AV2 connecting to apple tv

Posted by: Porchuk on 27 December 2017

hi, I already have a dvd and sky box connected up via the two toslink outputs on my AV2 and have a toslink output on the tv. With the apple box connected via hdmi to the tv, can I get a toslink to digital in (2 channel) lead or am I thinking about this in the wrong way?

Posted on: 27 December 2017 by Richard Dane

On many TVs if you connect a device via HDMI then it will route audio to the TV and also out from the TV via either analogue or digital s/pdif.  Of course you could just route audio directly from the apple TV to the AV2 if you have a spare input.

Posted on: 27 December 2017 by Porchuk

I can hear it through the tv speakers but would like to use the b&w surround sound set up powered by my naim 300/200/100 amps.

Posted on: 27 December 2017 by vintageaxeman

Would there be a sonic benefit going straight from Apple TV (or in my case a Virgin V6 box) direct to the AV2 rather than going to the TV with HDMI then from the TV to the AV2 by SPDIF?

Posted on: 27 December 2017 by NickSeattle

I run my Apple TV, TiVo, BluRay, and Roku to my Sony 55” TV, then one Toslink from TV to AV-2.  You have to set the TV to divert audio to Toslink.  I.e., turn Internal Speakers OFF.

Nick

Posted on: 27 December 2017 by vintageaxeman

Thanks, Nick, that's exactly what I do currently too.

Posted on: 27 December 2017 by NickSeattle

Not sure about the sound advantages of plugging sources into both TV and AV-2.  My way sounds plenty good, and is so simple, my family doesn’t mind it/likes it.