Bruckner

Posted by: Ardbeg10y on 28 December 2017

Hi

I have a special relation to music of Anton Bruckner.

It was in my first year studying music that my music theory teacher let us listen to the opening of Bruckner 4. I admitted for the first time in my life that there is music equally good to music of Johann Sebastian Bach. That is something for an organist. Not surprisingly, Bruckner was a good organist too so there is a link.

I have a few recordings which I frequently listen:

Bruckner 7 by Staatskapelle Dresden with Thielemann as conductor.

Bruckner 7 by Berliner Philharmoniker / Celibidache.

Bruckner 4 by Gewandhaus Orkest / Gunther Wand as conductor.

I saw on Qobuz this one:

Any comments on Barenboim's interpretation with the Staatskapelle Berlin?

Posted on: 30 December 2017 by Morton

I haven’t heard Barenboim‘s Bruckner with the Staatskapelle (I have his set with the Berlin Phil) but I see that Gramophone Magazine give a good review of the 7th Symphony.
My wife and I are going to Symphony Hall Birmingham in a couple of weeks for a performance of the 7th conducted by Omer Meir Wellber, not someone I am familiar with.

Posted on: 30 December 2017 by DrPo

I developed a special affinity to Bruckner too during the past few years. I haven’t heard this one but was 30’ ago cleaning an LP of the 8th (live performance in Staatskapelle Dresden, Thorens production) although I haven’t heard it yet??

in general, as his music relies a lot on brass I have heard that orchestras like the Berlin Philh. “do” Bruckner better than the string experts of the Vienna type...in that respect it might not be a surprise that I like Wand’s cycle...

Posted on: 30 December 2017 by Bert Schurink

I know and have this one. It’s a quite decent execution by Barenboim. Of the newer ones I however prefer Jaap van Zweden’s version.

Posted on: 30 December 2017 by mudwolf

decade ago in LA we were going to hear Bruckner, I had vague idea he was brass heavy.  My friend loved his work.  WOW! after that performance I paid attention.  Recently bought 5 more of his symphonies at Amoeba. Plus Latin Motets by Hans Zanotelli and Philharmonia Vocalensemble Stuttgart.   

Last night for my BD after an incredible meal I played my visiting friend Arvo Part's Arbos which is quiet choral work ending with Stabat Mater, then the Bruckner and we were underwhelmed till about #6 then  the orchestra came in and the choral sort of broke up passing the melodies and  it became big and intense.  Last up was his copy of Geswaldo, Quinto Libro di Madrigali by Hilliard Ensemble. and the next hour was psychedelic, choral voices floating around and impossible to describe.  An amazing evening from Estonia 20th C, to German and Spanish late 1500s. We saw gawd!

Posted on: 31 December 2017 by EJS

On Vienna not being good in Bruckner: near the end of his life, when Karajan had fallen out with the Berliner, he conducted magnificent performances of Bruckner’s 7th and 8th in Vienna - both were recorded by DG and rank among the best performances on record, IMO.

Used to have complete cycles by Barenboim, Wand and a few others, but sold them as part of a big downsize last year. I held on to Haitink (although his best recordings are not in the available boxsets) and Sinopoli - I love Sinopoli in Bruckner, especially the 5th is magnificent,  it is such a shame he died before he could finish his cycle. 

Among recent recordings, I really like Nelsons’ recording of the 3rd.

cheers,

EJ

Posted on: 31 December 2017 by DrPo

Thanks EJ, I will definitely check these out! 

Posted on: 01 January 2018 by Morton
EJS posted:

On Vienna not being good in Bruckner: near the end of his life, when Karajan had fallen out with the Berliner, he conducted magnificent performances of Bruckner’s 7th and 8th in Vienna - both were recorded by DG and rank among the best performances on record, IMO.

Used to have complete cycles by Barenboim, Wand and a few others, but sold them as part of a big downsize last year. I held on to Haitink (although his best recordings are not in the available boxsets) and Sinopoli - I love Sinopoli in Bruckner, especially the 5th is magnificent,  it is such a shame he died before he could finish his cycle. 

Among recent recordings, I really like Nelsons’ recording of the 3rd.

cheers,

EJ

Karajan’s Bruckner 8th with the Berlin Phil was my first introduction to the Bruckner sound world, I still have the vinyl copy I bought in about 1977, I haven’t heard his Vienna version.
My latest purchase is, I think, an excellent version of a completed four movement 9th Symphony conducted by Rattle with the Berliners.

I will be at Symphony Hall Birmingham in May for the Bruckner Orchestra Linz performance of the Bruckner 8th & the Mozart 35th.

Posted on: 01 January 2018 by Ardbeg10y

Thanks for the replies, guys. I think I leave the Barenboim for what it is and do some investigation on the editions mentioned on this topic.

As you might have seen, I had a Tchaikovsky topic also recently.

The problem I have with many recordings, is that the tempo is too high. This seem to work badly for the violin section. They can't paint well enough anymore.

Posted on: 02 January 2018 by kevin J Carden

Jochum’s cycle is great, but sound is not the best. Some of Klemperer’s recordings on EMI are gripping too, the 4th especially. Georg Tintner on Naxos is a beautiful sounding cycle. The whole lot including 0 and 00 Symphonies can be all yours for about £30..