What sub for my Naim AV system?

Posted by: tiggers55 on 17 December 2017

I have a Naim system made up of 102/2xHI-CAPs/SNAXO2-4/4x135s/ALLAES

Integrated to it is an AV2/NAP175/n-SATs/Linn EKWAL centre

It sounds very good, but I would like to use a sub to get some proper low frequencies. Currently if I set the front speakers to large on the AV2 I get low frequency cracking occasionally, setting them to small will fix that, but then low frequencies go missing.

I would love  an n-Sub, but they seem to be as rare as rocking horse do-dos.

Moderated Post:  Tiggers55, please ensure you have read and understood forum rules.  Thanks.

Posted on: 17 December 2017 by blythe

In one of my systems I use an n-sub (not for sale!) and in another, I use a small REL, which also works well.
I'd start by looking at a REL, if no n-subs suddenly appear!

Posted on: 18 December 2017 by johnG

+1 for the REL - I have a T9i in 20-25m2 area. Hooked up with high-level input from the (non-Naim) amp speaker terminals. Good review by Alan Sircom Hifi+ about how the RELs are integrated into a system for musical bass enhancement rather than 'in your face' subwoofery. 

Posted on: 18 December 2017 by tiggers55

Thanks both for the replies and I like the lack of in your face subwoofery comment as that is the last thing I want. Will have a proper look at RELs. My room is about 4.5m x 6m so a T9i might well fit the bill.

Posted on: 18 December 2017 by tonym

Also look at BK Subwoofers. Excellent value and work very well indeed. Nice company to deal with to boot.

Posted on: 20 December 2017 by ChrisSU

I was lucky to pick up an N-Sub a couple of years ago, but if I didn’t have it, BK would certainly on my shortlist. 

Posted on: 20 December 2017 by tiggers55

Thanks for the recommendation, I will look into them. I was leaning towards hanging on for an n-Sub seeing as most of the rest of the system is Naim, but I have a feeling that a good sub from BK or REL will be just as good for what I want it for.

Posted on: 29 December 2017 by Mark R

I would also add MJ Acoustics to your list. They have a couple of features not available on all subs and may be useful, depending on your needs. 

-Mark

Posted on: 03 January 2018 by rackkit
ChrisSU posted:

I was lucky to pick up an N-Sub a couple of years ago, but if I didn’t have it, BK would certainly on my shortlist. 

I was even luckier to pick one up in Maple, the same veneer as my SL2s, Axess & n-Sats. Took months of scanning the classifieds but well worth the effort. 

BTW, why are all bar the top 8 threads on here now closed to replies? Are Naim thinking of shutting down this section of the forum?

Posted on: 03 January 2018 by blythe

I believe the forum rules state that any topic with no replies within a certain length of time, effectively locks down.