Obsolete technology?

Posted by: GeeJay on 14 January 2018

I noticed that TV manufacturers (LG, Sony, Panasonic, Samsung, etc.) abandoned ability to watch 3D material on their screens from 2017 date of manufacture, and that latest generation of TVs launched at CES 2018 are similarly missing 3D functionality.  Interestingly, BluRay players are still being made that are 3D compatible (e.g. Oppo 203 and 205).

I have quite a few 3D BluRay films (I’m one of those folks who don’t mind wearing the passive 3D glasses - I know many people hate the glasses or they get a headache when using them) and on my 3D compatible LG  E6 OLED screen, (2016 vintage), the 3D films are superb (e.g. Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Star Wars-Rogue One, Hobbit, etc.). In some respects, many 3D films can be as visually appealing/immersive as their HDR UHD counterparts.

Given that film studios are still showing new films at cinemas in 3D and are also selling 3D BluRays of new films (with a price premium over 2D BluRay), are we now ‘locked in’ to our existing screens, or do folks think this is a tech that may come back in the future (especially as OLED screens are getting brighter each year), or is it a ‘dead and buried’ technology?

ATB.  G

Posted on: 14 January 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk

I deliberately got a 2017 LG TV model so I could use 3D... I think the effect is rather entertaining... and really works with ultra definition and high colour bit rates..... I think 3D peaked too soon, before TV tech was ready... I wouldn’t be surprised if it came back now the very latest TVs are quite a bit better.

Posted on: 14 January 2018 by Gazza

It was doomed to failure needing glasses......I take my reading glasses off at every possible occasion. Even if it was better, without glasses,  would not be shopping for it. Each to their own.

Posted on: 14 January 2018 by GeeJay

Thanks Simon and Gazza,

I guess the point of my post was lack of co-ordination between TV manufacturers and movie/content providers,  e.g 3D BluRays still being issued, whilst TV manufacturers have ‘pulled the plug’ on 3D.  Even within the hardware arena, new BluRay players and AV amps are still supporting 3D.

Also a reminder that 3D has always been an option.  If you don’t like/get on with 3D, you don’t have to use it, however to remove 3D functionality for everyone on new screens seems harsh, especially when folks may have significant investment in 3D discs/content.

ATB.  G.

Posted on: 14 January 2018 by Finkfan

It’s a bit of a shame really as I’ve watched a few films in 3D and really enjoyed it. The glasses are the iSuw though. I do have a 3D tv and 3D BluRay player, but I didn’t buy either for the 3D function and i’ve never bought a 3D disc. Sky have dropped their 3D channel but some content is available on demand. Although I did enjoy a 3D movie I can quite happily live without it. Haven’t watched anything 3D in a couple of years now. 

Posted on: 14 January 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk

Yes the Sky 3D content is rather good, but yes all on demand 

Posted on: 15 January 2018 by Eloise

My big problem with 3D is that (to me) the best 3D effects are when they are at their subtlest ... which makes 3D kind of pointless!

And the glasses (passive in cinema or active shutter at home) tend to give me a headache.

(Dr Strange in 3D was pretty good).

Posted on: 15 January 2018 by tonym

I really enjoy 3D movies on the TV, some are really effective (The Martian, Avatar, Guardians of the Galaxy Pt 2 spring to mind). Unfortunately, there are a fair few that haven't been mastered very well for 3D. The other complication nowadays is the advent of 4K BluRays, none of which, AFAIK, are available in 3D, but then you get a better picture quality, as a result of the extra definition and HDR colour. If I had to choose, it'd be 4K over 3D. Still, our TV's fairly new and does both, so I won't be worrying for a few years. Then there'll be 8K...

Posted on: 17 January 2018 by rackkit
tonym posted:

I really enjoy 3D movies on the TV, some are really effective (The Martian, Avatar, Guardians of the Galaxy Pt 2 spring to mind). Unfortunately, there are a fair few that haven't been mastered very well for 3D. The other complication nowadays is the advent of 4K BluRays, none of which, AFAIK, are available in 3D, but then you get a better picture quality, as a result of the extra definition and HDR colour. If I had to choose, it'd be 4K over 3D. Still, our TV's fairly new and does both, so I won't be worrying for a few years. Then there'll be 8K...

I'm skipping 4k to go straight to 8. ????

Posted on: 17 January 2018 by GregWPGibbs

I “bypassed” 1080p, going from my old Pioneer plasma (may she rest in peace) to 4K. I’m sure they’re working on 16k. 

