Your 4 favourite ECM albums.

Posted by: Sloop John B on 11 November 2017

Now that ECM is streaming a lot of its content, what are four favourite ECM albums? 

These are mine (currently)

.sjb

Posted on: 11 November 2017 by Haim Ronen

It will be interesting to see the selections of Adrian who owns the complete ECM catalog.

Not main stream albums but every rotation is quite memorable:

Posted on: 11 November 2017 by seakayaker

1. Jon Balke - Siwan John Blake - Siwan

2. Jakob Bro - Gefion Jakob Bro - Gefion

3. Anouar Brahem - The Astounding Eyes of Rita Anouar Brahem - The Astounding Eyes of Rita

4. Eberhard Weber - Colours Eberhard Weber - Colours (this is cheating since there are 3 albums which make up colors)

Since I am only beginning to explore the ECM catalogue this list will certainly change...... (I did only select albums that I have purchased)

Posted on: 11 November 2017 by Lontano
Haim Ronen posted:

It will be interesting to see the selections of Adrian who owns the complete ECM catalog.

Well, 4/1500 or somewhere near that is tough to choose but here are four I rather like...

and 4 more, apologies...

Lontano posted:
Haim Ronen posted:

Well, 4/1500 or somewhere near that is tough to choose but here are four I rather like...

That's not bad, Adrian. You can select four different albums every day and still never repeat yourself for over a year. Do you know what are the all time 10 top selling ECM albums or should we ask Manfred?

I'd ask him Haim. But I'd say its a pretty safe bet that near the top are Keith Jarrett Koln Concert and Jan Garbarek/Hilliard Ensemble Officium 

This similar thread hasn't gone very far in 2008:

https://forums.naimaudio.com/topic/top-10-ecm-records

Posted on: 11 November 2017 by Corry

Hard to limit it to 4, but here goes, in no particular order:

Eberhard Weber Yellow Fields
Jan Garbarek / Bobo Stenson Quartet Dansere
David Holland Quartet Conference of the Birds
Pat Metheny Bright Size Life

Posted on: 11 November 2017 by Gianluigi Mazzorana

Again hard to limit to 4.....

Posted on: 12 November 2017 by dave4jazz

Again hard to choose.

Dave

Posted on: 12 November 2017 by Adam Zielinski

Manu Katche'Neighborhood'

Jan Garbarek 'Visible World'

Marcin Wasilewski Trio 'January'

Pat Metheny Group 'American Garage'

Posted on: 12 November 2017 by Jeroen20

Indeed a difficult choice, but here go's:

Posted on: 12 November 2017 by Haim Ronen

I remember during the days when we still purchased discs in music stores, always searching for ECM copies from Germany which for some reason sounded sweeter that their US made counterparts.

Posted on: 12 November 2017 by aht
Haim Ronen posted:

I remember during the days when we still purchased discs in music stores, always searching for ECM copies from Germany which for some reason sounded sweeter that their US made counterparts.

I did the same thing.  As a rule, American pressings of European labels are inferior--second-generation masters, sometimes noisy vinyl.  Also, back in the day, new Japanese releases of American rock always sounded inferior, and the Japanese would usually buy the widely-available American pressings (often cheaper, due to the exchange rate).  Later on every one loved Japanese pressings for reissues, but clearly they were not given decent masters for the first round.

Posted on: 12 November 2017 by christian u
Sloop John B posted:

Now that ECM is streaming a lot of its content, what are four favourite ECM albums? 

.sjb

Pretty good selection. but....how about....

Posted on: 12 November 2017 by DenisA

I only have 3 ECM CD's, with 2 more on order 

Arvo Pärt - Tabula Rasa

Arvo Pärt - Adam's Lament

Steve Reich - The ECM Recordings 

KOMITAS: Piano Compositions - Lusine Grigoryan

Arvo Pärt  - Alina

Posted on: 12 November 2017 by Haim Ronen

I wasn't asked about but anyway.. My ECM dud, played it twice and had it stored since. Goes well  though with the title "Angels of Repose".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5vLIqwHI0c

Posted on: 12 November 2017 by christian u
christian u posted:
Sloop John B posted:

.sjb

Pretty good selection. but....how about....

Keith Jarrett ;Rio

Pat Metheny: Bright Size Life

Tord Gustavson ; Being There

Posted on: 12 November 2017 by Nick Lees

Pat Metheny & Lyle Mays - As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls

Eberhard Weber - Chorus

Keith Jarrett - Arbour Zena

Arvo Part - Tabula Rasa

Posted on: 12 November 2017 by Richard Morris

The only ECM I play often.

Other choices would be more Jarrett - the Standards Trio,  all of the Tord Gustavsen cds and most by Charles Lloyd.

Posted on: 12 November 2017 by TOBYJUG

https://img.discogs.com/koJw6kuPnelPBhgsjIS7oa3J6IQ=/fit-in/600x596/filters:strip_icc[):format(jpeg):mode_rgb():quality(90)/discogs-images/R-2271038-1374750704-2860.jpeg.jpg

No. 1

Posted on: 13 November 2017 by Dozey

Quercus. If that is how you spell it.

Posted on: 13 November 2017 by Wugged Woy

Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania kanon pokajanen part

Posted on: 14 November 2017 by AndyP19

Apologies for slight detour on the thread. I love the ECM label and I'm a great fan of the guitar god Steve Vai and respectful of Percy Jones' immense bass talents but this 1986 release by The Epidemics headed by the Indian violinist Shankar and his wife Caroline together with the aforementioned Vai and Jones plus a drum machine is just atrocious beyond belief!

Anyone who has this and can find some merit please let me know, as I struggle to undestand how this ever got a release on such an esteemed label.