Naim Forum Weekly Record Club

Posted by: Bob the Builder on 06 December 2017

Maybe it has been tried before  but anyone who wishes to join me in a weekley record club is more than welcome.  I will kick off first with an LP from my collection and the rules are all club members must listen to the record all the way through wether or not they have heard it, like it or it is from an artist or genre that they like or listen to and the first member who posts a comment  chronologicaly gets to pick the next weeks record.

Very simple rules but of course the record must be available to all members so available to stream on the major sites either Tidal, Qubuz, Apple Music etc.

Also a picture of the LP cover and the naim of the streaming site would be good.

So first record is Bobby Womack - Facts of Life on Tidal (LP art differenton Tidal)

Posted on: 09 December 2017 by yeti42

naim of the streaming site? 

I don’t have a streamer and I’m not sitting at the PC to listen to a whole album so won’t be joining you on this.

Posted on: 09 December 2017 by Bob the Builder
yeti42 posted:

naim of the streaming site? 

I don’t have a streamer and I’m not sitting at the PC to listen to a whole album so won’t be joining you on this.

Facts Of Life/I Don't Know What The World Is Coming To CD

You can buy the above double LP CD for £3.20 on the river site if you are desperate to take part yeti42 although something tells me you are probably not.

Obviously if people just don't like my choice they are welcome to put forward suggestions it was just an attempt to inspire a bit of debate and also to get members listening to records they may never have listened to.  But we can of course just keep discussing how great are systems are.

Posted on: 09 December 2017 by Eoink

I’m in Bob, I’ll wait a couple of days before listening as I’m not sure my current man flu makes me the best judge of music I don’t know. 

Posted on: 11 December 2017 by Bob the Builder

Well that is two of us Eoink your choice of LP next.

Posted on: 11 December 2017 by Sloop John B

It would help if you gave some reasons you are choosing an album, a bit of its history perhaps, where in fits in his career and any special meaning it may have for you. 

I shall have a listen, streaming makes a thread like this possible and I no nowt about Bobby Womack. 

.sjb

Posted on: 11 December 2017 by AndyP19

Interesting choice, this is a great soul album from Bobby Womack, recorded in 1973 using the Muscle Shoals session team (worth buying any album with those guys), weighted in favour of cover versions with an Ernie Isley-esque guitar sound on the final track - All along the watch tower. 

Great to re-visit Facts of Life, I bought this packaged with equally excellent 1975 album I Don't Know The World Is Coming To. 

Posted on: 12 December 2017 by Eoink

I’ll be honest, this style of music isn’t really my thing.. It’s largely covers, Womack sings them well. The swampers play with their usual excellence, I’ve never heard them play this style before (for more than one track at a time). The album hangs together well. The standout tracks for me are Natural Man and That’s Heaven To Me. Sadly the music didn’t do anything for me, it’s just not my thing. I can respect  how well the songs are performed, the musicianship is excellent, but the style does nothing to move me. If you like soul at all I think you’ll love this, it’s a very well crafted album. Thanks Bob, I’m glad I listened to this, I wouldn't have ever done so without this, and I’m pleased I did. 

I’ll post my first choice tomorrow a week after yours.

Posted on: 12 December 2017 by Bob the Builder

Thanks Eoink.

It's strange that this is the LP of his that I listen to most when he is such a great singer song writer and as you point out there are lots of covers on this record. As a young man with his first group The Valentinos he wrote The Rolling Stones first hit 'It's All Over Now' and all through the 70's and 80's he continued to write fantastic soul music.

Across a 110th Street and Harry Hippie were big hits in the 70's and in the 80's The Poet and The Poet II were to classic soul LP's and then again before his death he found a new lease of life releasing the The Bravest Man in the Universe with Damon Albarn and playing a great set at Glastonbury.

But on The Facts of Life with the Muscle Shoals team he reaches a level for me unsurpassed his tone and laid back vocals are some of the best in the soul genre. The title track is my personal favourite and would be in my Desert Island Disc playlist and the cover of Sam Cooke's Heaven to Me is another beautifully sung record.

