What's on your Vinyl LP re-issue wish list, and why?

Posted by: Richard Dane on 18 January 2018

In a recent post regarding the recent Cheap Xmas LP set from Donald Fagen I made a wish for a similar set to be issued at some pint in the future of Steely Dan's output.  With recent events in mind, I guess we will just have to see on that. It may take a while as the lawyers do their thing.  However, it did set me thinking on what other issues from the past I'd like to see brought back - preferably done with care and from the best analogue source.  Two or three immediately sprang to mind - all forgotten British Jazz gems that have only really begun to more widely appreciated in recent years;

First up, is the Don Rendell and Ian Carr Quartet's sublime Shades of Blue.  Originally issued in '65 on a mono LP, this was given a wonderful Stereo CD release a decade or so ago by BGO (paired with the equally lovely Dusk Fire - can we have that on LP too?) but so far, apart from a rather dodgy unofficial "e-bay" LP release a couple of years ago, there been nothing on vinyl since the first issue.  Incidentally original LPs are crazily expensive now.  I first heard this one around 10 or 11 years ago thanks to a colleague at Naim.  I fell in love immediately. The CD release sounds really good - and stereo too - and is a stone-cold bargain at around a tenner.  I'd love to hear a full-on analogue LP reissue of this one, whether mono, or stereo (or both, I can be greedy).

Second is another forgotten (OK, slightly less forgotten) British jazz gem, the Stan Tracey Quartet's Under Milk Wood Jazz Suite. Also from '65 (must have been a great year!) this one had both a mono and stereo LP original release as well as a reissue in the mid '70s.  I first caught it on Gilles Petersen's second "Impressed" volume and quickly bought the CD and vinyl of those great compilations.  The original LPs are expensive, if way more affordable than Shades of Blue.  There's an excellent CD issue from Resteamed though and the '70s reissue is fairly affordable, but again I'd love a really great analogue vinyl reissue of this one. 

Both this and the Shades of Blue (Oh, OK and Dusk Fire) would be a great project for Vocalion or perhaps even Gearbox records.  If anyone wants to reissue either of these, and they're prepared to do the job right, then I'll be first in the queue with wallet in hand...

So, what's on your vinyl reissue wish-list, and why..?

Posted on: 19 January 2018 by Kevin-W

One thing I would like to see reissued on vinyl is something that's only ever been available on CD, and that's the Floyd's Is There Anybody Out There? The Wall Live 1980-81; perhaps the definitive version of Roger Waters' plasterwork. SQ is great and it was recorded on analogue 32-track by James Guthrie, IIRC.

Posted on: 19 January 2018 by joerand

McCartney's "Chaos and Creation in the Backyard". Because it's among his top five albums and there was a very limited original vinyl release in 2005 making the current new or used LP price exorbitant. The CD is extremely compressed with an average DR of 5. The vinyl doubled the CD's DR at 10; still not a great DR figure but a 100% improvement. I'd love to see a re-mastered vinyl version with even better overall DR. There was at one time an on-line petition with over 4K responses for Macca to re-release the LP, but the link is now dead. Anyway, with that kind of chatter, you'd think someone in Macca's marketing camp would have taken notice. Aside from all that, the cover photo is fantastic and deserves to be seen in 12" format.

Posted on: 09 February 2018 by Hook

Bowie’s Scary Monsters, because my original US release is noisy.  Wonder why this one hasn’t already happened?

Would also like to see Music Matters restart its Blue Note 33rpm reissue series. They did such a fine job, and there are still so many great titles to dig out of the vault!

Posted on: 10 February 2018 by Richard Dane

Further to another earlier post, I'd love to see all the Steely Dan albums reissued on vinyl.  Of course, there are some problems - for one, it may be some time until agreements among various parties are settled, for another I recall reading somewhere that the some if not all of the original master tapes are lost.

Posted on: 10 February 2018 by Happy Listener

Anita Baker - The Songstress, is my choice (AFAIK this is her debut album).

I have an original version which has a tendency to be sibilant in parts (system improvements have reduced this a lot) e.g. it seems AB's vocal range can go so high, it sounds like she's shouting (or is she?). The CD versions I've heard are worse than the vinyl.

I'd love to hear it suitably reissued/remastered?

Posted on: 10 February 2018 by joerand
Richard Dane posted:

I recall reading somewhere that the some if not all of the original master tapes are lost.

