Gramophone Digital

Posted by: David O'Higgins on 14 December 2017

I have just treated myself to a 3 year subscription to the digital version of the Gramophone, and I think it is remarkable value. Every edition since 1923 is available together with a database of 30,000 reviews, all for just over £200 for the 3 years. Highly recommended !

Posted on: 21 December 2017 by Morton

I had been thinking about this for a while, finally decided to go for the Christmas offer of £48 (normally £106) for a 13 month print and digital archive version, as you say, a remarkable bargain.

Posted on: 21 December 2017 by kevin J Carden

Sounds like great value Gents. Of course the real cost may be in the thousands once your done buying all those recommended albums ! ????

However, it’ll be money very well spent I’m sure.

I may well follow you in on a subscription. Thanks for the heads up. 

Posted on: 23 December 2017 by David O'Higgins

I started reading from 1923, and I am now in the middle of 1924, and it is fascinating. There is so much that we can learn about our interest in music from those who went before us. We have it easy in so many ways, with e.g. complete operas at the push of a button. In 1924, a Beethoven 9 required 9 double sided discs but, for the music lovers at the time it was a revolution!

I am really looking forward to reading through the 1929 crash and beyond, and through WWII, not to mention the emergence of LP, CD, streaming etc. This is a fantastic piece of social history and I have to salute the memory of Sir Compton Mackenzie, the founder and editor, who has left us such riches. His ‘Whiskey Galore’ was turned into one of my favourite films, but The Gramophone archive goes a step further.