The Audacity of Pink Floyd

Posted by: AndyP19 on 25 November 2017

Just spent a rewarding hour editing Track 5 of Atom Heart Mother in Audacity. The track 'Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast' consists of roadie Alan Styles's mumbling away whilst cooking a fry - up mixed along with a nice three section instrumental from the band. 

The track is 13 minutes long and on most plays I stop the album after Fat Old Sun and very rarely give the last track a listen. I guess it is of it's time and probably sounded like a great idea....

So, opended up the flac track in Audacity stretched the 'sound wave' out and deleted sections where it is just Alan's mutterings or the sound of frying eggs! Where one of the stereo channels had 'vocals' and the other Dave Gilmour's guitar, I mixed the track to mono using just the Gilmour part. 

End result after a few trial versions is a 9 minute Pink Floyd instrumental track which I've filed as Track 06 'Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast (Edited)' OK I'm no Alan Parsons or James Guthrie but it doesn't sound bad and given the software is (I think) still free it's great fun to play around with.

Posted on: 01 December 2017 by stuart.ashen

Isn’t that a bit like editing the Bible?

Only kidding...

Posted on: 01 December 2017 by Innocent Bystander

Audacity is indeed a great tool, though I haven't takening editing that far!

Posted on: 01 December 2017 by AndyP19

I've found it essential when ripping albums like Nirvana's In Utero where a hidden track (Track 13) is placed after, in this case about 12 minutes of silence. Seems like this was the vogue in the 1990's.

Nice to be able to cut off and discard the 12 minutes of silence (unless you're a raving John Cage fan) and re-file the music section. 

Posted on: 01 December 2017 by Nick Lees

Dbpoweramp has automatic hidden track detection and elimination.