That's the prevailing cyber wisdom, notable topic chatter found by searching the SH forum. Supposedly many original tapes were lost even before they could be transferred to CD.  More reason to seek out original LPs AFAIC. Steely Dan LPs sold in droves and at least where I live, OPs and early pressings are readily found in local record shops.

OTOH, cyber rumors exist regarding the provenance of the tapes used for the original CD release of The Beatles Help! circa 1987. I find that CD excellent for SQ. Place value where you will on the cyber-rumor-mill's credibility.

Posted on: 10 February 2018 by Clive B

It would be nice simply to have original analogue mixes reissued on vinyl rather than them having to be digitally remastered. I'd particularly like to see the original Genesis mixes reissued on vinyl since buying secondhand is such a variable experience. And why are most reissues released on 180g vinyl? Why do the record companies think we need that, or is it simply to justify a higher price? Most of my best sounding albums are on standard lightweight vinyl. 

Posted on: 11 February 2018 by NFG
Clive B posted:

It would be nice simply to have original analogue mixes reissued on vinyl rather than them having to be digitally remastered. I'd particularly like to see the original Genesis mixes reissued on vinyl since buying secondhand is such a variable experience. And why are most reissues released on 180g vinyl? Why do the record companies think we need that, or is it simply to justify a higher price? Most of my best sounding albums are on standard lightweight vinyl. 

I agree entirely, digitally remastered seems little more than marketing hype to me, if its digit it must be better? not always in my experience. I'm sure there are some good ones, but I havnt found many.

Same applies to 180g vinyl. Would be wonderful if there was an index of 1-100 to grade the sound quality like wine .

Posted on: 29 March 2018 by joerand
joerand posted:

McCartney's "Chaos and Creation in the Backyard".

Seems my wish has been granted. Word just out 'Chaos and Creation' will be reissued on LP. $23 for black vinyl, $30 for gold vinyl. Woohoo!

Posted on: 17 April 2018 by Richard Dane
joerand posted:
joerand posted:

Seems my wish has been granted. Word just out 'Chaos and Creation' will be reissued on LP. $23 for black vinyl, $30 for gold vinyl. Woohoo!

I didn't have a copy of this album and your post prompted me to get it on CD.  Thank you so much.  I love it!  

I think I now have a (possibly irrationa)l hankering for the reissued LP...

Posted on: 17 April 2018 by ALANP
joerand posted:
joerand posted:

Hi Joe, have you pre-ordered?  Please let us know how you rate the vinyl.I have yet to buy an LP that I purchased on CD first but this sounds promising because as you say the mastering is not the best but the material is certainly up to scratch.It seems McCartney was on form at this time as the bonus tracks on various cd singles attest  as some are better than the songs that made it to the album.

Cheers Alan

ps will you go for the coloured vinyl ?

Posted on: 17 April 2018 by Alley Cat

Nice thread idea.  I was going to say this, but see it was released a few years ago:

Why, it's always sounded great on vinyl for me (except on my Nova since firmware upgrade) but I'd not realised how wear is evident on my original copy until recently.

Posted on: 17 April 2018 by T38.45

Michael Franks, David Sylvian, Steely Dan yes!, High Llamas, Stereolab, nits, Lambchop.

Love those groups and some albums are very expensive...

Posted on: 12 May 2018 by notnaim man

The David Lindley catalogue, especially the Twango Bango set. As well as the musicianship, I would love to see the rug pulled on the crazy stupid prices these fetch by having rarity and collectible status.

Posted on: 12 May 2018 by tom539

Would be „a dream come truth“ for me - this brilliant debut from Seal:

Why?

Listen to violet - and you will know...

Posted on: 19 May 2018 by av in bc

kate bush - red shoes and aerial.
especially aerial as the original or some of the few originals are defective.

Image result for aerial kate bushImage result for red shoes kate bush

Posted on: 24 May 2018 by av in bc

love to see this too one of these days.Image result for King Crimson ?– THRAK
(so much useless vinyl being repressed and yet so many worthwhile ones that are not) 

Posted on: 24 May 2018 by Bob the Builder
Alley Cat posted:

Nice thread idea.  I was going to say this, but see it was released a few years ago:

Why, it's always sounded great on vinyl for me (except on my Nova since firmware upgrade) but I'd not realised how wear is evident on my original copy until recently.

There is a remaster out of this and a couple of other Sade LP's by Audio Fidelity that is apparently really excellent although very expensive now. Great LP had a bit of a teenage crush on Sade and still do!