Music and tragedy

Posted by: Consciousmess on 10 January 2018

Do any of you become absorbed into music more when the writer soon afterwards died tragically?  For instance Nirvana “Live in New York”, in the last track “Where did you sleep last night?” you can hear the pain in his voice, or Beethoven’s 9th Symphony which I hear was piece he wrote as his deafness began or Shannon Mathews from Blind Melon or David Bowie or Prince?

Posted on: 10 January 2018 by Florestan

Tragically, we all die.  Perhaps we all know this and sooner or later become more aware of our own mortality which can increase empathy when we vicariously reflect upon someone else's death.

On another note, nearly all the music I listen to on a daily basis is that of someone who has died long ago.  Their own death is just but one area that is enchanting and cause for absorption.  I feel the best of the composers were always addressing this topic throughout their life times.  For instance, can you not hear tinges of this at times in Schumann or Tchaikovsky in their Albums for the Young or early Rachmaninov?  But yes, I certainly get the goosebumps when I think of the late music of Schubert, Beethoven, Chopin, Mozart etc. when you can clearly hear the coming doom being dealt with like a premonition.  Surely, they must have known?  Or are we projecting something otherworldly on the music because we know the ending?

Posted on: 10 January 2018 by R.K
Florestan posted:

But yes, I certainly get the goosebumps when I think of the late music of Schubert, Beethoven, Chopin, Mozart etc. when you can clearly hear the coming doom being dealt with like a premonition.  Surely, they must have known?  Or are we projecting something otherworldly on the music because we know the ending?

We’re projecting. Schubert and Mozart did not know these would be their last works. 

Posted on: 10 January 2018 by R.K
Florestan posted:

Tragically, we all die. 

Why tragic?  If we did not die there would be no room for new children, new individuals. Imagine a world full of old people. No children laughing and learning. Full of people getting older and more miserable as everything hurts more, memory goes, short of breath with any exertion. No thank you. 

Posted on: 10 January 2018 by Innocent Bystander

No.

But tragedy touching my own life is another matter - music can be very helpful, therapeutic even.

Posted on: 10 January 2018 by Consciousmess

Very profound responses, thanks. (Sincerely.)

Posted on: 10 January 2018 by Bruce Woodhouse

The last Leonard Cohen album 'You Want It Darker' is suffused by his imminent death. Faith, death and ageing are part of the last few he recorded but certain lines on this last one are incredibly poignant.

It was recorded with his son and my understanding they were very aware of his failing health. Not a 'tragic' death as such due to his age but still robbed us of an artist possibly producing his best work.

The other I would suggest is the Nick Cave documentary 'Once More With Feeling'. Although the album 'Skeleton Tree' was mostly written before the untimely death of his son (who fell to his death after taking drugs) it was recorded afterwards and the (spookily prescient at times) lyrics are performed with an intensity and emotional resonance that is quite incredible. The documentary mixes performance and interview and is at times awkward, understated and by the end a quietly devastating exploration of his and his family's grief. Really worth the effort.

Bruce

Posted on: 11 January 2018 by Dozey

Beethoven's deafness began to get serious when he was composing his 6th symphony.

Posted on: 11 January 2018 by Eoink
Dozey posted:

Beethoven's deafness began to get serious when he was composing his 6th symphony.

Probably even earlier, he wrote the Heiligenstadt Testament letter in 1802, talking about his bad hearing, that was roughly the 2nd Symphony date I think.

To the original point, I think I hear it differently. In some cases the artist was clearly consciously creating a farewell, recently Gregg Allman's Southern Blood was recorded when he knew his illness was terminal and the songs reflect that.

But even without the conscious swansong works, I think I hear farewells in say late Mozart, which I don't think he wrote, I suspect I'm projecting.