I’ve recently had some good modern pressings, Southern Blood is excellent, but so many modern pressings seem both noisy (hiss and clinks) and compressed (I’m looking at you Blackstar). I bought most of my early Joni albums about 35 years ago on CBS Nice Price cheapo pressings (£2.99 if I remember right), they survived student life and a Trio KD1033B deck, and still sound excellent now. I have no 180gm pressing that has better sound quality. 

Posted on: 28 October 2017 by fatcat

A few days ago I bought a box of classical records at an auction. Approx 30 SXL ED1 and SAX Blue/Silver. All original releases from late 50s to early 60s. I’ve only listened to half a dozen so far, but, from what I’ve heard the sound quality is on a different level to later classical recordings I’ve heard. The immediate thing that hits you is, the instruments sound so much more powerful/real.

By comparison, switching to my digital source, (mojo) the musicians sound like they’re playing toy instruments.

Posted on: 28 October 2017 by Innocent Bystander
fatcat posted:

A few days ago I bought a box of classical records at an auction. Approx 30 SXL ED1 and SAX Blue/Silver. All original releases from late 50s to early 60s. I’ve only listened to half a dozen so far, but, from what I’ve heard the sound quality is on a different level to later classical recordings I’ve heard. The immediate thing that hits you is, the instruments sound so much more powerful/real.

By comparison, switching to my digital source, (mojo) the musicians sound like they’re playing toy instruments.

I can't comment on Mojo as I haven't heard it, though some people say it ia very almost as good as Hugo - and I know Hugo is extremely good, and very natural sounding - many people say analog-like. What are you feeding Mojo with?

Posted on: 28 October 2017 by notnaim man

My two best albums, the ones which come out every time I want to check out the system, one I'm not even sure is vinyl -

Ronnie Aldrich and the Squadcats "All Time Hits of Jazz", I go straight to Petite Fleur. Then a 10 inch Decca, Winifred Atwell and her Pianos "Winifred Atwell Selection".

They are both mono, I don't have the correct setup, but the instruments, the acoustic, sounds so real, in fact just like my daughter's piano at the other end of the room.

To make a third, I have a copy of Decca "Journey Into Stereo Sound" and wonder how much progress we have made.

Posted on: 29 October 2017 by blythe

Posted on: 29 October 2017 by Iron Cobra
Originally Posted by Iron Cobra:

Has anybody got the original red/plum Atlantic vinyl release? If you have like me why would you want any other copy?

Yep, it's good. The new mixes are better to my ears.

Tony,
Your reply to my post regarding an original copy of Fragile by Yes.
Are you changing your mind about old vinyl? 
Posted on: 29 October 2017 by Clive B
Iron Cobra posted:
Originally Posted by Iron Cobra:

Has anybody got the original red/plum Atlantic vinyl release? If you have like me why would you want any other copy?

Yep, it's good. The new mixes are better to my ears.

Tony,
Your reply to my post regarding an original copy of Fragile by Yes.
Are you changing your mind about old vinyl? 

Clearly he couldn't have been referring to the Steven Wilson remasters, which are pants in my view.

Posted on: 05 November 2017 by G. Warminger

I’ve been collecting old mono classical records recently (many 50p each from local charity shop). I decided to get an Ortofon mono cartridge and was pleased at the difference this made compared to a stereo cartridge. Less surface noise because of not replaying the vertical (lack of) information and improved dynamics. It also made my original  Magical Mystery Tour 2x45 EP listenable to. 

Posted on: 05 November 2017 by TallGuy

Nothing to do with sound quality, but why are the sleeves of modern remastered so poorly printed  in comparison with the originals ?  Very dotty, in the style of a newspaper - why does Debbie Harry have a red dotted face on Parallel Lines ? Or where’s the tonal variations on Animals ? Speckled chimneys really aren’t in the spirit of  “artwork” - they are now just poor photocopies really - most dissapointing. 

Posted on: 05 November 2017 by J.N.

There is variability in this area too it would seem. I've just bought a copy of the 2016 Steven Wilson remaster of Jethro Tull 'Stand Up' (1970) and was very pleasantly surprised by the image quality of the wood-cut (?) R.Twerk. It has the pop-up cartoon in the g/f sleeve too.

John.

Posted on: 05 November 2017 by u77033103172058601

Wasn't aware that Ian Anderson and co had been into twerking!

Posted on: 06 November 2017 by Shep

I don't think we liked them because of their R.Soles (tee hee hope the mods aren't annoyed).