Posted on: 12 December 2017 by TOBYJUG

Have only got a couple of his compilations, and one of them has pretty much all of the tracks from your choice. Gets played a lot when the mood suits.

He has a few albums from a long time span that I would like to have, especially the very early stuff.  The 80s style is very good ( with that classic 80s soul R/B tone).

Posted on: 13 December 2017 by Eoink

My suggestion for this week, available from Tidal. In the eighties there was a wave of fine English folk-rock music. Possible the finest band was the Home Service, led by John Tams as singer-songwriter and the brilliant guitar playing of Graeme Taylor, fronting a fantastic horn section and  a rock solid rhythm section. They played a fiery set at the Cambridge Folk Festival in 1986, I was lucky enough to be there, the tapes were found a quarter of a century later and this album came out. I think, though may be sadly corrected, that this is music that can show even folkophobes that not all folk rock is twee nonny nonny no.

Posted on: 15 December 2017 by TOBYJUG

I fear EOINK might have prematurely killed off this thread with his ..ahem..record of the week choice.

Posted on: 16 December 2017 by Sloop John B

That’s strange I only see a 2016 album “a new ground” available on Tidal.

Might be a regional thing? Although I’m in Dublin I think I’m aligned to the US Tidal as I pay in $  

EDIT

I see it’s on Spotify and has a song called Dublin Bay on it, so I’ll slum it on Spotify later  

.sjb

Posted on: 01 January 2018 by Olly

New Years Eve washing up this morning provided an opportunity to stream and listen to Home Service Live 1986.

It certainly took my mind off the dishes, but how would I describe it?  Well the closest I can get is its like Steeleye Span ran into a Salvation Army Band on the way to a gig and said "Hey, would you guys like to come and play with us tonight?".

I recognise a lot of what Eoink says in his introduction to the band and this album, but it's not really my glass of cider!

Best Wishes for 2018 - I hope this thread keeps going.  Bob let me know if this qualifies me for next pick.

Olly

Posted on: 04 January 2018 by Dozey

I agree with the Salvation Army horn section comment. Not rocky or folky enough for me, but interesting. 

Posted on: 05 January 2018 by Bob the Builder

Eoink hadn’t listened to this as yet because I couldn’t find it but will resign into my old Spotify acc over the weekend and give it a go. 

Posted on: 06 January 2018 by Olly

OK - I'm taking the initiative.

As Monty Python would have said "... and now for something completely different".

Back in the day when I used to buy more CD's I'd occasionally pick something completely unknown to me based on the the artwork and/or title.  This was one such album and as I could only find one reference on the Music Room it seems it's not well known here, so I thought it would be a good one to share on this thread.

Anything that samples Herring Gulls can't be all bad. Available on the usual streaming services. Enjoy!

Olly

Posted on: 16 January 2018 by Dozey

bump

Posted on: 16 January 2018 by Eoink

Oops, I meant to listen to the recommendation and got distracted by vinyl the last few nights. Thanks for the bump Dozey.

Posted on: 16 January 2018 by Eoink
Olly posted:

OK - I'm taking the initiative.

As Monty Python would have said "... and now for something completely different".

Back in the day when I used to buy more CD's I'd occasionally pick something completely unknown to me based on the the artwork and/or title.  This was one such album and as I could only find one reference on the Music Room it seems it's not well known here, so I thought it would be a good one to share on this thread.

Anything that samples Herring Gulls can't be all bad. Available on the usual streaming services. Enjoy!

Olly

Thanks Olly, not a genre I know much about. My 35 year old nephew does play dance and other genres over Tidal when he visits, in an attempt to show me that music from his era is good music.

I enjoyed this a lot, electronic dance music, quite a bit of psychedelic style guitar and synth over the beat.  Sophisticated yet fun music. It started holding my attention less for the last 3 numbers, maybe the music, maybe me. I’ll give it another spin in a week or 2, if it grows on me I’ll probably buy a copy to rip. Thanks, interesting suggestion..

Posted on: 19 January 2018 by Dozey

I enjoyed it too. Especially the seagulls! It started off more like funk than electronic dance music, and I like funk.