Happy 100th birthday Finland

Posted by: Peakman on 03 December 2017

The centenary of the birth of Finland as an independent nation is on Wednesday.  (I think, please correct me if I'm wrong.)  So I decided to listen to some Sibelius this afternoon including the following, which includes an outstanding account of the extraordinary Luonnotar and a very fine performance of the Oceanides, both in excellent sound.

I thought it might be interesting to hear of other people's favourite discs of Sibelius or other Finnish musicians, during this time of celebration for our Northern friends.

Roger

Posted on: 03 December 2017 by Massimo Bertola

Happy birthday, Finland!

I only have a number of discs of music by Sibelius, all his symphonies some of which in more than one performance, plus some symphonic poems and other loose numbers. The first thing I got to know by him, at an age so far away to seem belonging to another life, was the classic Valse triste. Since then, having gotten accustomed to his way of writing and, especially, orchestrating, I have grown a passion for the finale of the 4th, but in earlier days my preferred was the 2nd – I was young.

I don't know other Finnish composers, but I now remember that we have more than one disc of North European Choral music which we play rarely, but they might very likely include some unexpected gems from Finland. I'll dedicate some time to that, as a way of celebrating and becoming less ignorant.

M.

Posted on: 03 December 2017 by kevin J Carden

I must say that I also know only Sibelius, though I have the CD below in my collection. Ashamed to admit that I don’t recall ever having played it! Too late today, but maybe I’ll have a go tomorrow in honour of the Finnish 100th anniversary! 

Posted on: 03 December 2017 by Dave***t

I know some Sibelius, but Finnish music to me principally means extreme metal from the early 90s, like Beherit and Demigod. My favourite album of that sort of thing probably being Tol Cormpt Norz Norz Norz.

Totally the opposite end of the spectrum, but it takes all sorts, and it's all Finnish!

Posted on: 03 December 2017 by ewemon

with Chorus. My favourite version.

Posted on: 04 December 2017 by Massimo Bertola

Kevin,

I know well enough Rautavaara, but didn't remember he is Finnish. I hope none of my students ever reads this.

best

M

Posted on: 04 December 2017 by Ardbeg10y

Rautavaara has written some nice music for choir too. Was very enjoyable to sing.

Posted on: 04 December 2017 by Stephen_C

You have by this thread provided a stimulus for my morning's listening, so next on the list is my original introduction to Sibelius but in a more modern  (96/24 download) version, playing through my Nova:

Stephen

Posted on: 16 December 2017 by Peakman

Around this time of year, I usually look for a Christmas disc or two and since I have a fair number of discs of Cathedral/College choirs and the like singing carols and popular Christmas songs I try to find something more unconventional.  This year the thought of Finland's 100th birthday prompted me to download this disc of Christmassy music with a Finnish flavour.  I was expecting it to be a pleasant listen but it's a great deal more than that.  The music is a mixture of works by Finnish composers, Baroque and other composers from many countries, and contemporary choral and organ pieces.  The choir is superb and Bis whose recordings are usually good have excelled themselves here, particularly in my High Res download from Qobuz.  The choir come across vividly within a warm but not dominating acoustic and the organ is perfectly balanced.  This has now become one of my favourite albums both for music and the recording and not just amongst my Christmas ones.

If you are not put off by an hour or so of mostly unfamiliar choral and organ music, I recommend this album most strongly.  If, like me you often despair of the way the world and the UK in particular seem intent on tearing themselves apart at the moment, an hour spent listening to this may not put things right but it certainly helps to cope.

Roger