Can the volume control of an AV2 be controlled by a Sky Remote or a Panasonic TV Viera remote?

Posted by: vintageaxeman on 15 November 2017

Can the volume control of an AV2 be controlled by a Sky Remote or a Panasonic Viera remote?  I am trying to cut down on the number of remotes I use. The Panny remote can have numbers typed into its number keypad so that it can control different makes of AV amps/receivers, but it does not list Naim gear.

Posted on: 16 November 2017 by Richard Dane

It will depend on how programmable are the Sky or Panasonic remotes. Naim use RC5 codes - there are many code sets though.  Naim can provide discrete codes for each function for you but it will depend on whether the Sky or Panasonic remotes can accept them.  Alternatively can either of them "learn" from the Naim remote?

The other alternative is to use a Universal remote with learning capability that you can program to control everything. 

Posted on: 16 November 2017 by vintageaxeman

Hi Richard. I said Sky and I meant Virgin V6. My bad! My new Virgin V6 remote can apparently use 4 figure codes for many, many makes of TV and AV preamps. I don't think it's a learning remote though, as you don't use it'head to head' with another remote. I think it has thousands of them preprogrammed into an internal chip, and you have to cycle through them to find the correct one. Today I have managed to do just that, to set the V6 remote up with my old Panasonic AV amp which is still in use in my system. I now have a NAP175 and 150X to set up with my AV2, but it isn't quite ready to set up yet, as I need to sort out cabling.  But I will do that in the next few days, now that I know how to do the remote procedure with the old Panny AV amp. Fingers crossed. Thanks for your advice, or any further advice that you can give. Cheers!

Posted on: 17 November 2017 by Richard Dane

You could contact Virgin and ask them. Otherwise a proper Universal remote control such as a Logitech Harmony would probably be your best bet if you want one control to do it all.

Posted on: 29 November 2017 by NickSeattle

FWIW, my TiVo Premier XL remote controls the AV2, and switches my NAC to the correct input for the AV2 immediately when I adjust the AV2 volume.

I cannot imagine better functionality from a remote.  I set the remote using codes from TiVo.

Nick

Posted on: 30 November 2017 by vintageaxeman

Hi Nick.

I would love to be able to set up my Virgin remote to do the same....  Can you please give me some advice as to where you found the codes to control the AV2, or what they are (if you have a record of them?)

I just can't find them anywhere, and have tried the procedure that Virgin recommends without any luck.

On another note, I presume you may use Naim amps with your AV2....Do you leave them switched on all the time? I know this is the general Naim advice, but it seems folly to leave them on for 19 unused hours each day, just to have them ready for 4 or 5 hours viewing in the evening....

Any further advice would be very much appreciated!

Cheers, David

Posted on: 30 November 2017 by tonym

Hi David, I used to have all the AV2 codes, which my dealer obtained for me from someone at Naim. I've just rummaged through all my Naim documentation & alas, they're gone, but I'd be surprised if Naim no longer have them. Why not give Steve Hopkins a ring, or drop him an e-mail?

Posted on: 30 November 2017 by Ardbeg10y

If someone finds them, I would appreciate if they get posted here. I need them too :-)

Posted on: 30 November 2017 by Richard Dane

It's a bit too much to post on here - it should be an MS Word document of around 3 pages. Note that these are discreet command codes, not one code that covers all commands. 

I'll look to see if I have an old one but may be on an old drive packed away.  Best to just mail Steve H at Naim.

Thanks Richard, Tony and ardbeg. I have emailed Naim support to ask for these. If I get a response I will post details here. Cheers, David

Posted on: 30 November 2017 by NickSeattle

It seems I may not have used codes after all.  The TiVo remote can learn from the Naim remote.  I must have done that.  All I know for sure is the TiVo directions online were sufficient.

I understand that some DVRs in the UK may be re-branded TiVos.  

Good luck.

Nick

I have had a reply from Steve at Naim, and he has sent me the pdfs. If anyone wants a copy, please PM me your email address. Cheers, David

Ardbeg10y posted:

If someone finds them, I would appreciate if they get posted here. I need them too :-)

Hi Ardbeg, I have had a reply from Steve at Naim, and he has sent me the pdfs. Please PM me with your email address if you want a copy. Cheers, David

Posted on: 01 December 2017 by vintageaxeman
To use my AV2 with my Virgin V6 Tivo handset, I succeeded in following Virgin’s OWN instructions this afternoon.
This is what I did: (Virgin's instructions amended by me)

To Control your Naim AV2 using your Virgin TV remote
If you have your Virgin TV V6 box connected to your TV and with your sound system including a Naim AV2, you can programme your Virgin TV V6 remote to control the volume on your equipment.
Programming your remote using a code search
The simplest way to programme your Virgin TV V6 remote to work with your AV2 is by searching for the correct code.
  1. Make sure your AV2 and your TiVo box are switched on
  2. Press and hold down Clear and Volume Down at the same time until the light on top of the remote flashes green twice
  3. Enter the code 1999 to access the virgin remote's AV device code database – the remote's LED will flash green twice
  4. Point the remote at your AV2 and press channel up repeatedly until a code mutes the volume for the device – the LED will flash green each time a code is sent. Count as you try different codes. It will take between 50 and 60 goes (a few minutes) to reach the Naim AV2 code.
  5. When the volume turns off, press Mute to turn the volume back on, to test it.
  6. Press Volume Up / Down and Mute to check that the remote is working with your AV2. If it doesn’t work, continue to search using Channel Up until the next code turns off the volume, and repeat steps 5 and 6
  7. When the Volume and Mute keys work, press OK to store the code. The LED will then flash green twice

Good luck
David
Posted on: 01 December 2017 by NickSeattle

Yes.  That is what worked for me, too.

Good result!

Posted on: 01 December 2017 by Ardbeg10y

Special thanks to David! Around Christmas I'm going to play a bit with the setup and see what can be done. Until then - the volume knob needs to be touched physically.