Naim AV2 Magic

Posted by: Ardbeg10y on 28 October 2017

Tonight, I'm going to watch the Berliner Philharmoniker on the Digital Concert Hall when Ton Koopman conducts the Mass in B Minor. I decided to prepare the audio properly in order to enjoy the concert more.

My TV was connected by an analogue cable into a Nait 5 and I had - I think - a 50 hz buzz.
Then, I put my fresh Mojo in between them: TV >> digital coax cable >> Mojo >> analogue cable >> Nait 5 >> Loudspeakers. Same buzz.
I decided to put the Naim AV2 back in place: TV >> digital coax cable >> AV2 >> Snaic 4 >> Nait 5 (poweramp) >> Loudspeakers.
No buzz, just perfect music.

To me, the AV2 is a magic box. It does especially what I need - good music - well.

Posted on: 28 October 2017 by NickSeattle

+1.  Keeping mine until death.

Nick

Posted on: 29 October 2017 by Mario

People always start a"what would you want naim to make thread" for me its an updated 7.1 channel analog preamp for use with players like the oppo udp-205, no digital circuitry, just an 8 channel analog pre preferably with an external power supply'

real naim surround

dream come true

and naim would sell more power amps, and focal would sell more speakers!!!

win win for every body

mario.

Posted on: 30 October 2017 by Mr Underhill

I loved the AV2. It was never the best in terms of sound steering on movies, although it was very good. Where it was superb was musically; and, yes I would seriously consider buying any new incarnation.

I think the issue from Naim's POV is that these boxes take a large amount of R&D, then need up front royalties, which cuts into any profit. I wonder whether as a company they made any money on their foray into AV.

With the advent of streaming Naim have had to turn their resource in that direction so I suspect Naim AV is a dead duck.

M

Posted on: 31 October 2017 by blythe

Love the AV2 as well.
Your buzz would indeed have been 50hz and is due to the TV not being earthed.
If it were a DVD player, I'd suggest running a cable front a screw on the metal case to a good known earth point. (or even the earth pin of a socket)
However, as most TV's don't seem to have any (or much) metal on the outside these days, I wouldn't go delving inside...

Posted on: 31 October 2017 by Ardbeg10y
blythe posted:

Love the AV2 as well.
Your buzz would indeed have been 50hz and is due to the TV not being earthed.
If it were a DVD player, I'd suggest running a cable front a screw on the metal case to a good known earth point. (or even the earth pin of a socket)
However, as most TV's don't seem to have any (or much) metal on the outside these days, I wouldn't go delving inside...

Hi Blythe,

Thanks for your reply. The powercable of the TV is indeed not earthed :-( . My TV is intentionally a metal one - a Loewe - which I bought having the intention to survive a bunch of kids. Until sofar, all Naim stuff and the Loewe TV survived. Strange that an up-market TV does not have proper earthing ...

When I need my AV2 somewhere else - then I'll try your suggested workaround.

Ardbeg10y

Posted on: 31 October 2017 by blythe

It's quite common. Friends with a Nait5 had exactly the same issue. I ran a cable from one of the casing screws of their DVD player to the socket plate fixing screw of one of the UK sockets, which is of course earthed - or at least should be!
This cured their 50Hz hum.

Posted on: 02 November 2017 by Manu

My AV2 is still solid in my home theater (250, 145, 175, Naim speakers, Runco projector, Cambridge DVD ).