Posted on: 17 January 2018 by Nick Lees

I miss (passive) 3D too. It was fun. Apart from the movies, the David Attenborough documentaries Sky commissioned were a joy to watch.

Interestingly, after the launch of their 3D channel Sky considered it such a success that they seriously considered commissioning two more!

They were dissuaded by the quick realisation that there simply wasn’t the content. They hoped US cable content would jump on the tech but that never looked like happening.

Posted on: 17 January 2018 by Nick Lees
tonym posted:

One of the content issues Sky faced was the plethora of “re-mastered“ rubbish that opportunistic studios cranked out. 

Posted on: 21 January 2018 by Alley Cat

I've found this change very disappointing from the manufacturers - even if you had to pay a premium for a 3D enabled TV now I think those who have collections of 3D movies might do so when their existing sets needed replacement - you're stuck with getting an older 3d enabled TV if you can when you'd rather have a more modern set.

The technology is far from perfect but when you've invested in the equipment and discs it's a shame, but then I guess we just regard it as another betamax, laserdisc or HD DVD....

What I have found frustrating is all the versions of movies sold - most 4k discs don't come with a 3d disc though they often have the standard BluRay, and those discs that have 3D and standard BluRay don't have 4k which needs to be bought separately.  The movie companies are intent on killing physical media it seems to me, and I'm sure they'll be delighted when we can't play anything new without internet and subscriptions of some kind.

Posted on: 22 January 2018 by Eloise
Alley Cat posted:

The movie companies are intent on killing physical media it seems to me, and I'm sure they'll be delighted when we can't play anything new without internet and subscriptions of some kind.

I suspect you’re right... and long term it probably won’t be an “all you can eat (watch)” subscription either.  It will be payment per view.  A couple of quid for older content, up to £50 plus to view brand new still at the cinema content.

Posted on: 23 January 2018 by fatcat

It’s an outrage.

I had a similar problem when I bought my flat screen TV. It doesn’t have an analogue aerial input, I can’t use my sega megadrive.

Well, actually I can use it if I feed it through the video recorder, but it only displays a black and white image.

Posted on: 24 January 2018 by ricsimas
GeeJay posted:

Given that film studios are still showing new films at cinemas in 3D and are also selling 3D BluRays of new films (with a price premium over 2D BluRay), are we now ‘locked in’ to our existing screens, or do folks think this is a tech that may come back in the future (especially as OLED screens are getting brighter each year), or is it a ‘dead and buried’ technology?

ATB.  G

I'm sure it will come back just like it did a couple of years ago. - It is not the first wave, after all:

Posted on: 24 January 2018 by GeeJay
ricsimas posted:

I'm sure it will come back just like it did a couple of years ago. - It is not the first wave, after all:

I do hope so, however suspect that TV manufacturers are always looking at the ‘next big thing’, and whether it’s 8K, 16K, 88 inch OLED, Dolby Atmos, etc., it’s focussed on what new technologies are going to get consumers to open their wallets and buy a new screen.

Don’t think that 3D (as we know it) is going to feature in that ‘race for the wallet’ again though, and after Avatar triggered the initial hunger for 3D back in 2009, I’m not sure what would trigger a ‘3D renaissance’! 

Roll on the glasses-free 3D hologram  - “Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope. [looks to the side quickly, then crouches to end the message]” 

ATB.  George.

Posted on: 24 January 2018 by ricsimas
GeeJay posted:
ricsimas posted:

I do hope so, however suspect that TV manufacturers are always looking at the ‘next big thing’, and whether it’s 8K, 16K, 88 inch OLED, Dolby Atmos, etc., it’s focussed on what new technologies are going to get consumers to open their wallets and buy a new screen.

Don’t think that 3D (as we know it) is going to feature in that ‘race for the wallet’ again though, and after Avatar triggered the initial hunger for 3D back in 2009, I’m not sure what would trigger a ‘3D renaissance’! 

Roll on the glasses-free 3D hologram  - “Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope. [looks to the side quickly, then crouches to end the message]” 

ATB.  George.

I was joking, I'm afraid. I don't think it's coming back any time soon as the uptake just wasn't there.

Posted on: 24 January 2018 by Ravenswood10

I always found I couldn’t watch 3D for sustained periods - made me feel queezy. I still prefer 2D in cinemas for the same reason - still at least the seats are cheaper! I still prefer the non-HDR setting on my Oppo 205 feeding my LG OLED. Perhaps I should go back to my 12 inch black and white Prinz telly